Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Jools

The Smallholder's Show Builth

Or rather the renamed Royal Welsh Spring Festival.

A couple of things:

1. Anyone planning on going? It was good meeting up with Downsizers there last year.

2. The name change. It was our first time going there and as we liked it so much, we then went to the Royal Welsh Show expecting it to be similar, but bigger.

We were very disappointed in the RW show as it seemed to be very corporate, even down to the fast food choices. At the smallholders show there were lots of small producers selling cooked food of all kinds, but at the RW it was a choice of burgers and chips or fish and chips and all by the same franchise vans.

We're worried now that the *Spring Festival* is going to go the same way.

But, we'll be going this year, so it would be great to meet up with others again.
Bebo

Looking doubtful for us this year. But you're right, it was nice to meet you last year.
bibbster

when is it, I try and go if I can!
Jools

19 and 20th May.
bibbster

Great, I should be able to go on the Saturday, weather permitting....would be nice to meet up with any DS'ers who are there!
Jools

We're planning on going on the saturday too as that's when the poultry show is on.
bibbster

We're planning on going on the saturday too as that's when the poultry show is on.

ooh, thats risky Wink , I might be tempted
Jools

True! Laughing
Pel

I'll be going, cae and hubby arent though this year.. sending little one off to his granny and pops (inlaws), though they will be coming with cae on the sunday.
So I'm free for a meet up saturday if anyone else is going.. i shall try and bring some food this time.
DawnMK

we are looking at going although it will be the Sunday working Saturday
Chez

By a bizarre and happy co-incidence, we are meeting friends for a weekend's camping near Disserth that weekend.

How much is a day ticket and what day is the poultry? Embarassed
Jools

12 and the poultry show is saturday, but the poultry auction is sunday.

We're going saturday.
Chez

Saturday sounds wise Smile

I will speak to our friends and see if they fancy it.
Pel

I'll be there both days DawnMK if you'd like to meet and say Hi (or anyone else)
Saturday: Just me
Sunday: Possibly son and I (or just me again).

I have a friend in builth and staying with her for the weekend, which i'm rather glad as the 3 years ive taken a tent they break in the horrendus winds that they seem to get each year.. and the tents were all good makes and had all survived coastal winds/nearly gales.
DawnMK

Its a date Very Happy I havent been to this one before so it will be nice for a change
VSS

Re: The Smallholder's Show Builth

2. The name change. It was our first time going there and as we liked it so much, we then went to the Royal Welsh Show expecting it to be similar, but bigger.

We were very disappointed in the RW show as it seemed to be very corporate, even down to the fast food choices. At the smallholders show there were lots of small producers selling cooked food of all kinds, but at the RW it was a choice of burgers and chips or fish and chips and all by the same franchise vans.

My OH is on the show committee for the "Spring Festival" and the whole committee is very clear that it must retain its own identity and not become a minature Royal Welsh.

We go the this event every year, but wouldn't touch the Royal Welsh with a barge pole if it could be avoided.
vegplot

We'll be in Pembrokeshire on holiday Smile Rob R

We go the this event every year, but wouldn't touch the Royal Welsh with a barge pole if it could be avoided.

What's so bad about the Royal Welsh?
Jools

My OH is on the show committee for the "Spring Festival" and the whole committee is very clear that it must retain its own identity and not become a minature Royal Welsh.

That's reassuring. Thanks. Smile We'll have to pop by to see you. Are you showing sheep?
VSS

Are you showing sheep?

Yes and Tim is doing sheep handling workshops during the weekend.
VSS

Too many people by a long way. Cheek by jowl with over 50,000 other people is just too much to cope with.
Rob R

Too many people by a long way. Cheek by jowl with over 50,000 other people is just too much to cope with.

I can imagine - the whole place seemed about the size of a supermarket carpark. I was rather underwhelmed.
Nick

Agreed. Too many people, too big. Tho, to be fair the small holder show has buggered up the parking and access in the past too. But, it's smaller, cosier, warmer. bibbster

Can we meet up? and if so where/when.. hope its a good day. bibbster

Can we meet up? and if so where/when.. hope its a good day.

bump?
Jools

We'll be there tomorrow hopefully. I say hopefully because we've got car trouble. It's in the garage and we're hoping it gets fixed today. If not, unless we can borrow Rob's uncles car, we'll be stuck at home. Pel

where are we meeting and what time? I think i may only be going on saturday, unless something exicting is on the sunday.. i'll be in builth till sunday lunch so i'll be around the place.
I'll try and check back here before sat morning.
Jools

We could meet by the bandstand, like we did last year. Say, 1pm? mochyn

Wish we were going, but no time, no money... Sad Jools

Wish we were going, but no time, no money... Sad

That's a shame, it would have been nice catching up with you again.
mochyn

Well, we've got this wash-house to finish, see? Pel

Yep i can do 1pm at bandstand Smile
I'll be the one wearing clashing colours (red coat and bright green wellies.. unless its warm then i'll have my smallholding sitting logo on a t-shirt.
Jools

Not sure what I'll be wearing yet, but you can't miss Rob's handlebar moustache! Chez

We're not going to make it. But I second the 'unmissable handlebar moustache' advice Smile DawnMK

we hope to be there Sunday if there will beany of you there I would love to meet up Very Happy bibbster

twas nice to meet you Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Array Home