Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
wellington womble

The ideal house thread

Suggested by Slim, a thread to share your dream home ideas, big and small, design or construction.

I'm putting a washing machine in the bathroom. As well as a small cupboard for everyday clothes, and hanging space to dry them. It's where I take them off and put them on, so it may as well be where I wash them and put them away. Everyday clothes will only leave the bathroom on bodies. There will be no laundry basket, because you take things off, and put them straight into the washing machine. When it's full, I'll turn it on. Simples.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

This is apparently common in the US (those that have machines rather than use laundrettes). There's a whole Thing about washing machines in kitchens being strange and unhygienic Laughing I would be worried about mixing lights/darks, but I'm guessing you have a carefully curated selection of clothes where that doesn't matter Cool (I'm an idiot with about 3 items that need special treatment, urgh)

I bet binge-watching Grand Designs counts as research too. Wink
Slim

I would end up with lots of pink clothing if the plan were for all household members to just throw their clothes into the washer....

Laundry machines in the kitchen is weird to us in the U.S., though I've never heard it described as unhygienic - though one might make that case in a cloth diaper ("nappy") household

Around my parts a lot of the homes were built around the time that those new fangled washing machines came about, and they were just about as likely to be gasoline powered as electric, and generally outdoor affairs. As such, most folks have their modern washers and dryers in their basements. My basement stairway is teeny, so that doesn't work for me, so I plumbed a stacked unit into a hallway closet. (the house didn't have a washer until at least 100 years after it was built.....)

I think that a lot of homes continued to have laundry machines put in their basements out of habit, until the past 30 years or so when people started to realize that it might be easier to hide them in their own purpose built laundry rooms on the first floor, to reduce lugging of full laundry baskets up dingy cellar stairs. That's probably a small part of the reason why average modern American homes are so enormous.
Slim

As I said previously, a wood-fired sauna is a must for me if it can be managed at all. Bonus points if the "waste" heat can be diverted to a greenhouse during the cold months. Further bonus points for outdoor shower next to the sauna.

This of course all ties in with my dreams of having a large climate-battery style greenhouse a la Jerome Ostenowski

https://www.chelseagreen.com/blogs/forest-garden-greenhouse-review-permaculture-design-magazine/
dpack

low maintenance once built or fixed
decent sized kitchen and indoor working area/s,
style from stone age to hi tech as appropriate
easy clean including boot room/dog shower
cosy home areas, decent view, sitting in garden
energy efficient, off grid water and energy options
various outbuildings for storage,workshops and critters
a few acres for veg, orchard , chooks , dog yard and maybe a pig pen
access to or ownership of fire wood / woodland
access to good fishing
access to varied forage
rural but not requiring re supply by air and a four day journey to see a doctor or find a couple of bolts the right size.
weather is acceptable but the climate must be moderate which in my opinion is non life threatening with normal clothing and care most of the time Laughing
wellington womble

Ah yes. A boot room. A walk through one, with a bench seat. Boot storage underneath, hooks over for coats etc, baskets on top for gloves, hats, torches, packets of seeds, forgotten trowels and other things which are permanently in transit between house and garden (here, anyway)

I never separate washing. My bedding is white, but that's a whole load anyway. Everything else all goes into together. School shirts, jeans, the lot. if it all came out pink, my seven year old would be ecstatic (me, less so, but it's never happened) If it was up to me, no clothes would be white anyway, but school says differently.

Our last house had a dog shower.
Shan

I basically want a Riad style house with an outdoor kitchen. Very Happy With no neighbours. Nowhere near a road.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I think I'd need to start designing at the garden, greenhouse / orangerie (hush, I want one!), boot room, cellar / food storage, and then I guess a bedroom and stuff Rolling Eyes
Slim

You can put a bed in any room Laughing
How much does it matter what it looks like? Most of your time in there you aren't paying attention to the surroundings anyway. Save your money for a good mattress. Laughing
Ty Gwyn

Are utility rooms out of fashion these days?
Shan

Heavens no! Where else would one put the 500 litre chest freezers? Shocked
NorthernMonkeyGirl

In the food storage area, silly.

