Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Lozzie

The End Of The World Survival Kit

What is in yours?

Mine contains:

Re-useable Sanitary Towels
Shoes
Thermal Underwear
A sewing kit approx three times the size of those piddly match-book ones you get in hotels
Matches - heads dipped in wax to waterproof
A large and impressive swiss army knife
A first aid kit worthy of an episode of ER or Casualty
A signed photo of Anthony Michael Hall
Bottled water
A great big maglite torch
A wind-up radio
A catapult and ammunition
Fishing gear (can't fish but I am sure I would learn)

No doubt I will keep returning to this post to edit and re-edit as I think of other stuff. perhaps we should have a Downsizer Prize for Most-Edited Post
sally_in_wales

We have all sorts of stuff- but unfortunately its not currently in one sensible place. We both carry decent first aid kits in the car, which I suppose is a start, but we really must put together a couple of boxes for anything from extended snow/power cuts to 'end of world' situations.

I would add for starters to your list some of those foil wrapped packets of scalpel blades- take up very little space but you can never have too many blades and they can be used as arrow heads as well

Strong, thin twine. Thin strong wire. Multipurpose pliers and bolt cutters
Bernie66

I would have to include one of the Ray Mears bushcraft books, I know I have read them a million times but each time I learn something new. the man is a genius.
joanne

I would also include a decent Mushroom identification book - Roger Philips probably and Food for Free and Wild Foods so you can identify edible plants

Also a wind up torch and water purification tablets - so that you can purify water until you've got a decent still up and running - only so much bottled water you can carry

Joanne
Moira

Yikes!

I don't have one! My dear one and I are totally sure that the end of the world is not just nigh but just around the corner - so much evidence pointing to it - peak oil and gas, climate change, terrorism and the general state of an aggressive and unsustainable society. Yet we don't have a survival kit.
How can this have happened? I'm on the case...
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Hmm, I can see this getting edited too as I think of stuff.

top of list is OH, kids, cats and chickens.

Followed by swiss army knife
matches
Eldest son's medicine
loo roll
I've a small butane gas cooker - wouldn't last long but it would be a start
as many bags of flour/grains/pasta/beans and pulses as I can carry
John Seymours Self Sufficiency book
whatever is important enough for my children to need with them ( teddys etc)
Himself would say portable radio ( I don't mean the sort to listen to Radio 4) as he's a radio amateur and we could keep in contact with folk

Umm am I allowed the freezer? -- ah thought not

I'm assuming that I can lock the end of the world out and stay warm and cosy in my burrow/house!
Bernie66

I forgot about the wife Laughing
sunpuppy

I have a sort of half made up a survival kit which I put together after the September 11 bombings (paranoia being a personality trait):

Swiss army knife
Fishing line and hooks
Wind up torch
Wind up radio
Water purification tablets
Small portable cooker and solid fuel tablets
Small lightweight cooking pan
Plastic mug
Waterproof matches
Magnesium flint fire starter
Coiled wire saw
Compass
Collins Gem SAS Survival Handbook - would take Ray Mears Bushcraft book but is too heavy!
First aid kit
Sewing kit with extra strong thread
Twine
Kendal mint cake

All of which fits into a smallish daypack.

I'm sure I could think of others to add to this, but then it would start getting heavier.....!
Penny Outskirts

Loo roll - how could i forget loo roll!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed
Moira

Radio

Hi,
the communication radio is a fantastic idea, especially if things really do break down, always assuming you can power it. We've made a bicycle generator which is portable if you can get away in a car. Loo roll is a must have I suppose, but it's something you would need to replace on a regular basis, it sounds a bit gross but is it feasible to use a cloth and boil-wash it after each use? After all, we may not be able to source disposable things for much longer.
Andy B

A machine gun and lots of ammo.
Lozzie

I'm astonished no one else is taking a picture of Anthony Michael Hall Shocked Wink Very Happy

Also adding:

Zip-lock freezer bags
A mirror
A whistle - really loud one
(do I have to take my children? really, really? Sad)
A few cooking implements. Pots, mainly.
A Bowie knife and a whet stone
hils

