Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Cathryn

Tablet advice please

My Mum is now keen to get online so we are sorting out broadband for her.

I'd like to get her at least a 10" tablet and I think the critical thing is that it needs a clear crisp screen.

She is not going to need the all singing dancing tablets my siblings have suggested. I can imagine that she will enjoy iplayer to catch up on things she might have missed and her favourite clothes shops are going to do well!

She is 83 with early glaucoma and completely, completely new to this. Smile

There are tablets like this one -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDROID-Camera-TABLET-ROM16GB-Bluetooth/dp/B00H2K1U46

Trouble is we can't see them to try so can you suggest what I should be looking for? Can anyone recommend something from their experience?
wellington womble

I know there are other tablets available, and I know they are expensive, but I can't recommend an ipad highly enough. They are so much more simple and intuitive to use. I've know several complete Luddites manage them with no problems. Jenna could use one independently at 2 (long, long before she could read) almost straight away. The previous version is just a lottie heavier, which I imagine won't be an issue for you, so second hand might be an option?

They also seem to be robust - both physically and technogically. And they are set to back up to iCloud automatically, whenever they are plugged in and connected to wifi.
Nick

As above, with the added caveat that iPads no longer function acceptably quickly, without crashing, on the latest iOS. Look to at least ipad 2.
JB

I got an ipad for my mother in law. She has sight problems so the screen size was an essential upgrade to her ipod, also apple are very good at supporting accessibility options albeit that I spend a few minutes moving all the not useful apps off the screen and setting up the accessibilty options. I know they are more expensive but I would recommend them.
alison

I would also agree.

The after care service is fantastic, not that we have needed it too often for the ipad, but we do have a lot of apple products.
sgt.colon

Whatever you do please do not buy one of those cheap ones off Amazon. They are utter rubbish. We bought one one Christmas a few years ago for our son. A 10" one and it was slow and at times unresponsive. Painful to try and do anything on. We sent it back, paid a little more and got his a 7" Nexus.

I know that the named brands are more expensive but remember the quality is far superior and so is the screen. Buy cheap buy twice.
Cathryn

Have to admit that I had also thought the same thing. Her grandchildren are going to be very envious. Smile
Chez

I think the Samsung Galaxy range are as good if not better than the ipads screen-wise - and I prefer the Android OS.

I think that your choice should depend on whether the person giving her support has one or the other - we are all Android except Nenna now and switching between the two is a bit much for my old brain Smile
vegplot

I very rarely use my iPad so I can't give an honest appraisal. I dislike the operating system and user interface but the hardware is good. I'm never happy about contributing to Apple's cash pile either.

Given the chance I'd give Android a go. It has far more going for it in terms of general acceptance and software apps etc.

Be very careful though of the nasty apps. Apple has had a better history of protecting users compared to Andy.

However for me you can't beat the Surface Pro 3 but given the user that's perhaps a bit of a overkill.
wellington womble

I think the Samsung Galaxy range are as good if not better than the ipads screen-wise - and I prefer the Android OS.

Funny, I can't make head nor tail of android stuff.
sean

Yeah but Chez spends *hours* faffing about with Linux. She likes that sort of thing and wouldn't recognise user-friendly if it bit her.
Behemoth

Screen is smaller that you want/need but Tesco Hudl is which's best buy after Ipad.
Nick

Screen is smaller that you want/need but Tesco Hudl is which's best buy after Ipad.

The Best Loser.
Chez

Yeah but Chez spends *hours* faffing about with Linux. She likes that sort of thing and wouldn't recognise user-friendly if it bit her.

Rubbish. I am the epitome of user-friendly Smile.
Behemoth

The Best Loser.

and 120 to spend on films/tv series.
Behemoth

Top best buys:

Which? score: 79%
Price: 530.00
Launch date: Jan 2013
Find lowest price

Acer - Iconia W510

Somewhere between a tablet and a laptop - the Acer Iconia W510 is designed to be the ultimate portable companion for work and play. Have Acer managed to get the balance right? Or does this hybrid tablet/laptop solution make too many compromises to perform well in either category? Our tests reveal all.

