Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Treacodactyl

Tesco vouchers...

Just been sent loads of Tesco vouchers and the first one is 12 off an 80 spend. Time to pay them a visit and stock up on the things we don't tend to find locally or grow ourselves. Very Happy
sally_in_wales

Might as well, I'm all in favour of eating into their profits if they send vouchers Very Happy
cab

Gah! I hate it when shops do that. "Money worth saving as long as you buy really expensive things you don't want or things you want in bulk but couldn't conceivably cycle home carrying". Damn them to hades for offers you have to have a car to make the most of.
Treacodactyl

cab wrote:
things you want in bulk but couldn't conceivably cycle home carrying

Don't worry, they can be used online for home delivery.
Penny Outskirts

They used to send us all sorts of things, but they seem to have got the message now, and we don't get anything at all Very Happy
cab

Treacodactyl wrote:

Thus clocking up road miles just the same and acquiring me pork pies in place of free range chickens they don't have? No, I'd rather burn calories while buying more.
Treacodactyl

You don't have to accept replacements and there's a reasonable arguement that home deliveries might keep cars *off* the road.

Anyway, what I intend to get could easily be put in a rucksack and we'll carry on getting our bulk items from Suma. Cool
sally_in_wales

Whilst I am trying to use supermarkets less I don't see why I shouldnt make the most of their vouchers if I happen to have them. We try to buy useful stuff with our occasional vouchers rather than 'novelty items' or things we'd have to top up with cash to afford, so I reason that I might as well use em.
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
Whilst I am trying to use supermarkets less I don't see why I shouldnt make the most of their vouchers if I happen to have them. We try to buy useful stuff with our occasional vouchers rather than 'novelty items' or things we'd have to top up with cash to afford, so I reason that I might as well use em.

Oh, absolutely make the most of such vouchers when you get 'em. If you can then its foolish not to. Its a gripe of mine that we also get vouchers like the one Treac. got, but to actually buy enough to get the money off we'd need access to a vehicle to get all that stuff home. Its a crying shame that those who get to a supermarket by a more sustainable (and healthy) means end up losing out.

Its rather like all the 'buy two, get the third free' offers you see; why can't they just be at 2/3 of the normaly price, then I can still carry everything home and make the most of the offer.

The very premis of such offers is that the customers will always be going by car so they can carry shedloads of stuff, and yeah, most customers are getting there that way. And as long as thats so, for as long as the supermarkets make it easy to get offers that way and for as long as they offer thumping great discounts as long as you buy more than you could conceivably carry, theres a real disincentive forpeople to get to the shop any other way. And I hate that, I hate it with a real passion, its a classic example of supermarkets operating in a way that is contrary to good the good of the environment and, indeed, against the interests of customers who want greater choice in how they shop Twisted Evil
dougal

cab wrote:
The very premis of such offers is that the customers will always be going by car so they can carry shedloads of stuff, and ...

Errrr. No, the basic premise is simply to offer bait that will help to shift shedloads of everything.
They really don't care if you take it away in a wheelbarrow...
Pilsbury

dougal wrote:

And if you do you can get green clubcard point just like Alan Titchmarsh

Sorry , i'll be of then Embarassed
sean

Just go and buy 80 quids' worth of spirits.
cab

dougal wrote:
cab wrote:
The very premis of such offers is that the customers will always be going by car so they can carry shedloads of stuff, and ...

Errrr. No, the basic premise is simply to offer bait that will help to shift shedloads of everything.

But as taking it home in a wheelbarrow ain't an option, its really pandering only to those who can drive to the stores. I totally accept that what the supermarket is doing is baiting people in to shift a lot of stock, but I rather resent the combination of location, masses of 'free' parking and bulk-buy marketing that make the whole thing so very seductive to the motorist, and so very un-seductive to anyone who isn't a motorist. Environmentally, and just in terms of sheer accessibility for a broader range of people, I've always thought that stinks.
cab

sean wrote:
Just go and buy 80 quids' worth of spirits.