I'm going to make a list whilst enjoying my VERY naughty lunch of supermarket chicken with supermarket spuds(the rest of grub is off vandalised lotty!). I'm feeling rebellious today Twisted Evil

This thread has reminded me of the program Lost channel 4 (yes I'm addicted!).
Bernie66

Lozzie wrote:
I'm astonished no one else is taking a picture of Anthony Michael Hall Shocked Wink Very Happy

Also adding:

Zip-lock freezer bags
A mirror
A whistle - really loud one
(do I have to take my children? really, really? Sad)
A few cooking implements. Pots, mainly.
A Bowie knife and a whet stone

Who is he?
Treacodactyl

What to put in the medical kit? The usual plaster, bandages etc but I also remember reading condoms are very useful. As they are sterile they can be used for all sorts of things, keeping cut fingers dry, transporting water, keeping other items dry etc...

As for taking books one of the reasons why I try and learn about foraging and other things is so I have less need for a book. I need to learn more about plants I think as I'm ok with a basic range of fungi, trees and shrubs.

Taking a reel of strong fishing line is very, very useful. Not just for fishing but also snares and using as string. A 50m reel shouldn't take up much room.
footprints

survival

Andy B wrote:
A machine gun and lots of ammo.

Could I please request the link for the "off ticket" machine gun Smile
Jonnyboy

I would have thought that at least six months supply of food and water would be on the list. I'm planning on staying put

Do most of you envisage having to travel light?
Moira

Yes, I live still live in a city and see the time coming when we will suddenly have to up sticks and leave with little or no warning, a bag by the door may be all we can grab.
Of course, if the end is not so close, we may have moved to a rural 'safe' location by then, in which case survival kit will be non-perishable foods and plenty of water, medicines, clothes, that kind of thing.
Jonnyboy

Ahh, I'm lucky in that I've already made the move to the country. So my kit would be decidedly less portable.

I'm pondering a generator at the moment. With that our home conforts would be unchanged. Woodburning stove, septic tank, stream and lV lights. a 8kw generator would give me the oven and shower as well.
Blue Peter

Bernie66 wrote:
I would have to include one of the Ray Mears bushcraft books, I know I have read them a million times but each time I learn something new. the man is a genius.

On this, which one is best. There do seem to be a lot, and it's very difficult to know which one to get, just from Amazon or whatever. Is there one which does the basics well?

Peter.
Marts

For books I would recommend three titles above others:

Outdoor Survival Handbook by Ray Mears
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091878861/qid=1127821269/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_11_3/202-8600285-1362234

or Ray Mears's classic Essential Bushcraft
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340829710/qid=1127821269/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_11_2/202-8600285-1362234

Bushcraft: Outdoor skills and wilderness survival. by Mors Kochanski
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1551051222/qid=1127821121/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/202-8600285-1362234

As far as a survival kit goes this is a discussion that could never end Wink

It should be very dependant on what type of kit you are talking about - a personal every day carry kit / home kit / back of the car kit/ bug out kit etc.

A very good article by Neil Andrews about kits like these can be found on Outdoors Magazine forum

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=103

To Lozzie's original kit I would add/ modify the following:
- A fixed blade knife - Much more useful than a folding blade.
- An LED torch rather than a Maglite - They are more economical on battery use than incandescent bulbs
- Some way of treating water - from puritabs to a pre-mac filter pump.
- Can opener!
- Whistle
-Compass
- An LED head torch
- Rope or paracord
- Candles
- Saw

You know what I've just realised I could go on forever Cool
Treacodactyl

To add to the list:

Axe or hatchet
One of those storm kettle thingies (the one where the flames go up the middle of the kettle).
Mrs Fiddlesticks

how are you going to carry all this lot? Are you running away on foot?
Treacodactyl

Big landrover with extra fuel....

