Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
DawnMK

There not our Bees ..............

Neighbours left a note for us today, ''your bees have swarmed again there on the wooden boat, left side gate open for you.''
I was at home all day and didnt see anything, checked our hives and everything seemed fine, went to look at the swarm and it was massive definatly not come from us and under a deep ledge about 10 inches off the ground, we sat a nuclus box with frames on the ledge driven a lot of them up with smoke and now left them till tomorrow, the majorty are now in the box on frames, fingers crossed by the time we come home from work the rest will have joined them it was getting to dark to do any more, so now we dont have another spare hive hope to get one at the week end any more swarms and they will have to find another home we are full Shocked

We have seen some hives in a field just up the road and think they must have come from there.
Tavascarow

Build a top bar hive.
Then you can compare the two different regimes.
Wink
DawnMK

just been looking at those on google Very Happy
Tavascarow

just been looking at those on google Very Happy

Free plans here or if you want to build a warre hive, here.
Management methods between the two are different.
I personally prefer the horizontal TBH (certainly easier to build), although I can see the merits of the Warre.
DawnMK

I have just ordered two self assembly tob bar hives just havent got the time at the moment to source materials and make one, they should be with use Monday was happy with the price as well Very Happy
Sally Too

We have 2 Top Bars here. One occupied and bees seem very happy in it. Ours are only 3' which I think was a mistake the 4' would be better, but so far so good.
DawnMK

just collected last nights left out box and all the swarm are inside Very Happy worked like a dream, now a question, they are in a transport box with frames, I have coming Mon-Tue Top bar Hives can I move them into one or should they go into a standard hive as they will have settled on the frames, in which case we need another national hive we are coming to Bluith wells on Sunday will there be any for sale there Shocked
Cathryn

Hmm, it's apparently tricky. It's why I am waiting for a swarm that I can put straight into my mini topbar bait hive. Have a read on this site - http://www.biobees.com/forum Tavascarow might be back with some advice as well.
Tavascarow

just collected last nights left out box and all the swarm are inside Very Happy worked like a dream, now a question, they are in a transport box with frames, I have coming Mon-Tue Top bar Hives can I move them into one or should they go into a standard hive as they will have settled on the frames, in which case we need another national hive we are coming to Bluith wells on Sunday will there be any for sale there Shocked

I would put the travel box on the site you want to put your top bar hive & when the new hive arrives just shake the bees in off the frames.
They won't have built much comb & the queen wont have recommenced laying in such a short time.
& if they have had a few days on the site already less likely to abscond.
DawnMK

just collecting another swarm today all our travel boxes are now full, I dont know where these swarms are coming from, this is the third this week, but they all keep going to next doors garden Rolling Eyes mochasidamo

We have 2 Top Bars here. One occupied and bees seem very happy in it. Ours are only 3' which I think was a mistake the 4' would be better, but so far so good.

The lids on the 4 foot ones are a pain...but a better size for all but Amm-type.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home