Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Barefoot Andrew

The secret world of the Link Fairy laid bare

You too can do fancy short links - as in "the Downsizer website is here". It's quite easy and this post tells you how.

A bold step

First let's look at how to do bold text. The easiest way is simply highlight the bit of text you want boldifying and then click the B icon in the post editor (where it says B, i, u, Quote etc). Alternatively, you can simply write [b] immediately before the text, and [/b] immediately afterwards. So:-

today is a [b]sunny[/b] day

would come out as:-

today is a sunny day

When you click the B icon, the post editor simply inserts these markers before and afterwards for you. Nothing more to it than that!

Links

Doing links is very similar, but we use [url] and [/url] to surround the link instead of [b] and [/b]. So this:-

[url]www.downsizer.net[/url]

www.downsizer.net

If you want a "long" link like this, you don't have to worry about the [url] and [/url] markers: when you paste in a URL, Downsizer is clever and knows what you mean, and converts it to a dark green clickable link for you.

If you want a fancy short link however, you do have to put the markers in yourself, but the format is slightly different. Instead of:-

[url]website address here[/url]

it becomes:-

[url=website address here]Text of your choice here[/url]

It is important to get the '=' sign and the square brackets in the right place otherwise it won't work. That might seem like a slight faff at first but it's a doddle really. So:-

The Downsizer website is [url=www.downsizer.net]here[/url]

The Downsizer website is here.

And finally...

As well as short links and formatted text, you can do other fancy things like bullet lists. These simple techniques are called BBCode and you can find a fuller article on what you can do and how to do it here.
A.
Jonnyboy

And if people don't follow this wise advice, Andrew will cut off his other foot.
Blue Sky

That was nifty. I wondered for a minute how you'd done it. Wink
dougal

And I'd place a bet that almost no one recognises that the *real* magic lies in making the [something] and [/something] tags appear (without just working, invisibly), while, in the same post, making them work, as usual, invisibly...
That, people, is where the magic lies! Cool
Barefoot Andrew

Witchcraft is sometimes quite easy when you know how... Very Happy
A.
Jonnyboy

dougal wrote:
And I'd place a bet that almost no one recognises that the *real* magic lies in making the [something] and [/something] tags appear (without just working, invisibly), while, in the same post, making them work, as usual, invisibly...
That, people, is where the magic lies! Cool

Stop confusing the target audience. Wink
Cathryn

It's a bit long, are we expected to read it all?
Northern_Lad

ruby wrote:
It's a bit long, are we expected to read it all?

Yes; and there's written exam to follow.
Behemoth

I don't trust in science and will continue to believe in the web fairies.
Barefoot Andrew

Behemoth wrote:
I don't trust in science and will continue to believe in the web fairies.

Help comes to those who help themselves...
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Helpful bump.
A.
yummersetter

yes, I thought about shortening the Liz Jones story link, but the effect of that bottle of shiraz I polished off this evening said no. no. no. Very Happy
earthyvirgo

Great, glad you posted that BA.
I always feel rather Embarassed not remembering how to make short links.

EV
Nick

Re: The secret world of the Link Fairy laid bare

You too can do fancy short links - as in "the Downsizer website is here". It's quite easy and this post tells you how.

A bold step

First let's look at how to do bold text. The easiest way is simply highlight the bit of text you want boldifying and then click the B icon in the post editor (where it says B, i, u, Quote etc). Alternatively, you can simply write immediately before the text, and immediately afterwards. So:-

today is a sunny day

today is a sunny day

When you click the B icon, the post editor simply inserts these markers before and afterwards for you. Nothing more to it than that!

Links

Doing links is very similar, but we use [url] and [/url] to surround the link instead of and . So this:-

www.downsizer.net

www.downsizer.net

If you want a "long" link like this, you don't have to worry about the [url] and [/url] markers: when you paste in a URL, Downsizer is clever and knows what you mean, and converts it to a dark green clickable link for you.

If you want a fancy short link however, you do have to put the markers in yourself, but the format is slightly different. Instead of:-

[url]website address here[/url]

it becomes:-

[url=website address here]Text of your choice here[/url]

It is important to get the '=' sign and the square brackets in the right place otherwise it won't work. That might seem like a slight faff at first but it's a doddle really. So:-

The Downsizer website is here

The Downsizer website is here.

And finally...

As well as short links and formatted text, you can do other fancy things like bullet lists. These simple techniques are called BBCode and you can find a fuller article on what you can do and how to do it here.
A.

Thought I'd force this to reappear so MJ, dpack and other lazy types can try and work it out for themselves. It's not rocket surgery, and leaving huge links makes all the other posts in the thread to become unreadable at times. Please, why don't you try?
Mary-Jane

Don't call me lazy Nick
Pilsbury

please sticky this, i spend ages lookig for post that have link fairy magic so i can use quote and see hows its done.... again...
Nick

Don't call me lazy Nick

They're you go.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

It clicked for me when I read it a bit differently. I can't do the real corcery, so take out the spaces after each "url" bit

[url ]The writing here is what you want to read[/url ]

[url=thewebsiteyouwanttogoto ]The writing you want to read[/url ]
jamanda

please sticky this, i spend ages lookig for post that have link fairy magic so i can use quote and see hows its done.... again...

'Tis done.
Mary-Jane

Don't call me lazy Nick

They're you go.

Rolling Eyes
Nick

Hey, you can do quotes, links and color! Mary-Jane

Hey, you can do quotes, links and color!

*Slap*
bibbster

Laughing Mary-Jane

Imbecile.
Barefoot Andrew

Justice seems to have been done Laughing
A.
Barefoot Andrew

'Tis done.

There was in theory no need - as this thread is mentioned in an indexy thing here that was stickied.
A.
jamanda

I know, but anything to make life easier. Nick

Imbecile.

You know I did that to raise you're blood pressure, right?

(That two)

(And that)
jamanda

Anyone would of thought youd nothing better to do than annoy Mary Jane! Nick

I know. It's like I haven't got a list of a million jobs. Mary-Jane

I need a lie down in a darkened room... Lloyd

Bump dpack

it took me a while to get the hang of it but a post it note with the note

[url=blah blah blah]headline[/url]

for a few months and it eventually got easy (most times).

checking it works in preview helps
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home