I bet you're now going to ask where are we keeping all this stuff?
culpepper

Family
A flint and steel for lighting fires.
My bike and trailer & family's bikes with saddle bags/panniers
hammer and nails
big sharp knife and sharpening steel
wind up/solar torch and radio(will anyone be broadcasting?)
collapsible water container
fishing line and hooks
sewing kit
1st aid kit
camping billy to boil water etc
Axe
candles (you could use them as fire lighters as well as lighting)
'Food for free' and 'mushroom and toadstools' books so we dont eat poison plants
Tin of vegetable seeds
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Its more that if I thought the world was going to end I'd be more inclined to batten down the hatches and stay right here! ( admittedly being in a small reasonably remote village does help!) Our burrow is warm and cosy and there is plenty of food and wood.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

everytime I see this thread that REM song pops in to my head - am I the only one?
Treacodactyl

culpepper wrote:
Tin of vegetable seeds

Great choice.
Andy B

A few big strong mates to carry everything !
Lozzie

It's the end of the world as we know it
And I feel fine ...
Bugs

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
everytime I see this thread that REM song pops in to my head - am I the only one?

Not any more Confused Laughing
cab

A good knife
String and wire
A good cooking pot and a bucket
Tarpaulin and bivvy bag
Good boots and waterproof clothes

If I can't survive in Britain with that lot and little more, I don't deserve to survive.
Erikht

I always keep a spare world handy. Silly of me, I know, but you never know when you need it.
Treacodactyl

Erikht wrote:
I always keep a spare world handy. Silly of me, I know, but you never know when you need it.

Banned in the EU I'm afraid.
Blacksmith

I have a small first aid kit and survival kit in my rucksack when i go walking. I could survive a couple of days or untill im rescued.
An end of the world kit would be a bit different, my tool box top of the list, i know how to make electricity from wood, coal etc, plenty of preseved steam engines, stationary engines about.!!
If it was a case of "every man for himself" my rifle, PLENTY of ammunition, a large forces survival knife, tarpaulin, potasium permanganate, map and compass, experience.
Remember... PROTECTION, LOCATION, WATER, FOOD !
Dave. ( Outward bound mountain school, Ullswater)
Res

Blacksmith wrote:
( Outward bound mountain school, Ullswater)

Its beautiful at Ullwater, its my wifee's favourite place Very Happy
ele

I think I'd probably just curl up with a good book, a teddy bear, maybe a few photoalbums and hankies and leave it at that Rolling Eyes
Moira

I really do feel like it's the end of the world as we know it, and reading stuff like this http://www.headheritage.co.uk/uknow/features/index.php?id=63 makes me want to run away fast.

I'd put chocolate in my survival kit...
Treacodactyl

Well, feeling a little bored while wait for stuff I thought I'd come up with my lists. The small bag will be packed into the lager bag and always be ready. If you have the items to hand anyway then it seems ideal to keep them together in one place. It's also ideal to pop in the back of the car if going camping or somewhere remote.

In a small bag:

Sealed small medical kit including painkillers, water purification tablets & salt
Sealed tin: Good quality flint, waterproof matches, candle, kindling & decent pen knife
Sewing kit
Fishing kit with hooks and line
Emergency whistle
Compass
Energy tablets
LED mini-torch (lasts for over a week continuous use)

In a larger bag:

Other medical supplies including saline pouches for washing eyes & wounds, eye bath and small first aid guide.
Sealed water
Simple cooking pots with kindling tucked inside
Some basic rations
Good quality knife in sheath with sharpener & flint
Water filter
Candles
Lighter
50m tough fishing line
Flexible saw
Small axe
Snares
Thin but strong rope
Tooth brush
Multi-tool & selection of tools
Tough black plastic sacks
Pepper and spices to make food more palatable
Led headlight and spare set of batteries
Tarp
Leather gloves and eye protection

Things to pack when needed:

Freshly filled metal water bottles
Spare set of clothes
Small spade
Wild food/survival books
Seeds
Any extra tools I may need
Air rifle with maintenance kit and pellets
Food & extra water
Fuel in safe container
Paraffin lamp
Tent or tarps & sleeping bags
Other half and/or large dog. Wink
Bugs

I am still here, you know Evil or Very Mad
sean

Bugs wrote:
I am still here, you know Evil or Very Mad

Well he won't need a large dog then. Wink What's he going to pack you into anyway?
Bugs

Razz I'm very compact, I'll have you know. And multifunctional.
marigold

Penny wrote:
Loo roll - how could i forget loo roll!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed

You can use leaves as loo paper - though choose with care Smile

I'm told that mullein leaves are the best.....
Lozzie

Treac - can I swap my Swiss Army Knife for Bugs, please?
Treacodactyl

Lozzie wrote:
Treac - can I swap my Swiss Army Knife for Bugs, please?

