Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Faithmead

This is driving me NUTS...aaarrgghh

I bought two new doggy bed a few weeks back and the cat decided that he rather liked the very squishy one and has almost monopolised it. HOWEVER, he has now decided this is the place to pee in Mad Mad Mad Everytime I wash it, within 48 hours he's been back in it, slept in it, and then at some point pissed in it Twisted Evil He also had a habit of ignoring his litter tray and crapping on the back door mat (give me strength). What can I do/get to put down/spray on them to deter him from doing this? He is about 13 years old now and has always been a 'house' cat.
thanks for any info folks
Pilsbury

One of out 3 decided the place to poop was at. The front door after 11 years of using the litter tray, we tried bicarb, pepper and oil of cloves to keep her away and although she still does it sometimes she is better at finding her tray.
The oil of cloves we tried in desperation and put some on a rag and left it near the door and its,so strong I think it almost burnt the little feline nose so she stayed away.
We have to be careful with an inquisitive 18 month old both on what we put down and keeping it clean.
welsh veg grower

I seem to remember an old aunt spraying zest of orange and white vinegar spray on a rug her cats kept weeing on I guess the citrus is off putting and covers the smell also try biological powder to wash it he prob likes it as it smells of him.
Faithmead

I did wonder about lemon juice....and vinegar is worth a try. Mind you, one thing I forgot to mention is that this cat eats chillies Shocked Shocked so he has the most bizarre taste buds Rolling Eyes
welsh veg grower

I did wonder about lemon juice....and vinegar is worth a try. Mind you, one thing I forgot to mention is that this cat eats chillies Shocked Shocked so he has the most bizarre taste buds Rolling Eyes

Ah well give it a try that or buy cat nappies Rolling Eyes
Midland Spinner

Whatever you use, don't use bleach or anything containing ammonia - the smell of ammonia is like cat wee and just encourages them.

Most cats hate citrus smells so you could try those. Never tried oil of cloves.

My cat likes to pull my clean bath towel off the radiator and sit on that Confused
jamanda

Remind me again why people keep cats?

(Outdoors vermin killing ones I get)
Nell Merionwen

as an owner of three cats. I'm trying to find a reason myself. It must have been temporary insanity. One is a stinky old man, one is a dirty hissy bitch and the other is scratchy bitey!
Pilsbury

BecAuse the wife insisted it would be nice......
Midland Spinner

If you think that people keep cats you've got it all back to front and the answer is therefore in the question.

OH & I are graciously allowed to stay in this house so long as we keep it warm, dry and supplied with sufficient tasty cat food.

OTOH the house was very lonely without a cat. (quiet, clean & tidy as well, but....)
Faithmead

[quote="Midland Spinner:1311464"]
If you think that people keep cats you've got it all back to front and the answer is therefore in the question.

OH & I are graciously allowed to stay in this house so long as we keep it warm, dry and supplied with sufficient tasty cat food.

OTOH the house was very lonely without a cat. (quiet, clean & tidy as well, but....)

laughing3 cat
Faithmead

Not sure what I can use to 'spray' the lemon juice onto the bed Confused BUT I've just remembered that when I was told by a vet to put lemon juice on his back (the cat, not the vet Surprised ) to stop him pulling his fur out..........he sat there and licked it all off Shocked Shocked I guess I should have told him FIRST that he's not supposed to LIKE it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes kirstyfern

Feliway - look on the Ceva page for instructions.
I also wash in NON-BIO Fairy with no fabric conditioner.
Bicarb of soda is best for spot patches (carpets etc).
Could well be the start of dementia :/
Faithmead

Feliway - look on the Ceva page for instructions.
I also wash in NON-BIO Fairy with no fabric conditioner.
Bicarb of soda is best for spot patches (carpets etc).
Could well be the start of dementia :/

Yep - I use non-bio Fairy too. Will check out that Feliway you've mentioned but as for Dementia - yikes, I'd never even thought about that Surprised Good point
chez

I'm having reasonable success with citronella essential oil in solution. Don't miss any corners, though. Faithmead

The more I think about it, the more I do wonder if Kirstyfen is right about the ?? dementia. He poops on the mat right next to his litter tray and when he's peed in this new bed....he squishes over to one side to try and avoid the wet smelly bit ..... as if he doesn't know anything about it ?!

Will try the citronella though and see what happens salute
chez

Good luck - I agree, it does sound like something's not right Sad. Could it be a water infection? Our elderly cat was a repeat sufferer.

We're really struggling with Betty - she keeps pooing under Leo's cabin bed.
Faithmead

Good luck - I agree, it does sound like something's not right Sad. Could it be a water infection? Our elderly cat was a repeat sufferer.

We're really struggling with Betty - she keeps pooing under Leo's cabin bed.

Hmmm....I think maybe a trip to the vets is in order Neutral
Rob R

It's a form of masochism.
wellington womble

Someone once advised a friend to steam clean to get the smell out, but I've no idea if it really works. I'd advise to shut them out out, but I do understand that cats who keep people decline to allow their people to suffer this way ;o) TTouch Homestead

Cannot help on the reasons why, but the only things I have found that do actually remove the smell of urine are

fizzion tablets
bio k20- taylor mclure

Fostering for a dog rescue has its challenges of a bladder/bowel type nature. We have two dogs staying with us who appear to have issues due to age or past treatment and leave liquid and solid morning greetings...the carpets took a hit as did the floor tiles.

The bio k20 works really well. Used it on one of those eye wateringly bad patches that you don't notice till the smell burns your eyeballs as you enter the room.
After spraying it down, it does go through a smells much worse before it gets better phase. I contacted the company and they told me to stick with it, as it showed it was breaking down the urine. Thankfully the smell went in 24 hrs...no stains either.

I have trialled loads of products, used UV lights, you name it and these two are the only ones I keep in my cupboard now. HTH
Faithmead

I don't THINK the beds still smell after I've washed them....in fact they smell lovely Laughing .... so not sure if that's the reason he's still persising. Last night he was snuggled up in the bed fast asleep and then this morning there was a puddle in the middle of it. Could he be incontinent??? welsh veg grower

I don't THINK the beds still smell after I've washed them....in fact they smell lovely Laughing .... so not sure if that's the reason he's still persising. Last night he was snuggled up in the bed fast asleep and then this morning there was a puddle in the middle of it. Could he be incontinent???

Oh dear that does sound like the most possible reason for it rather than marking. Oh poor boy vets trip maybe just to check nothing is wrong.
Faithmead

I don't THINK the beds still smell after I've washed them....in fact they smell lovely Laughing .... so not sure if that's the reason he's still persising. Last night he was snuggled up in the bed fast asleep and then this morning there was a puddle in the middle of it. Could he be incontinent???

Oh dear that does sound like the most possible reason for it rather than marking. