Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
zigs

This Evenings Fishy Foray

Started off well with a Sprat and a Mackerell,

Lovely evening down the bay,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6F04Zrf_g4&feature=feedu

My mate lost his gear so took a few shots of me treading the fine line between fishing & standing on the beach looking like an idiot.

Got a big thump & was very soon into my first beach caught Herring,
pricey

Nice one, biggest I have seen caught on line for a long time.
Kenworth

Wow, I am envious.

The scenery is wonderful. I've never fished directly in the surf, but someday...
Treacodactyl

It looks a good size, what rig did you use? I hope you didn't eat the whole sprat at once. Wink
Bodger

The guy down the road was getting a couple of thousand in his nets up until about ten years ago.

http://www.nefyn.com/Stories/TheLastGreatNefynHerringCatch.aspx
zigs

He was 410mm, legal minimum for Herring is 200mm so yes, a good size.

Caught on normal feathers, there were a few good knocks that I missed & we saw Sardines jumping out of the water, so I guess there other things chasing them that we didn't see.

Thats a hell of a tale there Bodger, sad to think its come down to so little Crying or Very sad
Nick

Re: This Evenings Fishy Foray

Yes, it's very easy catching them at Morrisons...
zigs

Re: This Evenings Fishy Foray

Yes, it's very easy catching them at Morrisons...

I take it you meant to put a few smilies in that post but forgot Nick ?
Nick

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing zigs

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing occasion5 Dabinett

Are you sure that's a herring and not a shad? If it is herring it's a very good size. Kenworth

Well, how were they cooked up? zigs

Well, how were they cooked up?

Big mistake there, I was hungry so just cooked the Herring up as it was.

Big fight with the googleplex of bones, should have cured it and smoked it.
Kenworth

I have never seen a fresh herring. I have only seen them in little jars chunked up with some type of white sauce covering them.

The little guy in the picture looks similar to our Great Lakes Smelt. They are a spring only catch, and are caught in dip nets by wading into Lake Michigan, or into streams that empty into the same lake. Smelt are commonly as long as your hand from longest finger tip to wrist. Clip off the head with scissors, then gut them. Leave on scales they are tiny, and the fins as they are very soft and fry up crispy.

Dredge in flour and spices, and deep fry. Yummy.

I love to fish, btw Smile Smile Smile
zigs

Yes the sprats are a bit like smelts, and cook up the same.

Before they built the new piers down here and extended the beach I used to target the sprats in the evening when the Mackerell were chasing them.

When they are in you can't see the sea bed for them but if you try to catch them in a drop net, they just part as it comes up.

The trick is to keep the net a couple of feet below the water and wait till they are being chased before pulling up.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home