She's far more useful than a Swiss Army Knife. Mind you she'd also love a large protective hound as much as I would.
Treacodactyl

Moira wrote:

I really do feel like it's the end of the world as we know it, and reading stuff like this http://www.headheritage.co.uk/uknow/features/index.php?id=63 makes me want to run away fast.

I'd put chocolate in my survival kit...

I've read a few pieces like that recently. I've always wanted to find somewhere where I could be, more or less, self sufficient and the more I read the more this idea is confirmed. I just hope I do it before things start realy breaking down - then there's the problems of people taking your hard earned food etc from you. Confused
dpack

i always carry the will to live. knowledge . first aid/meds kit (kmno3 ,sanitory towel ,micropore tape , needle , condom , commpression bandage ,lavender oil ,asprin, antihistamine , benzos ,tramadol ,immodium ,airway and two nicotine patches ( cos i dont want to be stuck with a smoker in withdrawl )) .,pencil knife , firestarter , whistle ,candle , paracord ,fish hooks , saftey pin ,insulating tape , mesh net and plastic bottle top (it is easier to find the bottle than the top ) . i always wear good boots ,or have them nearby . i can reccomend the outward bound wilderness first aid handbook (what to do if the ambulance may be some time ) and the sas survival guide by lofty wiseman (what a pen name ) when i go off to the wilds i carry a variety of useful odds n ends . one thing i would always want to have in a sticky situation is a big smile cos that can save your life .
dpack

it might not be that soon so you have time to practise which if it dosent make perfect at least it makes sense ..the st johns courses are ace for basic first aid ..i reacon they should be part of everyones education..most mountain rescue teams welcome those pre trained in first aid and sensible , they are a good place to get gritty .survival is not just medical or food finding skills , a good joke , a big hug or a well composed action are even more crucial in times of extreme danger than they are in a quiet life .state of mind is a major factor in how people cope , in the midst of plenty some folk just cant thrive , some people will themselves to incredible feats of endurance and resourcefulness from the most harsh circumstances .alone or in company spirit is what really matters , not what you know or have in your pockets.learn as much as you can though cos that empowers your actions .
Blue Peter

Treacodactyl wrote:

I've read a few pieces like that recently. I've always wanted to find somewhere where I could be, more or less, self sufficient and the more I read the more this idea is confirmed. I just hope I do it before things start realy breaking down - then there's the problems of people taking your hard earned food etc from you. Confused

Snap.

I don't think that personal (family) self-sufficiency is the best way to go (though it's probably second best), since I think that for defence reasons as you mention above, and just being self-sufficient, then a community is probably a better bet. But they're harder to set up, of course,

Peter.
mochyn

I think I've mentioned it before, but, to this end, should we not be exchanging addresses? I know not everyone would be happy to post addresses in a public forum, indeed I wouldn't, but maybe a telephone tree (except with addresses) would work?

Having watched 28 Days Later last night, I kept thinking "I wouldn''t do that/ do it that way". For a start, if it was that bad, I'd probably kill myself, on the basis that it's about time the planet was left to itself and we should all just b*gg*r off and it leave it alone. Did make me glad I live miles out in the country, though!
Anna-marie

Good Idea, Mochyn. Very Happy
We could then set up a community that would benefit from each other's skills.
We could all agree a pre-arranged meeting point, and gather there.
Blue Peter

Anna-marie wrote:
Good Idea, Mochyn. Very Happy
We could then set up a community that would benefit from each other's skills.
We could all agree a pre-arranged meeting point, and gather there.

I think that it's a bit more complicated than that,

Peter.
Lozzie

Right. We'll all meet up in Milton Keynes then, shall we Blue Peter? Laughing

The way things are going at the moment, I am rapidly losing the most precious element in everyone's kit - The Will To Live.

Frankly I think I would be better slitting my wrists and offering my cadaver as food for someone with more gumption than me.