The Acer scores very well, and is only a couple of percentage points behind the iPad, our highest-scoring tablet. This high score is in part due to the outstanding battery life available when you use the tablet with the keyboard attached. Overall, this tablet is great for anyone wanting a device that will go the distance when using it out and about and that can run normal Windows programs.

Read more about Acer Iconia W510

Price: 479.00
Launch date: Nov 2013
Find lowest price

Apple - iPad Air 32GB wi-fi

The hotly anticipated new Apple iPad is here - and it's had a make-over. Christened the iPad Air, it's the sleekest and lightest ten-inch tablet around. But it's not just the outside that's undergone changes. On the inside it runs the A7 processor chip, and it is claimed to offer lightning speeds. We subjected it to our gruelling lab tests to see just how good it really is. Read on for the full review.

You pay a premium for Apple products, but in return you'll get a well-designed tablet inside and out. The iPad Air lives up to its name, as it is exceptionally light for a large-screen tablet. The bezel is thinner than ever, and it resembles the iPad mini. Battery life is excellent and the processor is super-speedy.

Read more about Apple iPad Air 32GB wi-fi

Price: 400.00
Launch date: Jul 2014
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Tab S 10.5

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is yet another Android tablet from Korean manufacturer Samsung. It's the company's flagship model, designed to rival the iPad Air, and is equipped with an AMOLED screen and fingerprint reader. Find out whether it gives Apple anything to worry about in our full review below.

This tablet is every bit as good as the market leader, the iPad Air. It has a dazzling screen, it's super-fast and you can expand the memory by a generous 128GB. It scores exactly the same as the smaller version, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 - so if you prefer something a little more compact (and cheaper), have a look at that too before making your decision.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5

Price: 319.00
Launch date: Jul 2014
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Samsung churns out tablets like nobody's business. The latest in its extensive range is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, claims to offer 'stunningly vivid' image quality. But does this tablet really have what it takes to be a clear winner? We ran it through our test lab to find out.

This is a fantastic tablet that comes out with top results in our tests, equalling the market-leading iPad Air. It has a dazzling screen, it's light, and it's the first tablet to come with a fingerprint reader for added security.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Price: 449.00
Launch date: Dec 2014
Find lowest price

Amazon - Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 2014

The latest Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is the third model in the range. Amazon claims it's 'the most powerful tablet ever'. We put this claim to the test, as well as assessing its screen, battery and how easy it is to use, as part of our rigorous lab tests. Find out how it scored in our full review below.

The HDX is one of the best tablets we've tested - scoring the same as the iPad Air and Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It has a great screen, good battery life and fast processor. We also like the Mayday feature, unique to Amazon products, that provides a 24/7 video link to staff who are on hand to help solve your technical queries.

Read more about Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 2014

Which? score: 78%
Price: 399.00
Launch date: Oct 2014
Find lowest price

Apple - iPad Air 2

The new iPad Air 2 seeks to continue Apple's trend for innovation, with a slimmer design and new fingerprint reader. But does the iPad Air 2 offer decent battery life? And is it worth the expensive price tag? We scrutinised every aspect in our lab tests - read on for our full review of the Apple iPad Air 2.

There's no question that this is a fantastic tablet, but it doesn't quite equal the score of its predecessor. This is down to the fact that Apple has slimmed down the device and in doing so reduced the size of the battery resulting in shorter battery life.

Read more about Apple iPad Air 2

Find lowest price

Apple - iPad mini 3

The iPad mini 3 is Apple's latest small-screen tablet. Since Apple went back on its promise of years past and released a seven-inch version of its popular iPad, iPad mini tablets have been flying off the shelves. Apple is seeking to continue this trend with its brand new iPad mini 3. It looks the same as its predecessor and features the same Retina screen. But how does the battery life compare? And is it speedier? Read our full review to see exactly how it fared in our tough lab tests.