I've only ever seen utility / boot rooms, which is fine until you drop your clean laundry on the floor because you're a bit of a twit sometimes Embarassed
Shan

Oh no... the utility room has to be separate to the boot room, then you can chuck your washing on the floor.... Embarassed
jema

As I said previously, a wood-fired sauna is a must for me if it can be managed at all. Bonus points if the "waste" heat can be diverted to a greenhouse during the cold months. Further bonus points for outdoor shower next to the sauna.

This of course all ties in with my dreams of having a large climate-battery style greenhouse a la Jerome Ostenowski

https://www.chelseagreen.com/blogs/forest-garden-greenhouse-review-permaculture-design-magazine/

Saunas a sore point, we have what is pretty ideal for us at the moment, but at the old place we had a sauna/shower room. Having got back possession of the place we have been back in the sauna and it annoys the hell out of me that it's not feasible where we are.
Slim

so, in other words they are to be considered for any new build? Very Happy
john of wessex

I'd definitely go for both Utility & boot rooms
sgt.colon

I'd like a swimming pool and gym but then I don't that would look right in the old farm house I'd like, with 2 acres of land. Yes to utility and boot room. wellington womble

For me, no. But it seems a stupid place to put a washing machine. It's always seemed sensible to me to put it where the washing is. The utility room can have things that belong outside, but need frequent checking or coddling. Animal feed, boots, various garden things on their way out, light tools, batteries etc. Pets (my dining room is currently home to all of the above, including a dozen chicks and a few hundred meal worms)

I'd quite like one of these.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSPoVTJ9ME
Slim

That's a fancy way to dress up a root cellar. I don't see how it's "based on a root cellar" and not simply just a new root cellar however.

I didn't see ventilation, but it would definitely need it, so I imagine it's there somewhere.
sean

Quite impressed by him (assuming it's the designer) being hardcore enough to take it to the beach with him. I thought a 50L coolbox was going it but I shall obviously have to up my game. john of wessex

Generator Room?

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/portable-domestic-solid-fuel-fired-steam-driven-electrical-generator-sets/
gythagirl

Washing machine in the utility room because the utility room has the door to the garden where the washing line is... Mistress Rose

A cellar would be nice, but we have never had one. I have the washer, drier and freezer in the utility room, which is the end of the old kitchen, now more of a passageway, with a rather interesting selection of pipework.

I would like a house away from a main road with a garden big enough to grow vegetables, but not too big. Would also like a wood fired cooker. We have been looking at one of those for about 40 years, and am beginning to wonder if I will ever get one before I am too old to do the stoking.
Hairyloon

This is apparently common in the US (those that have machines rather than use laundrettes). There's a whole Thing about washing machines in kitchens being strange and unhygienic Laughing

I don't know about that, but it makes practical sense: clothes off to get in the bath and straight into the washing machine.
Also, we have a large bathroom here: what else to do with the space?
Shan

No no no no no... the bathroom is meant to be a sanctuary, not a laundry! Slim

No no no no no... the bathroom is meant to be a sanctuary, not a laundry!

Just think of the acoustic cover that is provided by a working laundry machine though! Laughing
Shan

Laughing Hairyloon

No no no no no... the bathroom is meant to be a sanctuary...

Ah, if only it were... Sad
Bebo

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67752140.html

Walking distance of a station. That would be heaven.
sean

Still commuting then? gythagirl

Love the first 'key feature' of that house - 'Fancy having your horses at home?' - !!! Well why wouldn't you! NorthernMonkeyGirl

They've ID-ed their target market!
Not to my taste, but then I like the "Chapel ready to convert, comes with own cemetery" types.
Slim

They've ID-ed their target market!
Not to my taste, but then I like the "Chapel ready to convert, comes with own cemetery" types.

This one's been for sale for relatively cheap for a few years now.
No cemetery though unfortunately.
https://vermont.craigslist.org/reb/d/historic-church-for/6282477406.html

Near a world famous trout river however
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Somebody REALLY likes chickens john of wessex

And reinstatement of the connection to the railway to Tenterden is underway NorthernMonkeyGirl

How about https://www.struttandparker.com/properties/grove-road-2 ?