(This is like that bit from The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe!! Does anyone remember? Peter Davidson, dressed as a weird sort of cow thing, tempting diners to try some of his succulent under-belly ...! Shocked )
Blue Peter

Lozzie wrote:
Right. We'll all meet up in Milton Keynes then, shall we Blue Peter? Laughing

Could do, except that we're thinking of moving to Dorset Laughing

Lozzie wrote:
The way things are going at the moment, I am rapidly losing the most precious element in everyone's kit - The Will To Live.

Frankly I think I would be better slitting my wrists and offering my cadaver as food for someone with more gumption than me.

(This is like that bit from The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe!! Does anyone remember? Peter Davidson, dressed as a weird sort of cow thing, tempting diners to try some of his succulent under-belly ...! Shocked )

Cheer up, it's not that bad yet. But now is the time to prepare for how things may go. I think that a self-sufficientish community (away from the South-East) is probably the best way to go. Does anyone have any experience of setting one up?

Peter.
JB

Lozzie wrote:
Right. We'll all meet up in Milton Keynes then ...

Is that in an attempt to make sure that everyone loses the will to live? Laughing
Treacodactyl

Blue Peter wrote:
Cheer up, it's not that bad yet. But now is the time to prepare for how things may go. I think that a self-sufficientish community (away from the South-East) is probably the best way to go. Does anyone have any experience of setting one up?

I must admit to thinking along similar lines. Despite how I come accross in some of my posts I'm not one to say sod everyone else. However, if I spend many years setting up something epsecially when it is becomming increasing obvious to the whole population that things need to change and they do nothing for themselves, I'm not going to be happy when these people just move in and take what they want.

Worth a new topic I think.
Blue Peter

JB wrote:
Lozzie wrote:

Is that in an attempt to make sure that everyone loses the will to live? Laughing

Hey! We're a very green city Laughing not much soul or character yet, I admit, but it's not bad as places go. Not that I'd necessarily want to stay here for the rest of my life,

Peter.
whitelegg1

Once you have survived, found your suvival kit & bolted the front door.

Would you open it for anybody?

Would you expect them to 'buy' / 'barter' their way in?

Or would you just split what you had with someone less fortunate?

Does the EOTWAWKI = throw out the morals that you stand for now?

Myself..... door would be bolted securely. Friends and family only. Until the situation improved. Unless the visitor had something we could not do without, and we ALL felt we could trust them. Hard decision to make, but I have my priorities.

No guns unfortunately as I don't have the current need to justify them. So if any neer do wells try to force their way into my survival nest, I will have to defend my family with whatever comes to hand!
Amazing what damage a biro can do!

This thread has spurred me to do a couple of web searches to track down lists of what to store in case of emergency.

1. A small kit to carry with me when I'm comuting, bike or tube.

2. A bigger kit (seasonalised) for in the car, OH & two kids got stuck in last years snow, and almost had to ditch the car and walk home.

3. Another bigger kit under the stairs in a haversack, as a 'bug out bag'. Grab it and run. For when staying at home to survive is not an option.

4. Finaly a comprehensive stash (legal) at home, split up in garage sheds and cupboards.

Don't need 5. A flood kit in the loft in case of catastrophic flood.....If our house floods, then most of London will be a very deep lake!!! as we are near the top of a ridge!!!
footprints

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the link, it really ruined my day Smile
His blog I thought, was also worth book marking.

So much to read when youve' a bunker to dig Smile Smile
Blue Peter

footprints wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think that if you don't feel very scared, then you probably haven't understood, Crying or Very sad

Peter.
JB

Blue Peter wrote:
JB wrote:
Lozzie wrote:

Hey! We're a very green city Laughing not much soul or character yet, I admit, but it's not bad as places go. Not that I'd necessarily want to stay here for the rest of my life,

I used to live there (well a couple of km outside but close enough) and yes it is a green city, but absolutely soulless. I thought it always seemed a bit like a mock British city built by cold ward communists so their agents could learn to fit in Very Happy

I'm not sure if it would serve very well as an end of the world bolt hole though, an island would seem a better bet for that unfortunately most suitable islands around our shores are so far north that the living would be hard enough at the moment let alone in a disaster scenario.
Blue Peter

JB wrote:
I used to live there (well a couple of km outside but close enough) and yes it is a green city, but absolutely soulless. I thought it always seemed a bit like a mock British city built by cold ward communists so their agents could learn to fit in Very Happy

I'm not sure if it would serve very well as an end of the world bolt hole though, an island would seem a better bet for that unfortunately most suitable islands around our shores are so far north that the living would be hard enough at the moment let alone in a disaster scenario.

