Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
jamanda

The Prince?

I thought this could be The Prince from looking in Phillips. But looking at Zazara's photo in the gallery the gills on mine are much darker. It smells mushroomy - not really getting bitter almonds. Also wondered about A. porphyrocephalus

bubble

looks more likely to be aga. placomyces than the prince,piccies not very clear.
cab

Hard to tell from a single, older specimen. Even field shrooms to get a but scaley on top as they age.
jamanda

I'll keep an eye out for a better one - that was the best one there.
beckyboots

That really is a ropy old piece of fungi. I am surprised you picked it and not just take the photo in situ...........makes more sense to me. It is not a Prince but more likely Agaricus sylvaticus or similar.
All the Agaricus familly have pink gills that darken as they age, except Arvensis whose gills when very young are cream then pink and darkening
jamanda

Well I picked it because I didn't have a camera - just a smelly springer spaniel. I thought Agaricus sylvaticus at first, but it certainly doesn't discolour on bruising.
bubble

with very old specimens the reddening [aga. silvaticus] or the yellowing [aga. placomyces] is not always evident,looks a bit big to me to be silvaticus.
nettie

What sort of size is the cap, Jamanda? The Prince tends to be quite large.
jamanda

About 10cm.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home