Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
mimborin

The peppary bolete (Boletus (=chalciporus) piperatus)

Anyone had any experience eating this? Raw it is very peppery, does it retain its pepperyness when cooked or dried? Is it even worth eating? If you have eaten it how did you use it?

Thanks in advance.
Maxwell

I've dried and powdered B piperatus before and used it as a pepper substitute. Not tried cooking it fresh but I heard a mycologist mention that they loose their pepperiness on cooking and are quite tasty.
Maxwell

Re: The peppary bolete (Boletus (=chalciporus) piperatus)

Quote:
http://www.mykoweb.com/boletes/species/Boletus_piperatus.html

According to Mcllvaine, the peppery taste is lost upon cooking and it is then edible and delicious. On the other hand, Murrill warns that it is poisonous and should be avoided.
mimborin

Maxwell wrote:
I've dried and powdered B piperatus before and used it as a pepper substitute. Not tried cooking it fresh but I heard a mycologist mention that they loose their pepperiness on cooking and are quite tasty.

Cheers Maxwell, thats basically what I wanted to know. I think I will try drying some, powdering it and mixing it with B. Edulis powder, then using it as a substitute for pepper.

Maxwell wrote:
http://www.mykoweb.com/boletes/species/Boletus_piperatus.html

According to Mcllvaine, the peppery taste is lost upon cooking and it is then edible and delicious. On the other hand, Murrill warns that it is poisonous and should be avoided.

Thanks for that, I believe it has been known to cause gastrointestinal upsets, but is in the same order of magnitude as the Horse Mushroom, which I have no problem with. I guess like any wild mushroom, that is said to be edible, it is a case of trying a little at first and not over indulging on it.

Usual disclaimers apply. Don't eat anything on my advice, just don't!
cab

Found some on a walk along behind some sand dunes last year. Dried them and then added them to my dried boletus mix. They're always used cooked, and I've detected nothing peppery about them when thus used.
Maxwell

mimborin wrote:
I think I will try drying some, powdering it and mixing it with B. Edulis powder, then using it as a substitute for pepper.

Clitocybe odora is another interesting one to use as seasoning. It tastes and smells strongly of anise and often shares the same habitat as B piperatus.

Phillips doesn't recommend consuming them but they're widely regarded as an edible and I've never had a problem using them as seasoning.

cab

The trend has been largely away from eating leaf litter mushrooms, they're meant to more prone to absorbing pollutants and suchlike. I'm dubious about that.

C. odora is tasty, I think, but its strong anise flavour is almost a problem. It keeps that scent really well as it dries.

C. nebularis is another leaf litter one that used to be regarded as edible, and the books I picked up as kid told me it was edible, so I've been eating it for years. All the modern books tell you its poisonous.
Maxwell

cab wrote:
The trend has been largely away from eating leaf litter mushrooms, they're meant to more prone to absorbing pollutants and suchlike.

That would rule out Wood Blewits too I suppose... Confused

Never tried C nebularis even though it is very common here. I hear it's peppery too. Is the pepperiness lost on cooking like B piperatus?
cab

Maxwell wrote:
That would rule out Wood Blewits too I suppose... Confused

I suppose, although I've never seen that one listed as dodgy. Does cause upsets in some, though.

Quote:

Never tried C nebularis even though it is very common here. I hear it's peppery too. Is the pepperiness lost on cooking like B piperatus?

It isn't as peppery at all, but what heat it has isn't lost so much on cooking, if that makes sense. Unlike, say, most of the peppery or hot russulas.
Truffle

Theres some excellent papers on the concentration of pollutants in fungi. There seems to be a lot of evidence for the accumulation of heavy metals (inc arsenic). The evidence is so strong that I have discussed at conferences the possibility of using fungi for bioremediation projects. Also, this extends beyond 'leaf-litter' fungi as we've also been looking at mycorrhizal fungi.

I guess the lesson is, don't collect shrooms from known contaminated ground!
cab

The potential use of fungi for accumulating pollutants goes back for years. Everything from growing fungi on contaminated ground and removing them, right through to taking spent mycelium from big industrial fermentatiosn, pressing it into a 'cake' and filtering polluted water through it. Looks good on paper, but its been hard to make it work well enough and cheaply enough in the field.

But with the increasing cost of leaving things polluted coming from legislators I think that this may well change.

For my money, whats needed is some small faffing about with fungal cell walls to make 'em more absorbant for metal ions (as a start).
Truffle

Exactly. We're working on the mycorrhizal side and have a few projects in the pipeline. Theres some excellent applications and we have some good names involved. Watch this space.
tahir

Truffle wrote:
Exactly. We're working on the mycorrhizal side and have a few projects in the pipeline. Theres some excellent applications and we have some good names involved. Watch this space.

If it's Ok with a soil ph of 6.0 then I'm your man....still got plenty of free land.
cab

Truffle wrote:

Excellent news. I'll look forward to hearing more.
tahir

tahir wrote:
Truffle wrote:

If it's Ok with a soil ph of 6.0 then I'm your man....still got plenty of free land.

Ahh, just reread the thread, hopefully my land is uncontaminated, still be nice to get fruitiing mycorrhizals here...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home