Whereabouts, as a matter of interest?

I think that there was a lot of idealism in MK when it started off, but that has rather been knocked on the head since our politics became less idealistic. Mr Prescott's housing edicts are certainly not helping things now.

No, I don't think that MK would make a good bolt hole, nor indeed any of the South-East. I would be looking to move westwards, I guess,

Peter.
marigold

Blue Peter wrote:
I think that a self-sufficientish community (away from the South-East) is probably the best way to go. Does anyone have any experience of setting one up?

Peter.

See www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk

I think it's a bit difficult to prepare for "the end of the world" when you don't know what form it will take. Having thought a bit about this thread I do intend to put together an "emergency evacuation" pack and reevaluate my store cupboard, but I don't intend going anywhere unless forced.

If "the end" comes slowly, hopefully we'll all have time to adapt to less of everything and develop new ways of meeting our needs. If it's quick (due to climate, nuclear fallout or whatever) I think that "heading for the hills/woods" is a bit of a romantic fantasy. Either you'll be in very stiff competition with a lot of other people or the country will be piled high with corpses and terribly polluted by goodness knows what.

Sorry if that sounds a bit negative, barring huge disasters I think (hope!!) we'll work it out eventually, though there will have to be some very harsh adjustments in expectations. Most people don't have a clue about the problems we are facing as oil and water supplies diminish, but there are solutions.

We need to get Richard and Judy on the case - get them to popularise energy efficiency, walking, buying local, growing your own etc etc Smile
JB

Blue Peter wrote:
JB wrote:

Whereabouts, as a matter of interest?

Stoke Hammond. One pub, one church, one shop, one petrol station and a stream of traffic going to and from MK

Blue Peter wrote:
I think that there was a lot of idealism in MK when it started off, but that has rather been knocked on the head since our politics became less idealistic. Mr Prescott's housing edicts are certainly not helping things now.

No, I don't think that MK would make a good bolt hole, nor indeed any of the South-East. I would be looking to move westwards, I guess,

Peter.

Prescott's housing edicts don't help anyone in the southeast, just back to the irony that the only way to afford to downsize is to choose to live somewhere where its impossible to downsize
Blue Peter

Treacodactyl wrote:
I must admit to thinking along similar lines. Despite how I come accross in some of my posts I'm not one to say sod everyone else. However, if I spend many years setting up something epsecially when it is becomming increasing obvious to the whole population that things need to change and they do nothing for themselves, I'm not going to be happy when these people just move in and take what they want.

Worth a new topic I think.

Okay, try:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=98008

Peter.
footprints

Blue Peter wrote:
footprints wrote:

[/quote]

I think that if you don't feel very scared, then you probably haven't understood, Crying or Very sad

Peter.[/quote]

I understand perfectly well.

Your tearful emoticons should be reserved for those that list toilet paper on their survival list.
For those that think a windup radio will see them through.
For those that think a move to the country or the aquiring of an allotment will be their deliverance.

I enjoy the company of downsizers. Skilled ,talented,articulate. Lots of things to share. (nice people)

All that read this thread and post, must be considering how they will hold on to "their tin of beans"? few have commented.
Speaks volumes for our conditioning.
Lloyd

cab wrote:
A good knife
String and wire
A good cooking pot and a bucket
Tarpaulin and bivvy bag
Good boots and waterproof clothes

If I can't survive in Britain with that lot and little more, I don't deserve to survive.

