Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
gythagirl

Tablet/phone charger - interchangeable?

Ok, prob dim question but is a tablet charger interchangeable with a mobile phone charger? Both android.
sean

Depends on the connector and how much power input they need. Yes in principle though.
gythagirl

Well, they both fit each other! But I don't know about input, that's why I wondered...

It would just be very convenient to pack one charger for a weekend away!
sean

Are they the same make? And is there an output written on them somewhere?
Nick

Certainly with apple they are interchangeable. If one is lower it just takes a bit longer.
gythagirl

Thanks, I'll go do some peering at small numbers...but it sounds like I wouldn't do any harm!
Bodrighy

I use the same charger for my phone, nexus tablet and my PayPal card reader. The latter is supplied with a USB cable but it plugs into a mains adapter and works fine.

Pete
OtleyLad

We've both got Samsung phones and tablets and they can all use the same charger - we just switch USB leads as they have different end connectors.
They can both use the car (via cigarette lighter) charger too.
wellington womble

I tend to assume if it fits, then it's meant to work. It isn't foolproof, but nothing's exploded.
Cathryn

It can stop it working though so if it's an older nexus I would use the proper charger. This may have contributed to my nexus refusing to work.
vegplot

Re: Tablet/phone charger - interchangeable?

Ok, prob dim question but is a tablet charger interchangeable with a mobile phone charger? Both android.

Are they both the same make?
mark

The answer is - it depends !

Every device requires a certain amount of current to charge it effectively . This is given on the charger in Amps or mA (1000mA=1A)

typically old phone chagers give out about 500ma
Newer smartphones want about 1A
Tablets want around 2A -3A

S typically you phone charger will be underpowered for you tablet.
But your tablet charger will be fine for your phone !

The same applies to car chargers as well as wall chargers

This is all you need to know for most android phones - but it is worth knowing that some higher power gadgets use a clever trick to avoid avoid draining your computer power. They limit themselves to 500ma when connected the normal way to a USB port which won't kill your laptop but may not be enough to charge properly . But they also have a special fast charge cable or adapter which is wired differently - when they detect this different wiring they wil draw the full power they need to charge fast. With these gadgets sometimes you need to ensure you have the right charger/cable.
Jamanda

What ever you do don't buy a cheap version off ebay. They catch fire!
mark

What ever you do don't buy a cheap version off ebay. They catch fire!

LOL wasn't batch of Apple official ones found to do the same recently ?
dpack

voltage

power output in amps(ma)

so long as they are fairly close to the required input the kit will work
gythagirl

Nothing like tempting fate, is there?

Have been away for the weekend with the new tablet & charger, and upon return discovered 2 things: 1) that I left the charger in my hotel room, and 2) when tablet is plugged into my phone charger it comes up with the message 'plugged in...not charging' - !!!

Doh...

So my apologies for wasting everbody's time - but the info given has been stored away for future need. Sigh...

Embarassed
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home