There's no question that this is a fantastic tablet. It combines a fast processor and a crisp screen with Apple's easy to use operating system. Yet it hasn't made a great leap forward when compared to its predecessor - the only new feature is the fingerprint reader. Before parting with your cash, also consider the larger iPad Air, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and last year's mini.

Read more about Apple iPad mini 3

Price: 449.00
Launch date: Oct 2013
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

Samsung hopes that its new and improved Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition will take the crown from the popular Apple iPad. It has more pixels than ever before, giving it a punchy screen, but does it have enough battery and processor power to contend with the iPad? We subjected it to our gruelling lab tests to find out.

One of the best tablets we've ever tested, this is a great option for anyone wanting a full-sized Android tablet. It has a bright and crisp screen, speedy processor and is equipped with a handy stylus. It's a worthy rival to the iPad but comes at a price - in fact the Note is actually more expensive that the same specification iPad.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

Which? score: 77%
Price: 279.00
Launch date: Mar 2014
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

The baby of the Galaxy Pro family, the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 gives you more power and a slightly bigger, higher-definition screen than the standard Galaxy Tab 3 8, plus a better camera and the same software enhancements found on the larger Galaxy Tab Pro models. Is this enough to give the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 an edge over other small-screen Android tablets?

In most cases, yes. It might be more expensive than rival Android models, but it has a fast processor, an excellent high-resolution screen, and it's still small enough and light enough to be taken almost anywhere. Perhaps some of Samsung's features make more sense on the larger Galaxy Pro models, but advanced users will struggle to find a better small-screen tablet than this.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Which? score: 77%
Price: 379.00
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

If you don't want the size or price tag of the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, then the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 might fit the bill. It's smaller and cheaper with a 10.1-inch screen, but it still has the high resolution, fast eight-core processor and software enhancements of Samsung's Galaxy Pro range. Is this the ultimate 10.1-inch Android tablet for advanced users?

It's certainly close to the mark. The screen might be two inches smaller, but it still has the same high 1,600x2,560 resolution, matching the Google Nexus 10 and beating Apple's Retina display. It's fast, with excellent battery life, and Samsung's user-interface improvements work as well on a 10.1-inch screen as they do on the bigger Pro models. It's a great tablet - and in some ways more practical and affordable than the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

Which? score: 76%
Price: 549.00
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 is effectively the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 without the stylus. Like its sibling, it's an ambitious Android tablet with a massive 12.2-inch screen, powered by an eight-core processor and running software designed to appeal to the more advanced user. Samsung claims this combination is capable of powering both entertainment and productivity tasks, but is the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 the ultimate tablet for those that work as hard as they play?

The Tab Pro 12.2 certainly strikes a good balance between creating and consuming content. Like the Note Pro 12.2 it has an excellent high-resolution screen and a lot of horsepower under the bonnet. Samsung's software has some great features for expert users, making for a more versatile Android tablet. Some design issues and sound issues mean it's not quite perfect, but if you're happy to take some extra size and weight in pursuit of power, then the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 is a formidable device.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2

Price: 500.00
Find lowest price

Samsung - Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

With its new Pro range, Samsung is stretching the Android tablet further than ever before. The screen is a roomy 12.2-inches across the diagonal and it offers new multi-tasking capabilities and productivity apps. Is the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 the perfect tablet for blending work and play, or an unwieldy beast that doesn't handle either task well? We put it to the test to find out.

The size might make it less portable than traditional tablets but overall the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. is brilliant. It has a fantastic screen, excellent battery life, a great stylus and some very versatile software, and while it's larger than your usual slate, it's still slim and fairly light. Those extra two inches of screen space come at a premium, but if you're looking for a tablet you can work on it's an excellent choice.