Bleeding hell. That'd be some party afterward Laughing Thats more spirits than we get through in two years. We really should start drinking more.
Silas

cab wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Thus clocking up road miles just the same and acquiring me pork pies in place of free range chickens they don't have? No, I'd rather burn calories while buying more.

Err.. They do have free range chickens - drive to collect or have home delivery - its all the same.
sean

Not if you buy malt. It's about three bottles.
cab

Silas wrote:
Err.. They do have free range chickens - drive to collect or have home delivery - its all the same.

Didn't the last time I went into a Tescos (thumping great big place up in Histon, not far fromhere) a couple of months ago. We got back from her parents place up in Yorkshire, and actually had a hire car so we went to stock up on a few bulky things. I asked whether they had a free range chicken, and they didn't, but apparently the next day they were due to get two(!) delivered. Offered me a 'corn fed' one instead, as if that might be an appropriate substitute Sad
cab

sean wrote:

And at the rate we drink that in this house, thats more than three years worth of malt whisky. I hide the good stuff when family visit, you understand, otherwise they'd visit more often and it would hardly last at all.

Errm... Whats a 'normal' rate of comsuming spirits? Think I'm going to go get a glass of calvados and think about it.

Edit: Hmmm... Calvados. First spirits I've had in months.
sean

Dunno. I used to get free tasting samples, at which stage my consumption was probably quite high. Nowadays I have to pay for them, so between two of us it's prolly about half-a-dozen bottles/year.
cab

sean wrote:
Dunno. I used to get free tasting samples, at which stage my consumption was probably quite high. Nowadays I have to pay for them, so between two of us it's prolly about half-a-dozen bottles/year.

Gosh... Although thats three bottles each a year, doesn't sound so bad at all. I've got bottles with a wee bit left in from when I first moved down to Cambridge in 2000. I've seen my brothers and my dad get through a couple of bottles a week, each, quite easily. Always seemed rather excessive to me.
dougal

cab wrote:
... I rather resent the combination of location, masses of 'free' parking and bulk-buy marketing that make the whole thing so very seductive to the motorist, and so very un-seductive to anyone who isn't a motorist. Environmentally, and just in terms of sheer accessibility for a broader range of people, I've always thought that stinks.

So I take it they don't run free buses to your nearest stores, then?
Its something Tesco do organise in some parts, not sure if any of the other majors do?
I suppose in Cambridge the supermarkets must be surrounded with acres of bike sheds...

Very Happy
Treacodactyl

sean wrote:

You've been looking at my shopping list again. Shocked Some will be pressies so I don't even have to justify drinking them, anyone got any birch twigs? Laughing

I'm sure ours also has free range and organic chickens if you like that sort of thing, I've decided to not buy any until we can raise our own though so not looked in ages. Cool
cab

dougal wrote:

So I take it they don't run free buses to your nearest stores, then?
Its something Tesco do organise in some parts, not sure if any of the other majors do?

No. When Asda opened up in my home bit of Gateshead then they did that. Ran the busses from the main road (right in front of all the other shops) to Asda.

Even if they did do that here, I'd hate to have to get the bus back and forward from somewhere in cycling distance. I'd much rather, say, get three vouchers worth a third of a bigger voucher to turn the offer into rucksack sized chunks.

Quote:

I suppose in Cambridge the supermarkets must be surrounded with acres of bike sheds...

Acres is the wrong word Smile Theres the Tescos out on Newmarket Road that has good bike parking facilities, Tescos in Milton has terrible bike facilities, and Asda down on the Beehive Centre is sort of middling. Waitrose down out the other end of town is poor, if memory serves. Have no idea about the big Sainsburys, but the one in town suffers the same as any centrally placed bike locks (i.e. so many bikes, so hard to find a locking spot).

