Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
PeteS

Thanks for leaving all the mushrooms

Back from holiday and went out to the New Forest this morning at the crack of dawn.

I had thought that people would have been out picking (Monday is usually not a good day) but wow... within an hour my basket was over flowing:

Horn of Plenty
Hedgehog Mushrooms
Chanterelles
Winter Chanterelles
Amethyst Deceivers
Charcoal Burner
Green Cracking Russula

Will post a pic later.

The Horns were amazing. I checked a couple of spots, where I looked before I went away but only found a few small examples or found nothing and they were everywhere - literally 1000's of mushrooms carpeting the floor! - and in patches I had never seen them before. At times I could not help stepping on some. I now have 6 new patches for these and only picked a fraction of what was there. Amazing, better than 2006!

The Winter Chanterelles were interesting. Most were too small to pick but there were loads coming up, and in places I had never seen them before. They tend to prefer pines but I was finding them under all sorts of trees. I think it's going to be a good season for these, which is a change from last season when there were only a few (down here at least) and those that did show came late in the season (end of November).

However, NO Cep's. I looked in known spots and places that I had found some before I went away, but nothing. Found The Miller (always found with Cep's) but that was it. Not many Boletes too - strange.
lettucewoman

no idea where to look in the forest sadly...coupled with a fear of poisioning myself!! Very Happy
PeteS

Until a couple of years ago (I started mushroom hunting in October 2006) I had no idea too. I just got a few books and went out into the forest with my dog. Having a dog is a great help as I am out almost everyday of the year.

Bingo, fancing picking some Horns? I can take you to where mine are located - there are too many for me - and the forecast suggests that they could well dry up within a week.
dpack

which horns ,pleurotus dry well
PeteS

Yes, Horns do dry very well. I have already (from a about two weeks ago) dried over 1kg. I now have another 2kg-ish. Another 2kg and I'll have more than enough for the next 12 months. There must be another 15kg-ish out there.
dpack

2 carrier bags (sorry but needs must )dried to about a kilo
ground they are ace in stews etc
bingo

Thanks Pete but I don't need them. My patches are enough for me anyway. I have no time to pick this week unfortunatly anyway, been out quite a bit laterly, found loads of mushrooms. Somebody has raided two of the Horn patches at "my place"....took everything.

Lets have a little mushroom hunt soon.
PeteS

bingo wrote:
has raided two of the Horn patches at "my place"....took everything.

Lets have a little mushroom hunt soon.

God, I hate that. Someone did the same to one of my Chanterelle pathes. Still, at least I know that I got the best from it.

There is a place with lots of Horns on it at the moment and Chanterelles too. It is behind a pub with a path right along side it. Some of the mushrooms even grow on the path - i.e. it is very public. You cannot miss the Chanterelles. Even so I have never noticed anyone pick there. I took you there last year, but of course last year being last year there was nothing there.

A mushroom hunt sounds good to me. Let me know when is best for you.
dpack

leave no shadow
bingo

I know the place. Wink
lettucewoman

um - I'd like some horns? As long as Ive been shown what to pick I would be fine.... Smile

I promise not to tell anyone else Wink
jp

I must be looking in all the wrong places in the New Forest - never found a single Horn Mad
fungi2bwith

Re: Thanks for leaving all the mushrooms

PeteS wrote:
Back from holiday and went out to the New Forest this morning at the crack of dawn.

I had thought that people would have been out picking (Monday is usually not a good day) but wow... within an hour my basket was over flowing:

Horn of Plenty
Hedgehog Mushrooms
Chanterelles
Winter Chanterelles
Amethyst Deceivers
Charcoal Burner
Green Cracking Russula

Will post a pic later.

The Horns were amazing. I checked a couple of spots, where I looked before I went away but only found a few small examples or found nothing and they were everywhere - literally 1000's of mushrooms carpeting the floor! - and in patches I had never seen them before. At times I could not help stepping on some. I now have 6 new patches for these and only picked a fraction of what was there. Amazing, better than 2006!

