Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
bibbster

Sweet Potatoes

Does anyone who has grown these know whether or not they need earthing up like potatoes? I thought not, but someone has put a doubt in my mind Shocked Rolling Eyes
ta
mochyn

I saw sweet potatoes used as ornamental bedding in Tenby the other week.
bibbster

Apparently they look a bit like the dreaded bindweed Shocked
But are quite pretty.
Slim

No they don't need hilling. They are happy to creep along the surface of the soil, and the vines will re-root readily. Can be a pain for cultivation.

Thrive on top of black plastic mulch (or IRT plastic mulch even more so)
Chez

It was me who made Ali doubt Smile. I have six slips in a four foot by three foot bed. Is that too dense? I just keep watering them and let them get on with it? Should I space them a bit more?
Snowball

Mine are in large pots in the polytunnel. I am pretty sure they don't need earthing up
Slim

It was me who made Ali doubt Smile. I have six slips in a four foot by three foot bed. Is that too dense? I just keep watering them and let them get on with it? Should I space them a bit more?

No, that should be enough room. If your season is long enough, they'll just keep filling whatever space they can find. They're just creepers.

Here our season is so short that we favor plastic mulch because it prevents them from rooting down again at least until they grow out between the rows. That way the primary tubers that get formed where the slip was planted get a bit more head start before the plant tries to send energy to other tubers where it has rooted down between rows.
gardening-girl

They climb well.This year ours are growing upwards.
tringle

I tried them last year but they did nothing, they may have got too dry.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home