Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Jonnyboy

The Sainsbury's 50 starvation diet.

monday - 1523 calories
tuesday - 1535 calories
wednesday - 1520 calories
thursday - 1587 calories

You get my drift, it might be only 50 quid, but it needs to be topped up with snacks to hit your daily calorie intake, and it's quite high on the carbs if you ask me, despite the claim that it is nutritionally balanced.

Anyone think it will catch on?
Behemoth

A bit thin on details but what wine would you recommend with it?
Jonnyboy

vimto
Jamanda

Certainly low on calories for a man. Is it on their Website? I think 50 is a lot for one person for a week (assuming you have normal in the store cupboard.)
Chickem

Certainly low on calories for a man. Is it on their Website? I think 50 is a lot for one person for a week (assuming you have normal in the store cupboard.)

I gather its for a family of 4.....i think i'll pass puke_l
Behemoth

vimto

A confusion of vowels.
Jamanda

That's not a lot then. And you couldn't feed a teenager or physically hard working adult on those calories.

Just had a look on their website - what a load of nonsense. Rolling Eyes
Jamanda

There's a challenge though - devise a week's menu for four for 50 that would fill you up and not lead to scurvy or rickets. bagpuss

There's a challenge though - devise a week's menu for four for 50 that would fill you up and not lead to scurvy or rickets.

I suspect its a cunning marketing ploy in that people will buy all the stuff (including the store cupboard ingredients) to be able to make the menu and spend another 50 on snacks that are in no way healthy so sainsburys makes money
Rob R

There's a challenge though - devise a week's menu for four for 50 that would fill you up and not lead to scurvy or rickets.

I do one, it comes in beef, pork or lamb flavour...
Jonnyboy

I think it's doable, would probabaly have to use tinned fish & fruit though, plus pulses, dried beans. The usual stuff resourceful people buy! Very Happy
sally_in_wales

ok, so we need 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners and some snacks, Downsizer style but assuming you have to buy the ingredients, and all coming in at 50 for 4 people. Should be fun to see what we come up with

Porridge gets my vote as one of the breakfast options, its cheap. filling and easily tweaked to suit different tastes and calorie needs.
Barefoot Andrew

Porridge is vile! Yes, I know many will wonder what on earth is the matter with me... Wink
A.
sally_in_wales

Porridge is vile! Yes, I know many will wonder what on earth is the matter with me... Wink
A.

fortunately you get options for breakfast on the DS version of this, so even though you are clearly mad, you could have something else instead
Rob R

Smoked haddock tongue8 sally_in_wales

Smoked haddock tongue8

delicious, but can you fit it into the budget for the week? Its a fairly expensive breakfast for 4 isnt it?
Rob R

No, I was just thinking out loud Laughing Barefoot Andrew

Sounds like your stomach thinking out loud to me Wink
A.
Penny Outskirts

Sounds like a good challenge to me Smile Porridge is lovely with a pinch of salt Katieowl

Hmm well three of the weekday breakfasts are toast with strawberry jam...very nutritious! (the other two appear to be a few slices of banana and a handful of mini shreddeded wheat)

I see they have a roast chicken for Sunday - one of the sad three for a tenner ones Crying or Very sad and they don't seem to be suggesting the elastic/rubber chicken thingy to strech it to three meals, so that would be a start. (Maybe someone should comparison shop at Aldi - Aldi have a free range chicken for 4.99)

Kate
Barefoot Andrew

I see they have a roast chicken for Sunday - one of the sad three for a tenner ones Crying or Very sad

I think the three-for-a-tenner thing refers to three meat items for a tenner, not necessarily three chickens.

However, the chicken is priced at 4. Given that an RSPCA freedom foods chicken is usually 5-6 one surmises that the chicken they're pitching isn't to our standards Sad If so, shame on them.
A.
Jonnyboy

breakfast has to be boiled egg with soldiers, or porridge. kirstyfern

breakfast has to be boiled egg with soldiers, or porridge.

Or marmite on toast Smile
kirstyfern

I'm sure Iceland could do 7 x 4 = 28 ready meals plus cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch for under 50...