The Winter Chanterelles were interesting. Most were too small to pick but there were loads coming up, and in places I had never seen them before. They tend to prefer pines but I was finding them under all sorts of trees. I think it's going to be a good season for these, which is a change from last season when there were only a few (down here at least) and those that did show came late in the season (end of November).

However, NO Cep's. I looked in known spots and places that I had found some before I went away, but nothing. Found The Miller (always found with Cep's) but that was it. Not many Boletes too - strange.

Plenty of chanterelles here, but very few boletes here as well Confused
Stewy

Bad year for Ceps?
Truffle

loads of ceps around a few weeks ago, not seen any for about 10 days- apart from the ubiquitous lecciniums!
PeteS

lettucewoman wrote:
um - I'd like some horns? As long as Ive been shown what to pick I would be fine.... Smile

Hello lettucewoman,

If you are down this way (New Forest) I don't mind showing you a patch or two.
PeteS

Stewy wrote:
Bad year for Ceps?

There were quite a few Cep's down this way a couple of weeks ago, but not in the numbers I would expect.

I have a theory that Cep's (and a lot of other mushrooms) like a warm DRY summer followed but a wet and mild Autumn. This is exactly what we had in 2006.

Out of the mycorrhiza edible fungi this year (so far) has been good for, Chanterelles, Horn of Plenty, Hedgehog mushroom and probably Winter Chanterelles. There is a pattern here - they are all closely related. Other types of mushroom haven't done any better (maybe even worse) than last season. It's early yet so we shall see and the forecast is still for NO rain until the beginning of October! I think I'll pick a load more Horns soon - before they dry up.

PS - has any one found a False Chanterelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca)? In 2006 they were all over the place, but I have not seen a single one since.
lettucewoman

PeteS wrote:
lettucewoman wrote:

Hello lettucewoman,

I live here!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (the clue is on my avatar.....)

That would be great.... Very Happy Very Happy
Stewy

lettucewoman wrote:
PeteS wrote:
lettucewoman wrote:

Hello lettucewoman,

I live here!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (the clue is on my avatar.....)

Result!!! Pete will see you right I'm sure. Wink
PeteS

lettucewoman wrote:

Ok!

I can make very early in the morning (crack of dawn) during a week day, or this Saturday at about 9am-ish is possible. Not sure I can make Sunday. Anyway, send me a PM and let me know when you are available and we'll sort something out. Lets hope that in this dry weather they don't all dry out! Horns like it wet.

Pete
fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith wrote:
PeteS wrote:

Horn of Plenty
Hedgehog Mushrooms
Chanterelles
Winter Chanterelles
Amethyst Deceivers
Charcoal Burner
Green Cracking Russula

Will post a pic later.

Plenty of chanterelles here, but very few boletes here as well Confused

Well, there weren't any boletes at the weekend, but a quick walk round the site where I work today revealed huge amounts of various suillis, some leccinums, as well as ceps and dark ceps. I tried to photograph what I think is a cep and a dark cep to show the difference, but the photo doesn't show up as well as real life!

bingo

What a lovely basket of Ceps.

Nice one.

None around here. Neutral
PeteS

fungi2bwith wrote:

Well, there weren't any boletes at the weekend, but a quick walk round the site where I work today revealed huge amounts of various suillis, some leccinums, as well as ceps and dark ceps. I tried to photograph what I think is a cep and a dark cep to show the difference, but the photo doesn't show up as well as real life!

Nice one! Maybe Ceps are coming Smile I was just about to post my pictures. Will do in a moment.
bingo

Lets check out the Cep patches on Monday then Pete. Wink
Stewy

bingo wrote:
What a lovely basket of Ceps.

Nice one.

None around here. Neutral

Nor here so far, had the odd few.

Bad year for Ceps Bingo?
bingo

Nothing mate.

I've had one knackered one. Sad

Loads of other stuff though. Very Happy
PeteS

Basket of Chanterelles, Winter Chanterelles, Horns (plus others) and overflow bowl of Hedgehog Mushrooms.

