Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
sally_in_wales

The Million Dollar Website

I have to say I'm impressed, this kid has sold his homepage to advertising one pixel at a time at $1 a square, and made a million in a short amount of time. If even some of the letters of recommendation from people who bought squares are anything to go by, its been really successful advertising space too with people reporting record traffic and orders! Typical assortment of dodgy services I think, but also some very 'normal' businesses.
http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/

I clicked on one link randomly and got a guy selling similar space for 1c a square, with a proportion going to charity, so on a whim I spent $8 from my pocketmoney (paypal) account and decided to play along. Could be $8 down the drain, could be good advertising for my site. Who knows. http://www.onecentads.com/

Anyway, fairplay to that kid, very enterprising and I'm sure he'll do well out of this. I'm also fairly sure we'll see more look-alike sites. After all, if they persuaded me to pay for advertising space they should have no trouble persuading the bigger businesses to try.
woodyandluna

I used to frequent a small business forum and remember in August when he posted a message asking what people thought about his idea.

I too was impressed with how well he has done and it sort of restored my faith in the internet as a tool where good ideas do well, but after a little research it turns out that the whole enterprise was a well thought out business, using expensive marketing guru's and the whole story of "I'm just trying to fund my way through uni" was probably just a PR stunt. Maybe not though.

He does appear to have done well, but a $7,000 a month PR guru must be taking a fair percentage of the profits. I also suspect that his family were probably well-off business people in the first place too.

That makes me sound really pessimistic doesn't it?!! I wish it was as rosy as it sounds, but I doubt it. Do a google search for Million Dollar Homepage, (I think his name was Alex Tew off the top of my head) and make your own mind up. I just can't help thinking it's just a useless, over-hyped PR machine. Absolute cr*p! But if he's done well for himself, good for him, just shows what twaddle people will pay for!!

And yes, the copycats are already out in force!! You'll find them soon if you haven't already!!

Brica

(Grumpy day today, I'll be happier tomorrow!!) Very Happy
sally_in_wales

Been reading up on some of it since posting my first message and yes, lots of copycat sites out there. Still think it was a well done bit of advertising, and I'm going to be very interested to see if my $8 worth brings any extra hits to my site. Never paid for any form of advertising before, so as a one off experiment I'm game for the experiment.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home