I wouldn't eat it though!
gorbut

I looked at the Sainsburys website and thought that it would only feed a family with small children. Also there seems to be very little fruit and not much dairy. Also no provision for anything to drink other than water. I don't get going without my cup of tea Smile I wouldn't have thought sausages twice was a good thing either and I also wondered what was going to happen to the rest of the chicken. Katieowl

I looked at the Sainsburys website and thought that it would only feed a family with small children. Also there seems to be very little fruit and not much dairy. Also no provision for anything to drink other than water. I don't get going without my cup of tea Smile I wouldn't have thought sausages twice was a good thing either and I also wondered what was going to happen to the rest of the chicken.

Those sausages are those vile frozen ones too puke_r tubes of frozen slurry that ooze half a gallon of grease when you cook them. Mind you 20 sausages for 1.46 kind of is the clue innit?

That Bean hot pot really needs something with it though doesn't it? A jacket spud or something...

I make a 'quick' bean stew sometimes which has carrot, onions, tined tomatoes, celery, a tin of baked beans and tin of kidney beans, perfectly filling on it's own (with a potato or two!) no need for sausage at all, but if I'd picked up a reduced chorizo, or a kabanos for 50p I'd throw that in, it would be a better bet nutritionally too, because of the extra veggies.

Kate
buzzy

Not for breakfast - Marmite should not be eaten before midday. Smile

Henry
Katieowl

Henry

Interesting...because for me Marmite should be BEFORE the sun hits the yard arm? (and never used to make stock!!!)

Kate
oldish chris

Been thinking, its achievable. 50 a week equates to 7 per day. From previous posts this covers two adults and two youngsters and it seems just food (and not other essentials such as tea and cabernet-sauvignon). Sub-dividing further: 1.00 for breakfast, 2.00 for lunch and 4.00 for dinner - does that sound reasonable?

The real culinary skill would be to pad out decent meat rather than fall back on "economy" burgers and sausages.

I also think that one or two veggie meals a week could cut costs.
bagpuss

Been thinking, its achievable. 50 a week equates to 7 per day. From previous posts this covers two adults and two youngsters and it seems just food (and not other essentials such as tea and cabernet-sauvignon). Sub-dividing further: 1.00 for breakfast, 2.00 for lunch and 4.00 for dinner - does that sound reasonable?

The real culinary skill would be to pad out decent meat rather than fall back on "economy" burgers and sausages.

You could always give a single day a stab here

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=62646&highlight=
Jools

There's a girl on MSE who has devised a couple of meal planners (one meaty, one veggie) to feed a family of 4 for 100 a month which looks much better.

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planners.html
oldish chris

I'm up for it, I'll see if I can feed me and the missus for 3.50.

However, tomorrow No1 Son and his partner are visiting for a few days, first meal is tagine of lamb with apricots - cost of new season English lamb: 20.
Green Rosie

I've just written a DS article - how to cook cheaper but I'm waiting to see if the mods are going to publish it. sean

We are, we are. Just needs someone to feel up to wrestling with the code. Chez

We are, we are. Just needs someone to feel up to wrestling with the code.

I'll have a look at it when the kids are at nursery tomorrow if you like.

Arv and I fed us and Leo on 25 a week for a bit; that included nappies and baby formula. We ate a LOT of veg.
sean

Ta. Smile Chez

There's a girl on MSE who has devised a couple of meal planners (one meaty, one veggie) to feed a family of 4 for 100 a month which looks much better.

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planners.html

That looks good - we REALLY need some sort of planned routine for meals at the moment. I will have a poke at it later. Thanks Jools.
Jools

You're welcome. Smile

I know she's worked really hard on those planners to make sure that they're not only cheap, but nutritionally balanced.
Green Rosie

Ta. Smile

Ta from here too Laughing
Katieowl

You're welcome. Smile

I know she's worked really hard on those planners to make sure that they're not only cheap, but nutritionally balanced.

Who was the poster on MSN Jools??? Just curious I used to hang out there a bit!