Read more about Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

Price: 359.00
Launch date: Jan 2014
Find lowest price

Microsoft - Surface 2

Advertised as leaner and meaner than its predecessor, the Microsoft Surface 2 is a tablet designed to enable you to do more than just browse the internet. But what is this Windows RT tablet really like to work on? Is the processor fast enough? We put it to the test in our lab - read on to find out how it stacked up.

The Surface 2 is a fantastic option for those wanting the familiarity of a Windows device but in tablet form. It's quick, has a decent screen and access to Office apps such as Word and Excel.

Read more about Microsoft Surface 2

Price: 425.00
Launch date: Jan 2014
Find lowest price

Nokia - Lumia 2520

Once a giant of the mobile phone market, Nokia is now searching for success in the tablets market with its Nokia Lumia 2520. This tablet runs the mobile version of Windows, which means you can use Word, Excel and PowerPoint apps. But does it offer sufficient battery stamina to keep you going all day? We subjected it to our challenging tests to find out.

This tablet combines a useful and versatile operating system with a decent screen and well-designed exterior. Overall this is a good bet for those looking for a portable device for both work and play.

Read more about Nokia Lumia 2520

Which? score: 75%
Price: 499.00
Launch date: Oct 2012
Find lowest price

Apple - iPad with Retina display (16GB + 4G)

The iPad with Retina display is the upgrade from the iPad 3. They look identical and both have the same high quality retina screen, but Apple claims to have upgraded the processor. How much of a difference does it make? We sent it to the lab to find out.

It's a minor update, so it's no surprise to see it remains our highest-scoring tablet. It's incredibly fast, the screen is stunning and it's so simple anyone can pick it up and start using it. The only downside is the so-so audio quality.

Read more about Apple iPad with Retina display (16GB + 4G)

Price: 369.00
Launch date: Oct 2012
Find lowest price

Apple - iPad Mini (16GB + 4G)

Steve Jobs famously called 7-inch tablets 'dead on arrival' but the iPad Mini sees Apple go back on this statement . The hotly awaited iPad Mini has a 7.9-inch screen and is light and portable and Apple claims it's 'every inch an iPad'. We put this claim to the test in our labs.

Its screen isn't as sharp as the best tablets, but it's still a great all-rounder and a deserving Best Buy. It's super light and portable - ideal for commuters. It plays video and browses the web smoothly with no lag or delay. Plus the sound and cameras have improved in comparison to earlier models.

Read more about Apple iPad Mini (16GB + 4G)

Find lowest price

Apple - iPad mini with Retina display

The second-generation Apple iPad mini is now on the shelves in the UK. It's a little heftier than its predecessor, but does have the famed Retina screen and a faster processor. But is it really than much better than the older iPad mini? We ran it through our lab tests to find out.

The sleek design, speedy processor and super-sharp screen combine to make this a fantastic tablet. It's among the highest-scoring tablets in our tests, and only just behind the full-sized iPad Air.

Read more about Apple iPad mini with Retina display

Price: 329.00
Find lowest price

Amazon - Kindle Fire HDX 8.9

The Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is one of the latest tablets from online retail giant Amazon. You may have seen the adverts on TV promoting the HDX - it features the unique new Mayday feature which provides 24-7 technical support to customers. We put it to the test in our rigorous lab tests. Find out how this tablet got on by reading our full review.

This is a fantastic tablet. It combines a clear screen, long battery life and nippy processor with an innovative new help feature that really makes this tablet stand out from the crowd. If you don't mind being locked into the Amazon operating system, then this is a great tablet.

Read more about Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9

Launch date: Nov 2014
Find lowest price

Google - Nexus 9

The long-awaited Google Nexus 9 (also known as the HTC Nexus 9) seeks to build on the success of Google's previous Nexus tablets. We like the sleek new design, but do the Nexus 9's processor, battery and screen live up to expectations? We ran it through our tough lab tests to find out.

This is great tablet - it may not be quite as high-scoring as the likes of the Samsung Tab S or the iPad Air, but it's still a worthy Best Buy. It has a decent screen, fast processor and runs on Google's own operating system, Android Lollipop 5.0.

