Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
chez

Sweet Potato

In a fit of middle class denial I have bought some sweet potato. How do I cook it? I was thinking of making a mash with carrot and chives and butter. Do I just bake it like a regular potato and mash it up?
jamanda

Yes. Or even easier just bung it in the oven like a jacket spud and put the butter on after.
chez

Brill. See how healthy I am! We are having it with home-made trout fishcakes.
Nell Merionwen

Just treat it like a normal spud. You'll never look back!
DorsetScott

Cut into wedges and cooked in the oven makes awesome chips!! But as the others have said, anything potato can do, sweet potato can do too.
I'm growing 4 different varieties at the allotment as the kids love them (makes a great puree for the youngest). Think I may have a glut soon with 20 plants Shocked
NorthernMonkeyGirl

It's delicious done any way Very Happy

It does get softer than normal spud though.
OtleyLad

Makes a great 'thickener' for soups and stews as it breaks down completely if cooked long enough.

I wish I could grow them but I end up with lots of top growth and long trailing stems - and weedy little roots Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
DorsetScott

I wish I could grow them but I end up with lots of top growth and long trailing stems - and weedy little roots Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Don't say that!!!!!!

I've got 2 types planted on their own, loads of fantastic top growth.
I've got another 2 underplanting my Disco Fiesta Popcorn, really doesn't appear to have done very well judging it on the top growth. Hopefully at least one of them has put out decent tubers.
Nick

I've not managed to deep fry them without them going mushy. Otherwise, treat as spuds.
marigold

I think they are vile baked or boiled (far too sweet, though just about tolerable with a butter, a lot of salt, black pepper and garlic chives). Best used to thicken tomato soup that would otherwise be a bit sharp, IMO.
Green Rosie

I have two plants growing somewhere deep under the rampant pumpkins in the polytunnel - I'm hoping to get at least enough crop to justify the 6€ I spent on the young plants. Never tried them before, they were an impulse buy Embarassed
Shan

Brilliant on the BBQ. Cut into 2 cm rings, brush with olive oil and cook.
tahir

I think they are vile baked or boiled (far too sweet, though just about tolerable with a butter, a lot of salt, black pepper and garlic chives)

In Pakistan/India butter, chilli and lemon juice, delish, I think eating the skin wth it takes the edge off the sweetness too.
Shan

I agree - we never peel them. marigold

I think they are vile baked or boiled (far too sweet, though just about tolerable with a butter, a lot of salt, black pepper and garlic chives)

In Pakistan/India butter, chilli and lemon juice, delish, I think eating the skin wth it takes the edge off the sweetness too.

Thanks tahir - I've always discarded the skin. I'll try some with chilli and lemon juice next time I see some reduced to pennies in the Co-op. I never buy veg I don't much like at full price Smile
Mr O

Roasted with a joint ( of meat ) they are great, but if you can't do with Parsnips then the sweetness of them will put you off, salt and pepper help. but after all they are not called Sweet potatoes for nothing. Each to their own.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home