Like the sound of her seed butter...might give that a go myself. I Remembered to eat Peanut butter this morning, and survived till lunch much better. (I'm trying to cut back on ordinary bread, as it seems to be really disagreeing with me ATM, really struggling to take enough on board for breakfast to avoid having a bit of a dip before lunch)

Kate
oldish chris

Its not that easy is it? I've just costed out a "frugal" days eating for me and my wife. It came to 2.35 each, including "short dated" price reductions. It only included 4 of the "5 a day". Apparently it only contained 1,727 Calories. Katieowl

So what you are trying to say Chris, is there should be no such thing as an overweight frugal eater? Laughing

SOOOOO Wish that was true! Wink

Kate
Jools

Kate, it's Weezl. ninat

I took a look at the shopping list on Sainsbury's website and thought most of it looked fairly minging- those cheap sausages and rubbish chickens...
It's easy to make good quality meat go a very long way if you're careful
Rob R

However, tomorrow No1 Son and his partner are visiting for a few days, first meal is tagine of lamb with apricots - cost of new season English lamb: 20.

Bloody cheap lamb, that. Wink
derbyshiredowser

Just as I worked out a weeks worth of my coeliac meals I found this
damn...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/preachers-prophesying-end-world-york-000338169.html
LynneA

damn...

Saw that too. Wonder if there's any point renewing my library books Wink
Green Rosie

damn...

Saw that too. Wonder if there's any point renewing my library books Wink

Or looking for my lost one Rolling Eyes
Chez

I wrestled with the code and Rosie's article is published Wink Jamanda

And jolly good it is too! Much more sensible than Sainsbury's! marigold

And jolly good it is too! Much more sensible than Sainsbury's!

Indeed it is - may I add eating cold to avoid cooking altogether? Many summer meals can be made without any extra cooking - e.g. cook a double quantity of spuds to have hot one day and cold as potato salad the next; batch bake quiche/savoury loaf to have hot one day, cold the next; cook enough boiled eggs for two days at a time - egg mayo sarnies one day, halved eggs with salad the next etc.
Green Rosie

I wrestled with the code and Rosie's article is published Wink

You are a star - go to the top of the glass and have 3 slices of cake Laughing
Green Rosie

And jolly good it is too! Much more sensible than Sainsbury's!

Thank you Embarassed
kirstyfern

Henry

Interesting...because for me Marmite should be BEFORE the sun hits the yard arm? (and never used to make stock!!!)

Kate

Marmite = any time of the day Wink
but NEVER to make stock!
kirstyfern

I've slow cooked the last of Rob's mutton joints with potatoes and veg - that will make us about 12 meals Wink
oldish chris

T'was only it's shoulder. However, it fed four adults with enough left over for two meals (of a suitable quantity for the weight conscious).
Rob R

T'was only it's shoulder. However, it fed four adults with enough left over for two meals (of a suitable quantity for the weight conscious).

A couple of kilo's? Non-grain fed is only 12...
Rosemary Judy

The Sainsbury's plan is written in conjunction with the British Nutrition Foundation and they know what they are talking about.

The other plan is also very good - she has worked hard to understand the nutritional principles and has come up with a good plan. This one relies a lot more on making your own stuff,

and the Sainsburys plan is for the average British family who can barely peel a potato .....

so they are aimed at different groups of the population.

Both have their place......

Good article GreenRosie
oldish chris

I noticed that this thread died a death when our gardens became productive again!

Anyhow, apparently the Advertising Standards Agency has been critical of the advert and banned it Shocked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/apr/04/asa-bans-sainsburys-advertising-campaign

Its worth reopening the thread to provide opportunities for "Told you so" Wink
dpack

Re: The Sainsbury's 50 starvation diet.

monday - 1523 calories
tuesday - 1535 calories
wednesday - 1520 calories
thursday - 1587 calories

You get my drift, it might be only 50 quid, but it needs to be topped up with snacks to hit your daily calorie intake, and it's quite high on the carbs if you ask me, despite the claim that it is nutritionally balanced.

Anyone think it will catch on?

until one puts a line through the zero it is fine . 1570 was the ration for slave workers in the kz until someone sorted the food bill by striking out the nought
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home