Read more about Google Nexus 9
Hairyloon

I agree with Chez. Nicky Colour it green

I think that your choice should depend on whether the person giving her support has one or the other - we are all Android except Nenna now and switching between the two is a bit much for my old brain Smile

I agree - very happy with my samsung tab2, the OS is really simple, and the big advantage is you are not tied to apple and their whims. I have trouble helping my son with his ipad as I don't have one. When we got him a new phone, got him the exact same as mine (also android) - really handy when showing him how to use it. and obvy he now shows me....
Nick

The Best Loser.

True enough.

Why isn't the Tesco one mentioned in your review post?
Chez

I agree with Chez.

Bloody hell. Embarassed Laughing
gythagirl

I bought a Hudl2 in December - it cost 129 and I'm happy to say I absolutely love it. Does everything I want it to. MornieG

Got a Hudl from the Charity Shop cost me 10, love it got all I need on there. Watched Strictly Semi Final as I missed it on TV no problem.

Pete does have a Samsung Nexus 10, which he uses far more than I do mine, for over a year now and loves it. No problems at all with it ( touch wood ) shouldn't have said that, kiss of death to all electrical goods........

Mo.XX
bibbster

another vote for the Hudl2 here Wink Behemoth

The Best Loser.

True enough.

Why isn't the Tesco one mentioned in your review post?

Battery life compared to the leaders apparently. Though I was going off the magazine review which narrowed it down to iPad or tesco's.
Behemoth

Tablets: Compare features & prices
Tesco Hudl2 review
Review
Test results
Full specification
Customer views (14)
Compare prices
The original Tesco Hudl caused something of a stir, setting the standard for cheap tablets that actually do a good job. It flew off the shelves and left us with high expectations for the Tesco Hudl2. Can the new Hudl2 do as good a job as its predecessor? We subjected it to our tough lab tests to find out.

This is a fantastic tablet that misses out on a Best Buy by the narrowest of margins. It combines a punchy screen, fast processor and handy micro-SD card slot, making for a family tablet that genuinely offers great value for money. The only thing that lets it down and stops it clinching that Best Buy logo is the battery life.

What is it?
The Tesco Hudl2 is the follow up to the popular Tesco Hudl tablet. It runs on Google's Android operating system and has an 8.3-inch screen.

It's a budget and family-friendly tablet that comes in at a very reasonable 129. That's just 10 more than the original when it first came out and that extra tenner equates to a Hudl that's better than ever.

What's it like to use?
The Hudl2 is certainly better looking than the original. The screen may have grown and at 404g it weighs a bit more, but the bezel has shrunk, giving it a sleek and stylish appearance. The back cover is made of soft plastic, a durable material that helps make this tablet robust enough for young users. It comes in eight different colours, including 'zesty orange' and 'tropical turquoise', as well as more sober black and white.

The 8.3-inch screen is a good compromise between being portable yet still large enough to comfortably watch films and type documents. It's a more detailed screen than on the predecessor, with a 1920x1200-resolution display (up from 1440x900). This makes for a crisp and bright screen that's ideal for watching films and browsing the web. As with many tablets however, it does wash out a little when in bright daylight.

Generally the touchscreen reacts quickly and accurately to touch commands. Occasionally it'll need a slightly firmer press, but overall the screen is fantastic for such a cheap device.

The speakers provide decent sound - great for listening to the radio online.

The 1.83GHz processor means this tablet isn't quite as fast as the likes of latest iPad, but it still provides more than enough speed for browsing the internet and running apps. The only time we noticed a bit of lag was when rotating the device between landscape and portrait.

The front-facing 1.2Mp camera is good for taking the odd selfie as well as making Skype calls. And the excellent 5Mp rear camera is able to take Facebook-worthy snaps as well as decent videos.

We give Tesco a big thumbs up for including a micro-SD card slot. It's not something you'll find on the likes of the Google Nexus or the iPad and means that you can expand the on-board storage by an extra 32GB.

