Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
doctoral

The countdown has started ...

... the countdown to mushroom season has started.

Very Happy I had a meal of linguine with finely chopped ceps, butter, greek yoghourt, thyme, a splash of white wine and a couple of drops of lemon juice - seasoned well and bl**dy delicious.

What have the rest of you done in this season of dried foods Question
RichardW

I thought mushrooms were in season all year? Just have to switch types.

Justme
doctoral

Hi JustMe

I dont eat jews ears or most woody polyphores - I was talking about the countdown to the tastier varieties thumbright

...have you got anything around your way yet? What recipes do you have for a fungal treat?
RichardW

No real recipes yet. only just getting into shrooms. Had some lovely giant puffballs from one of my fields (sliced & fried the first bit then just cut it up & served it at breakfast like shop mushrooms). Been looking round our woodland but not found anything that I would want to eat yet. Have found some edibles but the grubs had beat me to them. Have lots of various bracket fungus. Its a mixed woodland with lots of beech trees. The ground is always moist. Had a few good book for xmas so hope to put them to good use later this year.

Justme
doctoral

... this is what my first Avatar was based on

a very tasty specimen and over a foot across.
cab

Still got ample dried stocks, but its only in the last week and a half that the blewit patches I pass every day have stopped fruiting Shocked
Stewy

That clock's not moved Confused
zigs

still using giant puffball preserved in oil. went looking for oyster mushrooms yesterday, but no luck yet.
starmoonlilly

No sign of any Oysters here either.
dpack

now its been cold a while the oysters should sprout
my blewits stopped last week
jp

Reasonable quantities of dried Hedghogs & Winter Chantarelle - save them for special meals Smile
PeteS

Hi,

Got some really nice Oyster mushrooms in the New Forest on Saturday. There were lots more small ones on the same beech tree. Will go back next weekend by which time these should be nice and plump.
tahir

Where's the doc?
bingo

Alright Pete, hows it going.
Yeah where has the Doc gone. I'm a bit worried. Hope everthing is cool with him.
nettie

Ohhh I'm wringing my hands, I won't be around to plunder my favourite mushroom haunts. Still, I'll have the fun of starting over again when we move! We don't get any oysters round this way. Although I might just be able to nab the St George's before we go.
PeteS

Hello Bingo,

Things are OK, although I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from lack of mushrooms Sad Please let me know when/if you want to go and look for some wild garlic or whatever.
bingo

PeteS wrote:
Hello Bingo,

Things are OK, although I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from lack of mushrooms Sad Please let me know when/if you want to go and look for some wild garlic or whatever.

No worries Pete. Just got an allotment plot opposite the mega bowl in millbrook, so will be busy the next couple of weekends digging and trying to get this ready for spring planting. Have left it a little late, so time is not on my side. I hope this weekends not raining like last.
Anyway by that time things should be well on their way, I love it when the wild garlic comes into flower and then St. Georges should be around.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home