Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Barefoot Andrew

The DS revamp continues - traders!

We're thinking of updating the way that Downsizer's traders are represented on the site.

Currently traders have a forum banner, and are part of this overall listing. The banner ads stay of course, but we're thinking of replacing the listing with a page along these lines:-

http://www.downsizer.net/blogcategory/Traders/

Each trader would have an entry comprising their business name, their banner ad, some blurb of their choice, plus links to their website and their DS profile.

You'll see that we're playing about with styles - and the third one down is my favourite. (In this scenario, the 'traders' page title would go, and some info about the traders page and how to be on it would appear in the left-hand column instead of article categories).

Entries on the traders page would be ordered by either DS username, or the business name - this is yet to be decided.

Comments welcome Very Happy

A.
Rob R

Re: The DS revamp continues - traders!

A.

I think Mullacott Farm is at an unfair advantage Laughing

I bet cheeky comments aren't as welcome.
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing
A.
alison

Re: The DS revamp continues - traders!

A.

I think Mullacott Farm is at an unfair advantage Laughing

I bet cheeky comments aren't as welcome.

Razz
Barefoot Andrew

Right, I've tidied up the new page - there are now two traders on it Very Happy

The page is accessed via a proper 'traders' link on the main menu - see www.downsizer.net

I've not got around to organising trader-related copy for the left-hand green column yet.

And I know the underline for Mochyn's item is short - it should be full page width (like Alison's). Minor but annoying hiccup, will sort anon.

A.
Nicky Colour it green

looks good earthmamma

Perhaps when there are more traders you can put them into categories i.e. Accomodation, Food, Crafts and Gifts. Just a thought Exclamation Laughing Barefoot Andrew

In the Olden Days there used to be categorisation of traders, but it got a bit messy - minor PITA to administer. So current thinking is that there isn't any sub-division of traders.
A.
Green Rosie

Me likey Very Happy

Do we traders need to supply some text for the revamp?
Barefoot Andrew

You do - but bare in mind things are still a bit fluid. By all means PM a paragraph, but the page design isn't set in stone yet. We're just trialling ideas.
A.
marigold

Looks good. Maybe use bold font for the heading? And I agree with earthmamma about the categories - attention spans are short and people need to be able to find what interests them quickly. Barefoot Andrew

Right, current thinking is that this idea probably doesn't have much of a future, and that we're likely to revert to the traders list as is.

The basic problem is the readability and navigability of one single page containing everyone. Past experience has shown that categorisation, or breaking the page into N sub pages, just doesn't work that well (and adds extra work value to administer).

Howls of protest / alternative suggestions welcome, but unless we have a Shining Path of an idea I'll likely remove this trial Sunday night.

A.
Barefoot Andrew

and adds extra work value

What? Embarassed
A.
marigold

Right, current thinking is that this idea probably doesn't have much of a future, and that we're likely to revert to the traders list as is.

The basic problem is the readability and navigability of one single page containing everyone. Past experience has shown that categorisation, or breaking the page into N sub pages, just doesn't work that well (and adds extra work value to administer).

Howls of protest / alternative suggestions welcome, but unless we have a Shining Path of an idea I'll likely remove this trial Sunday night.

A.

Fair enough if you don't want to administer subcategories, but a one page list as per the example in your first post looks a LOT better that that shown on your "as is" link!!! Smile
earthyvirgo

A.

Fair enough if you don't want to administer subcategories, but a one page list as per the example in your first post looks a LOT better that that shown on your "as is" link!!! Smile

Agree with Marigold, the trial looks so much cleaner and sharper.

EV
Barefoot Andrew

I like it too, but there isn't sufficient enthusiasm for it to warrant all the behind-the-scenes faffing, and what we do have is still perfectly workabubble. I'll take the page down shortly, but it won't be deleted. We can always revisit this at a future date if we so wish.
A.
Nell Merionwen

A.

Agree with Marigold, the trial looks so much cleaner and sharper.

EV

indeedy Cool
Green Rosie

I like it too, but there isn't sufficient enthusiasm for it to warrant all the behind-the-scenes faffing, and what we do have is still perfectly workabubble. I'll take the page down shortly, but it won't be deleted. We can always revisit this at a future date if we so wish.
A.

Have you contacted each trader ... maybe they haven't seen this thread and might actually like the potential new layout better?

(Sorry - does that mean more work? Embarassed )
Barefoot Andrew

I haven't - that would be a bit time consuming Wink

I've since taken the new page down. I'll put this aside for now, and deal with some of the other revamp-related loose ends. Maybe we'll revisit at a later point.
A.
Jamanda

I haven't - that would be a bit time consuming Wink

I've since taken the new page down. I'll put this aside for now, and deal with some of the other revamp-related loose ends. Maybe we'll revisit at a later point.
A.

Good idea. I think getting the forum spruced up to match would be good?
Barefoot Andrew

There are some other technical annoyances to sort first (e.g. flakey article listings).
A.
Jamanda

There are some other technical annoyances to sort first (e.g. flakey article listings).
A.

OK. I will continue to be patient. Actually it appears I haven't much to do today, so if there is anything I can do to help tell me.
Barefoot Andrew

Well unless you've suddenly acquired PHP/MySQL know-how...
A.
Jamanda

A.

Rolling Eyes Just tell me if you remember something menial. Laughing
12Bore

A.

Rolling Eyes Just tell me if you remember something menial. Laughing
Do you know where the kettle is?
Barefoot Andrew

*notes empty cup* Wink
A.
Jamanda

coffee2 12Bore

Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home