Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Barefoot Andrew

This Amazon cloud auto-rip business

Good innit. I hadn't realised that they were adding past CD purchases until I read this. Sure enough, a few of my CDs have appeared in my cloud player.

Just listening to the North Sea Radio Orchestra's Birds, which includes quite frankly the best version of Personent Hodie ever.
A.
sean

Second best, surely. Wink
Barefoot Andrew

I was wondering how long that would take Wink
A.
JB

I assume the cloud copies use MP3 format which is a second best format. Personally I've gone back to buying and ripping physical CDs. Advantage is that they're often cheaper than a digital download, sound quality can be better, lending is a damn site easier etc. Disadvantage is that there is no automatic cloud copy.

Having said that I use MP3 a lot of the time where I know I will want portability rather than sound quality.
Nicky Colour it green

oh thats handy
bagpuss

I don't know about amazon but itunes match the other cloud based music service automatically upgrades your exisiting mp3s to the highest bitrate version they have available
JB

And I've just had a look at what's available in my cloud player now and promptly discovered some albums that I'd forgotten I'd even bought. It's almost worth it just for that.
Barefoot Andrew

and promptly discovered some albums that I'd forgotten I'd even bought.

Similar here. We're currently listening to Paul Anka doing big band versions of Wonderwall and Smells Like Teen Spirit. Bought as a pressie for my Mum ages ago, now we can listen too.

A.

PS I had an overwhelming compulsion to type "Wonderwool" above Laughing
12Bore

I assume the cloud copies use MP3 format which is a second best format. Personally I've gone back to buying and ripping physical CDs. Advantage is that they're often cheaper than a digital download, sound quality can be better, lending is a damn site easier etc. Disadvantage is that there is no automatic cloud copy.

Having said that I use MP3 a lot of the time where I know I will want portability rather than sound quality.

Third, at best, you forgot analogue vinyl. Wink
bagpuss

I have just seen a suggestion that would be fab which would be if they start doing the same for paper books, give you the ebook for free bagpuss

I have just seen a suggestion that would be fab which would be if they start doing the same for paper books, give you the ebook for free bagpuss

I have just seen a suggestion that would be fab which would be if they start doing the same for paper books, give you the ebook for free sgt.colon

Someone is keen on that idea. Wink

But yes that would be good. Though it might push up the price of paper books, plus Ebooks are VATable so I'm not sure how that would work.
bagpuss

I don't know how vat on "free" things works

I don't see it happening soon but hopefully they are at least looking into it
sgt.colon

I mean I suspect the government would have something to say about it. Ebooks are not a necessity and therefore possibly would not allow them to be given away freely with something that is non-VATable.

Hope that makes sense.
bagpuss

I mean I suspect the government would have something to say about it. Ebooks are not a necessity and therefore possibly would not allow them to be given away freely with something that is non-VATable.

Hope that makes sense.

It presumably depends on the current legislation

If the law already has guidance on free gifts with non vatable items then it might work, if it doesn't then one would assume that there would need to be some sort of test case or committee investigation
sgt.colon

Well we can but keep our fingers crossed. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home