You can create separate user accounts so that each member of the family has their own login. And you can keep younger users safe thanks to the parental controls feature. This allows users to create up to seven profiles and tailor each one for a particular user - including what they can see and how long they can see it for.

This is a good device for those unfamiliar with tablet technology. The 'Get Started' feature provides explanations on how to use the Hudl and the 'Top Apps' also helps new users get the most out of their device.

What's the battery life like?
Sadly it's the battery life that stops this tablet from being a Best Buy. It lasts for nearly six and a half hours of video playback or just over seven and a half hours of wi-fi web browsing. This is OK, but it means that it doesn't have quite as much stamina as its predecessor, which manages more than 10 hours of video or just under nine hours of web browsing. The difference is down to the bigger screen, which needs more power, resulting in the battery draining faster.

Is there anything I should watch out for?
It runs Android 4.4.2, which isn't the latest version; nevertheless it's still an easy-to-use, well-designed operating system.

Is there anything else I should know?
If you've been saving up your Clubcard points it might be worth spending them on the Hudl. For every 5 worth of points, you get 10 off - that means that 65 worth of Clubcard points will pay for a Hudl2!

There is some Tesco content pre-loaded on the tablet. This includes the Tesco T app, which allows you to check your Clubcard points and shop online. It also comes pre-loaded with Blinkbox, Tesco's answer to Netflix. Despite these apps pointing towards Tesco content, the branding doesn't feel too intrusive and isn't a major problem.

Should I buy it?
Yes - we are really impressed with the Hudl2. Granted it doesn't have the highest specification out there. Instead it offers everything you need, without going overboard, for a sensible price. If you're after the best of the best, have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 instead.

Own this product?
Tell us what you think of it to help members and improve our testing - click on the 'Customer views' tab at the top of this page.

Pros: Great value, sharp screen, good speakers, expandable memory, fast processor

Cons: Battery life could be better, not the latest version of Android

Tesco hudl-2-video-image Next
Tesco hudl-2-video-image Tesco Hudl2
Tesco Hudl2
Which? score: 74%
Typical price
What is this?
Specification
Screen size (inches) 8.3
Claimed storage size (GB) 16.0
Test Programme Version 2014
View full specification
Test results
Web browsing 5 stars
Touchscreen response 4 stars
Battery 3 stars
View all test results
Review
Test results
Full specification
Customer views
Compare prices
gythagirl

I was concerned about the battery life of the Hudl2 when I read the review but I have no problem whatsoever - I guess if you're a gamer or watch lots of films it might be an issue. JB

Reality check -what does she want to do online and how bad is her sight? wellington womble

But it's android. My mum can pick up my ipad and make stuff happen. I can't even unlock her android phone. It's that obscure (to me, at least) gythagirl

What's the problem with Android? My Hudl2 is dead simple to operate (and it needs to be!). Cathryn

Reality check -what does she want to do online and how bad is her sight?

She has no idea yet and her sight is not too bad yet. The reality check is that I will go shopping with my sister, try out some of these out, thank you, and we will be sensible.

We can get her a better deal for her phone and broadband than she currently has with BT for phone only and if she doesn't use her tablet, there is already a queue forming. Smile
Cathryn

I thought I would update this thread.

We bought a Lenova tablet for my Mum but thank you for your advice. It helps to narrow down choices by having this conversation. It's the same tablet as my sister's so that in theory she would be able to phone her for the technical advice. In practice she has phoned us all and had her various grandchildren calling in as well to help.

She ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT! Very Happy

She emails us all (since one of her granddaughters worked out why everything was disappearing into draft). She browses the net, a little bit at the moment but she is fearless when it comes to pressing buttons and just keeps trying until she cracks it...or phones us.

She needed something to do with her very active mind. I must sort out BBC iplayer for her so that she can catch up with the programmes she falls asleep in. She hates missing Question Time for goodness sake. Can't believe she's my mother sometimes.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home