Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Blue Sky

They're here again ....

The dreaded Doryphores that is! (COLORADO BEETLES)

I havn't spotted any on our crop of spuds yet but a neighbour just down the road has lots of them Shocked

More information is available on the DEFRA website:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pub1.htm
including downloadable & distributable posters such as the one below.

Anyone else got 'em yet???

Evil or Very Mad

S
Nick

I vote we ban French imports.

And invade. Who's with me?
Blue Sky

MEEeeeeeee! Laughing

Cool
Treacodactyl

You meant they've nipped into your house and attacked you spuds, or have you managed to plant them yet? Wink
Nick

Um, quick check. Obviously not a real issue, and that, but Stella's still made in Belgium, right? Not France?
sean

Depends where you buy it. It's brewed all over the place.
Blue Sky

Treacodactyl wrote:
You meant they've nipped into your house and attacked you spuds, or have you managed to plant them yet? Wink


Very Happy Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy

Finally got 'em put in on Sunday actually Cool

It is the first batch that i'm concerned with at present. they are almost a foot high.

(Sorry - foreign section = 300mm) Embarassed
Penny Outskirts

nickhowe wrote:
And invade. Who's with me?


Me me me me !!!!!!!!! (As long as it's nice and sunny, and lots of wine drinking and sitting about are involved)
Nick

sean wrote:
Depends where you buy it. It's brewed all over the place.


Calais. We may have to put this on hold til next Friday.
Northern_Lad

Penny wrote:
(As long as it's nice and sunny, and lots of wine drinking and sitting about are involved)


Don't worry, once we've reclaimed all the decent parts of France (sod Paris; it's a fetid dump) we can hop over the border to Italy; always lots of sun and good wine there.
Blue Sky

Penny wrote:
nickhowe wrote:
And invade. Who's with me?


Me me me me !!!!!!!!! (As long as it's nice and sunny, and lots of wine drinking and sitting about are involved)


For sure

I'll go check the stock situation in the cellar Wink
Now sun we can do! sunny

Cool
Blue Sky

Northern_Lad wrote:
Penny wrote:
(As long as it's nice and sunny, and lots of wine drinking and sitting about are involved)


Don't worry, once we've reclaimed all the decent parts of France (sod Paris; it's a fetid dump) we can hop over the border to Italy; always lots of sun and good wine there.


Look out Tigger!

Looks like you're next Shocked
Treacodactyl

Re: They're here again ....

simon wrote:
The dreaded Doryphores that is! (COLORADO BEETLES)



So, are they a big pest in France and what do local do about them?
Blue Sky

Re: They're here again ....

Treacodactyl wrote:

So, are they a big pest in France and what do local do about them?


Thanks TD for rescuing this topic.

They are more than a mild pain in the a$$. My neighbour said he would spray if they got bad but he didn't bother in the end. The general "organic" method of control seems to be to pick them off before they lay the eggs. I must have picked at least 200 off our crop last year but I know of people not too far from here that were overwhealmed with them. I heard of an organic spray containing a derris derived substance but havn't tried it. I prefer not to spray with anything if at all possible. (Soapy water excepted).

I'll post you a few and you can experiment with them Very Happy

Anybody else?
Treacodactyl

Re: They're here again ....

simon wrote:
I'll post you a few and you can experiment with them Very Happy


Shocked Erm, no thanks. We have enough trouble with lily beetles, we keep picking them off and they keep coming back. I do wonder how long it will be before the pesky CBs manage to fly to the south coast though. Caertainly worth people keeping an eye out for 'em. Confused
Just Jane

One of my colleagues recommended planting linseed along with the potatoes as it attracts insects which feed on the colorado beetle (or maybe its young). I've done this but as the linseed is only just through its too soon to tell if it works - I found a few of the beetles last year but no obvious affect on the spuds
tahir

Can you autumn plant linseed?
Blue Sky

We are quite far south (about 2 thirds the way down). I am not sure of the situation further north. Maybe somebody from Brittany/Normandy could advise?
hardworkinghippy

I let my chickens free-range all over the garden, but just protect soft vegetables, newly planted seeds and seedlings, salad etc. They eat everything which could be a problem.

You can protect your plot in the summer and let the chicks go over it in the winter - no slugs here either thanks to the chicks. Smile
Blue Sky

hardworkinghippy wrote:
You can protect your plot in the summer and let the chicks go over it in the winter - no slugs here either thanks to the chicks. Smile


Nice one. Don't they scrat the seedlings out? Or do you use cloches to get them established?

I've started an new thread with a more recognisable heading.

S
Just Jane

tahir wrote:
Can you autumn plant linseed?


Don't know - I just sprinkled some on at the same time as I planted the spuds
tahir

Just Jane wrote:
tahir wrote:
Can you autumn plant linseed?


Don't know - I just sprinkled some on at the same time as I planted the spuds


Just found a site that says early to late spring sowing
Anna-marie

Re: They're here again ....

simon wrote:
The dreaded Doryphores that is! (COLORADO BEETLES)

I havn't spotted any on our crop of spuds yet but a neighbour just down the road has lots of them Shocked

More information is available on the DEFRA website:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pub1.htm
including downloadable & distributable posters such as the one below.

Anyone else got 'em yet???

Evil or Very Mad





S
[bSo if they are a notifiable pest over here, why are France, Spain and Italy allowed to export their produce to us?
Anna-marie[/b]
oddballdave

Re: They're here again ....

Anna-marie wrote:
[bSo if they are a notifiable pest over here, why are France, Spain and Italy allowed to export their produce to us?
Anna-marie[/b]


Because of the way they are handled?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/newsitems/colorado.pdf

is the most recent document I know of.
Spud came direct from field in refrigerated lorry, so Beetles go into hibernation. Whoever works for Smiths/Walkers must be trained to look for 'bugs' since bug flavoured crisps have not been found to be too popular.

Dave
Bernie66

Are they still reportable in this country?
Anna-marie

Re: They're here again ....

oddballdave wrote:
Anna-marie wrote:
[bSo if they are a notifiable pest over here, why are France, Spain and Italy allowed to export their produce to us?
Anna-marie[/b]


Because of the way they are handled?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/newsitems/colorado.pdf

is the most recent document I know of.
Spud came direct from field in refrigerated lorry, so Beetles go into hibernation. Whoever works for Smiths/Walkers must be trained to look for 'bugs' since bug flavoured crisps have not been found to be too popular.
Dave


Oh, I see, so we get insecticide-flavoured crisps, instead, then? Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes
Anna-marie

Bernie66 wrote:
Are they still reportable in this country?


They are indeed. See Dave's link, above.
Bernie66

Anna-marie wrote:
Bernie66 wrote:
Are they still reportable in this country?


They are indeed. See Dave's link, above.


Doh Embarassed
Anna-marie

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home