Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Nick

Thin cow

What would keep a cow looking like a toast rack? She's 18 months old, ish. Never had a calf, isn't in calf, but refuses to put on weight. Has full access to as much food as she likes, grass based. I've not wormed any of them, but there's no sign of worms, as far as I can see.

Do some beasts just never get fat? Any suggestions?

Nothing in her genetic make up points to thinness.

What can I do with her? Not much to go in the freezer, she won't fetch owt in a sale.
Cathryn

I'm channeling himself...there will be a problem. Do you think she might have had worms as a youngster that has damaged her gut? Or some illness? If her gut is damaged in some way then giving her a higher density diet might help but probably not. He suggests a worm dose and a vitamin and mineral drench but in the end if the gut is damaged there is probably not a lot you can do.
Nick

I've no evidence, other than thinness, for any infection. She did, at one point, crush herself trying to escape between two gates, but I can't imagine this would harm her chronically. Acutely, possibly, but not as a lasting thing.

I shall worm. They have plenty of vitamins and minerals.

She's very healthy and alert in herself, just not steaky.

Thanks.
Cathryn

She's just sensible then or has super model tendencies.

Maybe Rob has some ideas.
dpack

i cant add much excep

i was surprised how much the "killer kerry" fetched for burgers considering she wasnt in good condition and having been an "on the run"(in the ira sense rather than a bad tum )for a year she had not been mollycoddled, i think she went for about a pound a kilo live wt after fees.

tis ruthless but if your one does not improve for worming/mineral boost selling her at a cull sale will be better than keeping a sick"pet"until it croaks and costs to dispose of or infests the others

it might be worth worming em all just in case
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Worms, teeth trouble? She didn't damage her face/jaw in the escape or anything?

Presume she's not scouring as you'd have mentioned it?

One nasty thing to scare yourself about would be Johne's
Rob R

Most bases have already been covered above, and assuming she is an anomally a poor start of some kind is my strongest bet. We have a couple of yearlings that went on the run this winter & now look dreadful because they didn't get wormed along with the others at housing.

However, I had a cow that was quite a sorry looking animal up until about her second calf, for no apparent reason, after which she started to put on weight and is now, at 11, one of the bigger cows in the herd, and her calves are always good growers. So, I think some are just late developers and while a ruthless commercial eye would put these out of future breeding, us soppy old farmers who aren't bothered about frivilous things like money can afford to give them a chance to produce the goods.
Nick

She's a nice colour and they cost me nothing to keep. Can I worm her and keep her on that basis, please?

And she has nice horns.

No mouth damage obvious. Her hips got trapped, nowt else, and she wriggled through in a few seconds. No scouring.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

She's a nice colour and they cost me nothing to keep. Can I worm her and keep her on that basis, please?

Only if we get to coo over a pretty picture. Of her. Wink
Nick

Only if we get to coo over a pretty picture. Of her. Wink

I'm in an hotel with only my iPad. I can email a picture you can post, but I cannot post. If this is unacceptable, then you have condemned her to death.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

She lives!

(Is she a Dexter? A red dexter with horns? Good lord, you must be crazy)
Rob R

I would.

But I'm a planet-raper...
Nick

What's wrong with a red dexter with horns? She's as soft as they come. Rob R

Them's not horns, these are horns;

Click to see full size image

(also a softie)
Nick

I only said they were nice. Size isn't everything. Rob R

Bah. My moment to shine, so eloquently put down. Nick

Feh. Whatever.

Let the record show, Rob has a bigger horn than I.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I can forward you an email with a miracle product to help with that! Rob R

Feh. Whatever.

Let the record show, Rob has a bigger horn than I.

And Nat has one bigger than that, or at least it will be when it grows up.
Nick

I can forward you an email with a miracle product to help with that!

You have something to eliminate Yorkshire farmers?
dpack

somewhere i have photos of the highlands ,they were very horny,except tiny who isnt

she does look a nice moo nick ,save her if you can Laughing
Ty Gwyn

If your going to worm,make it a Fluke and Worm,
It may be dry weather now,but we`ve had a wet winter and spring.
RichardW

A local farmer is having a night mare with this at the min.
Nick

If your going to worm,make it a Fluke and Worm,
It may be dry weather now,but we`ve had a wet winter and spring.

Check.
Paul Sill

A local farmer is having a night mare with this at the min.

Unlikely to cause a problem at this age, but any tests won't show it until 2 years or older.
Johnes when it takes hold will kill them pretty quick. They will have poo like water and lose weight very rapidly. It basically thickens the gut wall so no nutrients can enter the animals system.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home