Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
treefarm

TFT flat screen

Hello again,

I've just 'acquired' one of those excellent TFT flat screen things and whilst it makes my desk top loook rather trim and professional it also flickers and 'twitches'. Anyone know why and how I can stop it?
Thanks
dougal

Re: TFT flat screen

treefarm wrote:
... it also flickers and 'twitches'. Anyone know why and how I can stop it?

Not much of a technical description there... Rolling Eyes

The first thing to check would be the connections between screen and computer. A loose connection can give occasional screen glitches.

Assuming that you are making a good connection -
If you are using a digital connection, its almost certainly a faulty screen...
On an analogue connection, you may have inappropriate settings, or it might be faulty.
Screens running at the VGA default "refresh rate" of just 60hz can be percieved as having a low level flicker, which is just perceptable enough to be irritating.
It might be that your video card is having to run a slow refresh rate to allow it to cope with the number of pixels you are asking it to display...

Its kinda hard to be more specific without a much more specific problem description... Sorry.
treefarm

Thanks

What more do you need to know - I'll do my best!
dougal

Well, a precise description of what you are seeing might be a starting point.
"Flicker" - overall intensity, or whole screen disturbance, or a band of mush crossing the screeen, many times a second or much slower than that? How much change? Is it varying between say 98% and 100% brightness or is it more dramatic?
"Twitch" - what is moving, the whole picture or just one or more edges? How much? How fast? All colours?

If you think its hard to describe in text, imagine how hard it is to diagnose!
Its practically impossible.

Are you using an analogue or a digital input? (Using both would be unnecessary. And a potential source of confusion.)

What does your control panel say about how it thinks the screen is being driven?

Have you taken care to *eliminate* the possibility of interference from other electrical/electronic equipment? Cordless and mobile phones can produce a surprising amount of screen disruption... As can cables tangled together.

If its soundly connected, with no possibility of interference, and the "mode" that you are using is not marginal for either the screen or the video card, then that indicates a fault in either the screen or the video card.
If you try and drive the new screen in *exactly* the same mode as you were driving your old screen, and still get an unsteady picture - then I'd say that points strongly towards a fault in the screen.

Really, you should be approaching your supplier, who should be familiar with the screen's capabilities, and any quirks it may have.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home