Not bothering about a knife sharpener then?
Lloyd

In this thread, some are playing at guessing what they "might " put in their wish list one day, while others are actually in some form of preparedness. I'm in the latter group, but would not call myself prepared. You have to hope for some prep time before "it" happens. After 9/11 I made a basic kit for the boot of my car. It comprises:
NBC suit with respirator
Air rifle with pellets, oil, and block lead with cast to make new ammo
knife sharpener
Golock
eight litres of water bottled
wire
twine
two tins of corned beef
Sleeping bag
Basha
Lighter fuel, matches and Zippo
Sealed bag of seed packets
1 bag of dried dog food
Pemmican
roll of cloth

We shouldn't underestimate the real and present risk of a terrorist dirty bomb that will send Britain into the Dark Ages again.
whitelegg1

I intend to take as much water as I can fit in the car.
That could be a very good 'currency'. Everytime their is a 'minor' disaster, I stock up with 20 litres in the garage.

Seeds are a nice touch. Very good forward thinking, not much weight.

What was the dried dog food for? I prefer digestives myself.
tahir

whitelegg1 wrote:
What was the dried dog food for? I prefer digestives myself.

Me too
Lloyd

Keeping dogs might offer a level of protsction and early warning system, as well as a means of catching food. Laughing
JB

Woodsman wrote:
Keeping dogs might offer a level of protsction and early warning system, as well as a means of catching food. Laughing

Or just be extra mouths to feed?
Blacksmith

Re dogs . Anyone seen Zoo magazine this week ? Looks like they are more than capable of getting their own food, a well trained one could help you hunt !....... well, if the ban still stands Laughing
Potassium Permanganate is usefull stuff, a rew grains for water purification, stronger solution for antiseptic, good fire srarter, mark messages in snow for rescue.
Lozzie

Re: Existing Communities have a look at this one:

http://www.tlio.demon.co.uk/tinkers.htm

I haven't visited their site myself but would like to. Have seen photos from a friend's visit earlier this year.

One resource that I would add to my kit, as I assume I may have problems making or foraging my own - would be DECENT BOOTS/SHOES: SEVERAL PAIRS OF
Blue Peter

Re: The End Of The World Survival Kit

Lozzie wrote:
A catapult and ammunition

Lozzie,

What do you intend doing with your catapult?

Peter.
dpack

short term i ll hold my beans by being invisible if i can and extreme violence if i cant .long term requires community and i refer back to my comment on big smiles etc. crisis situations are not much different to any other day really , people are people , things are things, to be able to know what is what and who is who is what is important . all of us practice survival skills every day , as did all of our genetic forebears(4 bares ,uhh, homophone crisis) , we are alive at the moment so we do have skills ,both learned and hard wired in .my feeling is there is no point in being a "survivor"if you have no community , so start to strengthen your community by smiling and saying hello and in a crisis the community will cope , maybe . gain the skills to go and leave them to it though just in case , then you are in control of the situation not the situation in charge of you .you cant run you cant hide so thrive whatever Smile
dpack

there are my ya yas get yours out Exclamation
Lloyd

dpack wrote:
short term i ll hold my beans by being invisible if i can and extreme violence if i cant .long term requires community and i refer back to my comment on big smiles etc. crisis situations are not much different to any other day really , people are people , things are things, to be able to know what is what and who is who is what is important . all of us practice survival skills every day , as did all of our genetic forebears(4 bares ,uhh, homophone crisis) , we are alive at the moment so we do have skills ,both learned and hard wired in .my feeling is there is no point in being a "survivor"if you have no community , so start to strengthen your community by smiling and saying hello and in a crisis the community will cope , maybe . gain the skills to go and leave them to it though just in case , then you are in control of the situation not the situation in charge of you .you cant run you cant hide so thrive whatever Smile

Had to think through your views slowly, but am totally in agreement. Your situation, and your view on it, matches mine.
nora

Treacodactyl wrote:

One of those storm kettle thingies (the one where the flames go up the middle of the kettle).

Has anyone used one of these, and if so what are they like? I'm quite tempted by the small (1 pint) one they have for sale in Nevisport at the moment.
Lozzie

Peter: re catapult - I, er thought I might try and kill things with it to eat. Or to protect myself.

There are some nifty looking hunting catapults available, and I thought getting ammo for one would not be too much trouble, especially if I lived near a beach/ stream (which I do). Or you can use them to scatter bait when you are fishing.

something like this, maybe?