Horn of Plenty

Hard to see against the leaf litter but they are all over the hill side
PeteS

bingo wrote:
Lets check out the Cep patches on Monday then Pete. Wink

I think it is a must, although there was nothing Cep wise when I went out on Monday morning, but you never know.

PS - that is the best collection of Ceps that I have seen since 2006
bingo

Those trumpets don't look like that now........I went out there today (and saw some other guy picking there) and they are going dry.

RAIN!
fungi2bwith

Great pictures Pete, I still haven't found the horns around here, I suspect I walk straight past them without seeing them.
Stewy

How big is your airing cupboard Pete??? Laughing
PeteS

bingo wrote:
Those trumpets don't look like that now........I went out there today (and saw some other guy picking there) and they are going dry.

RAIN!

Where is there? Horns do dry fast. Maybe I should go out soon.
bingo

Behind the pub. Wink

I checked my patches as well, they are going dry aswell.
PeteS

I have been there regularly and never seen any evidence of picking. Ah well, I am glad that I went out earlier in the week and picked most of the Chanterelles (about 1kg from this spot) before he got there.

After hearing this I went back there this morning. Who ever the mystery mushroom picker was he does not like walking very far (maybe he needed a beer) and the other spot nearby has not been touched. There are even more at this place too. Bingo, you are correct, they are drying up fast. In a couple of days they could all be gone, so I made the most of it and picked another load Smile There were still plenty that were not dry and some locations seem to far better than others - there are three Horn spots that I know of in this wood.

Even the Chanterelles are drying up, but I found a huge patch of Winter Chanterelles that I just got to in time. Will there be anything left by Monday for us to pick? By the way, there is NO RAIN in the forecast. The one I use goes up to Octover 4th and there is NOTHING, just a dry Indian type summer Sad
PeteS

Stewy wrote:
How big is your airing cupboard Pete??? Laughing

Yes, it needs to be bigger. We have a new refrigerator too and this still isn't big enough.
lettucewoman

PeteS wrote:
I have been there regularly and never seen any evidence of picking. Ah well, I am glad that I went out earlier in the week and picked most of the Chanterelles (about 1kg from this spot) before he got there.

After hearing this I went back there this morning. Who ever the mystery mushroom picker was he does not like walking very far (maybe he needed a beer) and the other spot nearby has not been touched. There are even more at this place too. Bingo, you are correct, they are drying up fast. In a couple of days they could all be gone, so I made the most of it and picked another load Smile There were still plenty that were not dry and some locations seem to far better than others - there are three Horn spots that I know of in this wood.

Even the Chanterelles are drying up, but I found a huge patch of Winter Chanterelles that I just got to in time. Will there be anything left by Monday for us to pick? By the way, there is NO RAIN in the forecast. The one I use goes up to Octover 4th and there is NOTHING, just a dry Indian type summer Sad

bother - I wanted to come out with you on saturday but sounds like it's not gonna happen Sad
PeteS

As you might know from another post we went out yesterday evening to one of my Horn patches. They are drying fast, but many were still fine.

I also found Honey Fungus for the first time this season. On the way home (Bingo will know where this is) I briefly stopped off at a known Cep spot. I found Cep's there last season just before I meet Bingo for a days forage. To my surprise I found 4 Cep's. Two were a bit slug eaten but none had maggots in them. This is odd as I checked this spot on Monday morning and there was NOTHING - two of the Cep's were 5-6inches across their caps. How could I have missed them?
bingo

I know the spot.

Lets find some Ceps on Monday then Pete.
lettucewoman

we had some of the horns yesterday in a chili - \i did the same as peteS..washed them gently and let them dry - they were dlish! I dried two more lots in a very low oven, but couldnt wait and had one lot in a curry tonight...sooooo scrummy!!! Very Happy
bingo

Trumpets do taste really good...really strong.....you can see why some call them poor mans truffle.

I love em.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home