Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
sgt.colon

The death of a starter

I started my sourdough on Friday and all was romping along. I did the first feed and all was fine. Did the second feed and when I woke this morning, I looked and it had separated and died.

The book said to us cold water on my second feed and then whisk it in and pop it somewhere cool.

Does anyone know why it may have died? Or does his just happen?

Thanks. Smile
sgt.colon

My second one is alive and well. Very Happy

I think what had happened is I'd made the second feed too watery and that's why it split.
Sally Too

Starter is remarkably forgiving. I started mine up when there was a thread on here a year or so a go. Then made bread nearly every day with it until December when I decided to go grain-free.

Couldn't bear to throw out the starter though, so I popped it in the back of the fridge in a mug in a plastic bag and forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago.

Then clearing out the fridge, one of the kids decided to throw it OUT!! Shocked

Couldn't have that, so I peeled off the crusty outside, and dug into the centre (now somewhat dry) and I fed it some more.

Anyway each morning I fed it a little more and suddenly there is was bubbly and delightfully yeasty in smell. It made a perfect loaf (No Knead recipe) and the family wolfed it down.

Starter is now at the back of the fridge again in a fresh mug! Wink Laughing
Nick

Indeed. I think yours is salvageable. They split easily, but recover with some tlc.
sgt.colon

Thanks both. Smile

I just binned the first one. HFW's book isn't really 100% clear for the complete noob and I just thought it was ruined.

Tomorrow will be my last feed of the first week for my second one and it's doing really well. The other night it was bubbling out of my Kilner jar, which I thought were supposed to be air tight. So I popped it in the fridge and it seems to have tamed it.

Can't wait to make my first loaf. Very Happy
Barefoot Andrew

This thread title keeps making me think you've cremated the fish course Wink
A.
sgt.colon

Laughing Laughing Laughing
gil

I keep worrying that you've knackered yer rhubarb wine !
sgt.colon

Shhhhhhhhhh they'll be no kiss of death here. Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home