On the whole, I'd say that the bike spaces at shops here range from unbelievably poor (Scotdales, the big garden centre and the only one thats any good, have none!) through to quite good (Tescos on Newmarket Road is perhaps the best in town).
bagpuss

The tescos at milton generally has plenty of free range and organic meat both british and otherwise and if I have forgotted to get anything out of the freezer on a monday night when we "shock horror" go the the supermarket I will tend to buy something

interestingly tescos have started offering free range precooked chickens too!
cab

bagpuss wrote:
The tescos at milton generally has plenty of free range and organic meat both british and otherwise ...

Not when I've gone in it hasn't Sad
Bernie66

They will only have delivered what they believe they can sell, if you are going in at the end of the day then you can pretty much be certain that some product will, rightly or wrongly be sold out.
Mind, its constantly sold out then its a good indicator that you need to order some more in my book.
Jonnyboy

cab wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
The tescos at milton generally has plenty of free range and organic meat both british and otherwise ...

Not when I've gone in it hasn't Sad

All the major supers now sell a wide selection of free range and organic products. From some of the advertising I've seen recently they are starting to push their local suppliers as well.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

All the major supers now sell a wide selection of free range and organic products. From some of the advertising I've seen recently they are starting to push their local suppliers as well.

All true of course. Some of it has even filtered through and is having an impact. Doesn't mean that Tescos has had chickens I'd be willing to buy any time I've been in lately.

Thank heavens we've got a good butcher Wink
Treacodactyl

Well my local one had plenty of Organic chickens in and I'm happy to report UK organic beef rather than Argentinian. Plenty of UK fruit 'n veg, much more than a local farm shop I visited last week.

How on earth though do they manage to sell perfectly reasonable jeans for 3 - that's the full price.
Bernie66

Treacodactyl wrote:

How on earth though do they manage to sell perfectly reasonable jeans for 3 - that's the full price.

Buy in bulk and keep the wholesale costs down. Can't see that they will be paying too much to the suppliers for them.
Northern_Lad

Treacodactyl wrote:

Because the quality's total carp. My mum bought a pair and after a couple of wares and washes they were mishappen and waring quite obviously.
Bernie66

I wear them for work and I must be mishapen too because i haven't noticed that with them, or don't care enough what they look like to notice, one of the two anyway.
Treacodactyl

Northern_Lad wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Because the quality's total carp. My mum bought a pair and after a couple of wares and washes they were mishappen and waring quite obviously.

The pair I have had several months have been fine though. What worries me is how they are made but I can't see that they have been made in conditions worse than other items costing 50 or more.

The material is thinner than some other jeans I have but not by much.
Bernie66

You pay 50 for a pair of jeans? Shocked Shocked
Treacodactyl

Bernie66 wrote:
You pay 50 for a pair of jeans? Shocked Shocked

No but I know what ones do. 6 was the price of the last pair.
Bernie66

If you want posh you can get it from a charity shop for about a 5, either that or I have lost all sense of "fashion". Smile
Penny Outskirts

I have some too - they're about a year old now, and still OK. I cut the bottoms off and roll them up a bit - trendy me Laughing
jamsam

Treacodactyl wrote:
cab wrote:
things you want in bulk but couldn't conceivably cycle home carrying

my issue with that is that they will deliver along the main road but will not drive 500yds up it to the village...its really annoying as all the other online shops deliver (argos, wollies etc).
Treacodactyl

I've been sent another load of vouchers, first one 10 off a 70 spend. Even with Christmas approaching I'm not sure I need to spend that much.
judith

Have you finished all that malt already? Surprised
2steps

dougal wrote:

when I bought my wheelbarrow I pushed my daughter home in it Laughing she loved it.

I tend to go to the supermarket once every month, maybe a bit less and stock up. As I can't drive I either buy online or use a local cab service to bring it home. ordering online most likely keeps cars of the road and the van will be driving about whether it come to my house or not so what extra miles are there anyway?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home