Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
dpack

the stamping dance

i killed a cockroach in yorkshire yesterday

not a local species of beetle
Went

You have the first lines of a hit song and a new dance to boot....it could go viral Smile
Behemoth

You'd have to be careful the BNP didn't read a metaphor into it and turn it into a marching song....oh hang on....I see it 'BNP' and 'metaphor'....I think we're safe.
dpack

Laughing

it isnt so funny for my pal's business or my pals who live in the same terrace as the un-named pub.the chap 3 doors along has moved cos of the shiny hoard

it aint often my first thought is best to use lots of very nasty op's but this time it is

horrid critters to share premises with ,even if they can survive 50000 rads a size nine is very fatal Twisted Evil
sally_in_wales

ewwwww, I can cheerfully co-habit with most critters, but roaches squick me out competely. Yuk!
Nell Merionwen

The only place I've ever seen one is in NY. It can skittering out of the doors of a hotel Shocked I hope it paid it's bill...
dpack

they are ace little germ factories ,brilliant at biowar ,perfect in a bat cave ,very bad in dinner
Katieowl

Did you see this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15200158

Kate
Bulgarianlily

Back when I was 18 and worked in an indoor nudist club (now there was an educational experience ) I used to have to chase them round the reception area with a handy empty flip top fag packet to capture them before the clients saw them....
Andrea

My parents have been battling these (false widows) for a couple of years in their garden in SE England. They believe they arrived in a plastic planter Dad bought, and overwintered in the greenhouse before setting up permanent camp in between all the rocks and walls. Dad is forever getting bitten on his hands and wrists (you'd think he'd wear gloves .....) and they make his arm swell to the elbow and are incredibly painful. There's parts of their garden where I won't let my kids play now.
Katieowl

EEk! I'm not bothered by spiders generally, but might be a bit different if they bite! Hope Wales is too cold and wet!

Kate
Tavascarow

Kate

Lightweights, I live with them.
Wink
& a photo of the lady.

Tavascarow

As for roaches when I travelled in India we stayed in one sleazy dive that had an infestation.
I spent half the night getting out of bed & swatting them with the sole of my sandal.
When we woke in the morning their cousins had cleaned up all the remains.
Hope no ones having breakfast.
Laughing
Nick

Roaches on the Indian trains kept my kids amused for hours on long trips. Bodger

Be careful about stamping on roaches. Its obviously going to be fatal for the individual but it can be great for the family cause. Its one of the ways that they spread. I don't mean spread like jam Rolling Eyes but they carry a ootheca, which is a posh word for an egg case and its not unheard of for one of these to be trapsed back home on the bottom of someones shoe and for a new infestation to be started. alice

Be careful about stamping on roaches. Its obviously going to be fatal for the individual but it can be great for the family cause. Its one of the ways that they spread. I don't mean spread like jam Rolling Eyes but they carry a ootheca, which is a posh word for an egg case and its not unheard of for one of these to be trapsed back home on the bottom of someones shoe and for a new infestation to be started.

Yup! I knew someone who had an infestation in her car because she'd been stamping on them at work and carried the egg cases into her car, on the soles of her shoes.
She worked in a hospital Shocked
buzzy

I was in a pub in central Cambridge some years ago and as my pint was being pulled a cockroach crawled over the edge of the bar top and began drinking from a puddle of spilled liquid. The barlady noticed this and smacked the glass firmly down on top of it. I didn't go back to that pub - it's now closed, I hope it wasn't my withdrawal of custom that did it Smile.

Henry
jamanda

One shop I worked at in Kensington had a restaurant in the basement.

When the pest killers came they would spray our shop as well as down stairs. For the next few mornings you would crunch your way over to lights, then sweep up dozens of the twitching half dead corpses before opening up.

We never ate in that restaurant.
evie2

The first time I saw one was in a nursery school in the Gorbals area of Glasgow. The children said they had them in their homes, they played a game of dropping a half brick on them and whoever killed the most won.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home