Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Switching speakers in software.

I've been given a new set of PC speakers. For practical reasons (plug location) it is better with the right hand speaker on the left and the left speaker on the right, but of course the sound comes out the wrong way around.
Obviously for many things that doesn't matter, but I'd like it to be right.
Is there any sensible way to reverse it it software somehow?
henchard

Re: Switching speakers in software.

I've been given a new set of PC speakers. For practical reasons (plug location) it is better with the right hand speaker on the left and the left speaker on the right, but of course the sound comes out the wrong way around.
Obviously for many things that doesn't matter, but I'd like it to be right.
Is there any sensible way to reverse it it software somehow?

Probably not see

http://superuser.com/questions/22514/how-do-i-swap-audio-output-of-the-left-and-right-speakers

As they say why not hardwire a short extension cable and switch the connections?
dpack

As they say why not hardwire a short extension cable and switch the connections?

that.

the software option can be done but swap the wires is far easier
Hairyloon

Because I don't have the parts to hand, and it ought to be easier to do it in software.

Quote:
the software option can be done but swap the wires is far easier

And that is probably the way I will go, but for now, I will put up with it.
henchard

Because I don't have the parts to hand,

99p from Ebay including delivery (and a bit of bodging)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Plug-to-Socket-Aux-Headphone-Audio-Extension-Cable-Lead-Gold-/360945905000?
Hairyloon

They look like moulded plugs, so won't come apart to be re-soldered. I have probably got the necessary bits kicking around somewhere...
Slightly surprised that you can't get them on ebay already made up. You can get pretty much anything else.
stumbling goat

Stand on your head while listening. Cheap, as in zero cost, instant solution as in, you can do it now. Result. WIN WIN!

hth

sg
Hairyloon

Demonstrating once again another of the great things about Downsizer: we can always find a practical solution.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home