Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Mr O

Tanning A Deer hide ?

My nieghbour five doors down has just shot a 8 tip white tailed buck, does anyone know how to go about tanning the hide?
Jamanda

BOT's your bloke for this.
Treacodactyl

This thread might be useful:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=3498
Brownbear

Sally in Wales also, I think, knows about this sort of thing.
Cobnut

I used a tanning kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies on a deer skin and it was really easy, and they were very helpful when I had a query too Smile
Blue Sky

Tanning any hide would be useful to me. I have a freezer near full of rabbit skins that have been asking to be cured for over six months and I dearly need that freezer space. It would also be nice to have a winter rug so will watch this space.
Brownbear

I saw that Whittingstall chap cure rabbit skins on the telly once - as I recall he stripped off any remaining bits of meat, then salted them and then just massaged the salt in for ages.

I wasn't paying close attention so he may have used something else, as well as the salt.
dpack

salt it for a day or two to make scraping the fatty bits ,meat ,connective gubbins etc off the inside

there are many ways to tan but all rely on good scraping

a flat board and curved blade suits some as does the reverse

takes me about an hour a square foot to do a good scraping job on a hide ,so allow time

a bit of a dry after scraping helps the cure to soak in

after curing it is important to stretch crinkle and soften for a flexible product

oak wasp galls are a great source of tannin but need a bucket to a deer skin so maybe a wheelbarrow of oak bark off the firewood is more convienient

brain tanning works but is smelly

chemicals work
Cathryn

What would you do with a box of Edwardian silver fox (possibly) pelts... Just asking...
sally_in_wales

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/A_sustainable_home/Alum_Tawed_Hides_and_Skins_in_Ten_Easy_Steps/
gil

Cathryn wrote:
What would you do with a box of Edwardian silver fox (possibly) pelts... Just asking...

And how long have those been in your freezer ?? Laughing

A stole.... lots of stoles.... coat collars.... hats.... mitts....
woodsprite

Wear them darling!
sally_in_wales

Cathryn wrote:

I could put you in touch with a fur trader who sells to re-enactors if that would be any help?
Cathryn

I did try to contact them (you gave me the details ages, years ago) but got no reply. Perhaps when you next see them next you could mention it. Tell them it wasn't a weird hoax. Smile I am really not sure wheterh to leave them in their interesting box for the next generation or do something with them. Rolling Eyes
sally_in_wales

hmm, if you know how much you want for them, we could put a post up direct on one of the living history sites?
Chez

Cathryn wrote:
I did try to contact them (you gave me the details ages, years ago) but got no reply. Perhaps when you next see them next you could mention it. Tell them it wasn't a weird hoax. Smile I am really not sure wheterh to leave them in their interesting box for the next generation or do something with them. Rolling Eyes

I think you should leave them. There's being overpractical, you know!
sean

That's what I always say: "That Cathryn, she's too practical for her own good."
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home