Marts

nora wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Has anyone used one of these, and if so what are they like? I'm quite tempted by the small (1 pint) one they have for sale in Nevisport at the moment.

Yeah. They're called kelly kettles. They're great, though the larger 2 1/2 pint is pretty bulky. I take my one pint kettle with me when i'm out walking or foraging. Perfect for freshly brewed coffee.
It is fuelled by twigs and bits of birch bark or other tinder. Really goes up a treat and boils a pint in a few minutes
Smile
nora

Marts wrote:
nora wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Yeah. They're called kelly kettles. They're great, though the larger 2 1/2 pint is pretty bulky. I take my one pint kettle with me when i'm out walking or foraging. Perfect for freshly brewed coffee.
It is fuelled by twigs and bits of birch bark or other tinder. Really goes up a treat and boils a pint in a few minutes
Smile

Thanks Marts. Yes thats it - Kelly Kettle. What I was wondering is, do they stay upright ok when in use and also how easy is it to use without burning yourself when pouring out the water?
Lozzie

They look a brilliant bit of kit!

Marts

They stand up fine, not wobbly at all. They pour fine too as the photo in the previous post shows you hold the handle in one hand and the bung chain in the other.
Easy Peasy hello1
nora

Marts wrote:
They stand up fine, not wobbly at all. They pour fine too as the photo in the previous post shows you hold the handle in one hand and the bung chain in the other.
Easy Peasy hello1

Thanks, thats me convinced - I shall ask for one for christmas (if I can wait that long) santa Laughing
Treacodactyl

I've wondered how people get on with them as I've also been tempted to get one. At the wood fair we went to quite a few of the exibitors had one of these kelly kettles on the go in the back ground. My main concern is how long they last but the people we spoke to said they seem to last well as long as you don't knock them about.
Marts

They're robust but i'm sure you could destroy them or certainly dent them if you tried!
I used mine yesterday on a fungi foray. Lots of people came up to see what I was doing. While they were all cooing over it I was already drinking filter coffee with a big smile on my face Very Happy

The best thing about them is their speed. You can carry it with you pre-filled with water and tinder/fuel - then within a couple of minutes of lighting it you're ready to go. You can also make two different drinks this way if your companion wants something else to you, unlike with a thermos flask
Blue Peter

Lozzie wrote:
Peter: re catapult - I, er thought I might try and kill things with it to eat. Or to protect myself.

There are some nifty looking hunting catapults available, and I thought getting ammo for one would not be too much trouble, especially if I lived near a beach/ stream (which I do). Or you can use them to scatter bait when you are fishing.

something like this, maybe?

Lozzie,

Yes, I stumbled across them whilst searching for something, then I remembered your post. They certainly look a bit more sophisticated than the twisted wire and rubber bands I had when I was a kid. Could you actually use them for hunting though? Are they accurate enough? and lethal enough?

Peter.
Lozzie

Peter - I think you need to practice an awful lot to become efficient with one.

Found this:

http://forum.downsizer.net/post-74192.html&sid=0e2860f9787482921ccc2c29e8200725
JB

I posted that original question because I found a reference on another forum to using catapults for hunting. I thought it unlikely at the time and so I've stuck with the air rifle for bunnying. I suspect in an end of the world survival scenario you'd be better off snaring rabbits than trying to hunt them with a catapult.

PS - all this discussion of an end of the world survival kit and noone seems to have mentioned taking a corkscrew!
Lozzie

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
whitelegg1

With regards to where to keep all this stuff. I read somewhere that in the event of a nuclear attack the Electro-Magnetic pulse will render almost all electricals useless......However if you store your emergency radio receiver etc. in an old microwave, it should be O.K...as the shielding designed to keep the microwaves inside, are also good at keeping the EMP out!

Can anyone confirm this, as I have a hefty old microwave in the shed, specifically kept for this purpose....
JB

I suppose that raises the question of what sort of disaster you are going to plan for. The requirements to protect against EMP would be vastly different to protect against an environmental tragedy.
dpack

the kettles look good for my pre pokklypse allottment .corkscrew? thats why we evolved thumbs .still think i'll pack a cheesey grin . Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home