It's got an orangerie!

Edit - something a little more modest https://www.propertypigeon.co.uk/property-search/knaresborough/hg5-1527863147?utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=for-sale
Slim

Shocked For that money (less actually, considering the exchange rate) you can get a big fancy contemporary timber frame on 220 acres over here

https://vermont.craigslist.org/reb/d/definitive-vermont-view-mls/6278509958.html
dpack

nice choices, i will have a look for some examples of what i might go for. NorthernMonkeyGirl

Shocked For that money (less actually, considering the exchange rate) you can get a big fancy contemporary timber frame on 220 acres over here

https://vermont.craigslist.org/reb/d/definitive-vermont-view-mls/6278509958.html

*wistful sigh*

One day I might be able to afford the snail in picture 10 Laughing
wellington womble

Love the first 'key feature' of that house - 'Fancy having your horses at home?' - !!! Well why wouldn't you!

When I went to look at the house I am apparently being brave (and insane) to think of buying, the estate agent went on and on about where I could build the stables, and so on. Even though I'd told him I didn't ride and don't have horses (dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle) and wanted to plant trees on the land.

I'm wondering about an earth sheltered house, except I can't find one I like (I like the idea, I just hate all the designs I've seen) and I really like the idea of a cash-neutral property. Although I don't know if it's feasible.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Places to look for info might include the Centre for Alternative Technology, and there is also a miscanthus building doing the rounds on twitter from Aber. University http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09295cw Mistress Rose

The Primitive Methodist Chapel in our village was far more modest, and converted to only a sleeping mezzanine suitable for no more than a couple. The Mission Chapel in the next village has been converted to a shop downstairs and a hairdressers upstairs.

Sadly, land is a lot more expensive in the UK Slim. Even woodland is going for £10k and acre plus for small woods.
Bebo

Still commuting then?

Yup. Got involved in starting a new company last Autumn which involved me going back to working 5 days a week. Very tiresome.
Bebo

And reinstatement of the connection to the railway to Tenterden is underway

I know. Absolutely pointless for commuters and really just some daft idea of the steam railway mob. They have planning consent but don't own the land, which they won't ever get unless there is some daft attempt to get it through the local authority by compulsory purchase. I'll be joining the protests against it if they try to do that.
Bebo

This one has been on the market a while. Really like it, but could do with a little more land.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50115975.html
Mistress Rose

There is a property near us that might be nice if we were willing to do really extensive work on the house, maybe even more than Dpack is doing. There is a house with 2 cottages at the front of the property, then about 1 acre of land behind the whole lot. Sadly as it has been left so long, and is very derelict, I rather suspect that it is going for building land at grossly inflated prices. Would be nice to live in the house and use the land for garden/storage and work area, and rent or sell the cottages. Although I can't see many of the locals being that keen on a woodyard there as they are mainly townspeople who have moved out for a 'quiet' life. wellington womble

A proper walled garden. Every house should have one. Mistress Rose

That would be lovely. Would be possible to grow things against the walls and get ripening times advanced retarded, depending on which bit of the garden you use. Only problem is that it needs to be quite big otherwise the walls cast too much shadow. sgt.colon

You could train some fruit trees along a wall.

I think I'd like to add a cottage garden to mine as well.
Slim

A walled garden could really be an asset here where we get so cold.

I'd look awfully fancy as the only home in the state with one (guessing), though I might draw a skeptical eye as neighbors began wondering what illegal thing I might be growing behind the wall... Laughing
wellington womble

I have often wondered about learning to lay brick, just so I could have one. They cost a fortune, but are fairly basic (if time consuming) to do, I'm told. One day, maybe. Jam Lady

Consider building a serpentine brick wall. Not only pretty, but also practical. They can often be built of a single wythe of masonry, no piers or reinforcement, 4 inches thick and up to 4 feet 8 inches tall. Mistress Rose

They look good in a garden too Jam Lady.

Slim, the only problem you might have is that a walled garden might be a frost trap in extreme cold. That could be a problem for us being on a slope so would probably mean some holes in the downhill side to let out the cold.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home