Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
gil

Tapping lime trees

About a month ago, I tried tapping lime trees for sap, but nothing emerged. Thought I'd left it too late.
Found out today that apparently the sap in lime trees does not rise properly until the leaves are out.

Looks as though that lime sap champagne experiment is on again. I'll be giving tapping a try soon, as the lime trees here are only just coming into leaf. (6 bottles as a wedding present, made from the home farm lime avenue).
dpack

try it .
i did try a few varieties of trees for taste / sugar .
next spring i might exploit them Laughing
gil

dpack wrote:
try it .
i did try a few varieties of trees for taste / sugar .
next spring i might exploit them Laughing

In what form ? Are you thinking of taking up homebrewing again ?
Surely you wouldn't exploit the trees ? I think of it more as a borrowing / recycling thing, and try to remember to thank them.
dpack

exploit is really the only word for it .
i do plant trees (i wont live long enough to exploit those )
i planted a pound of (soaked ) sweet chestnuts last week .
it is very unlikely i will eat the nuts of those trees
i have eaten nuts .
Laughing
i have used plants .
Laughing
plants are up for it though
Bernie66

Ray(Mears) has been on all day today on UK history or something. I caught him "tapping birch in England" about an hour ago when I stopped. Now i really want to get out next time i am off and bugger off into Wales for the weekend. I can feel the urge to escape getting stronger...........
cab

Do keep us all informed on the lime trees. What are they, broad leaved, small leaved (unlikely I know) or linden?
gil

cab wrote:
What are they, broad leaved, small leaved (unlikely I know) or linden?

Broad-leaved, huge great things the size of fully-grown beeches. Probably planted at the same time the farmhouse was built, late 19th century, as an avenue from the house to the road end.
gil

Leaves are out on the trees. Tried tapping again tonight. Still nothing. Wood barely moist.

Any suggestions ?
tahir

Isn't leaves out too late? I thought you had to get in at budburst?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home