Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
RichardW

Taking card payments

What do you all use?

I have signed up to Izettle

They all seem to charge about the same transaction fees & this one had the cheapest card reader at 59 inc VAT.

If you use that link you will get your first transaction free.
vegplot

Looks good - simple to use. Transaction fees are competitive.
Rob R

www.worldpayzinc.com - excellent service so far (2 years).
RichardW

I looked at that one Rob as I used to use them with a proper merchant account.

The reader was 30 more & the charges the same.

Ok it does do mail order stuff too but we only need face to face as the other stuff can be done on the website.
Bodrighy

We have Izettle and have found that as often as not we can't get a good enough signal on our mobiles to use it. Problem with doing larger shows in the country.

Pete
RichardW

LOL I guess that would be the same with any remote card device that used the same phone service.

Get a few diff PAYG sims & an unlocked phone. Switch em out till you get one that works. Luckily round here our phone has great coverage.
Mistress Rose

I would agree that the best one is the one you get signal on in most of the places you go. One reason we don't use a card reader is that some places round here have very poor coverage, even though it is in a fairly heavily populated area. Remember, it only needs one hill. Very Happy
RichardW

I would agree that the best one is the one you get signal on in most of the places you go. One reason we don't use a card reader is that some places round here have very poor coverage, even though it is in a fairly heavily populated area. Remember, it only needs one hill. Very Happy

That is not up to the device its up to the phone that you tether it too.
Mistress Rose

It is, but if you have a lot of places with no signal, it does influence whether you bother with a card reader at all. I didn't realise that they were all connected through an ordinary mobile; I thought some at least were free standing as it were.
RichardW

The bigger merchant account types have their own phone built in. The cheaper ones use your phone. With the ones that use your phone it would be simple to have more than one sim to increase your chance of getting a signal.

OK it might not be a 100% solution but having it available for even 50% of the time would be better than never being able to take cards.

I would think that craft traders would snap something like this up to increase sales at shows.
Rob R

As a deal like this costs nothing when not in use it's so cost effective, even if you don't use it very often. Just the virtual terminal alone saves 20 per month on Paypal fees.
Melli-Jane

we have signed up to iZettle, unfortunately our first show was at Singleton which is a complete dead zone for mobile signals. We both have smart phones on EE and Three with no result on either. Sadly, Singleton's own wifi was also struggling to transmit any signal. on speaking to other regular traders they had mobile card readers with roaming sims so that they could pick up whatever signal was best (at that location it's vodaphone or nothing). we will be looking at getting an unlocked smartphone with roaming sim in future.
izettle seems easy to use and those transactions we have done have worked well and the reporting is clear and easy.
Maplin now sell iZettle card readers if you wanted to poke and prod first!
vegplot

Perhaps show organisers need to be pressured in offering decent WiFi facilities to stall holders. It's not difficult.
RichardW

Perhaps show organisers need to be pressured in offering decent WiFi facilities to stall holders. It's not difficult.

It could be done quite cheaply too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home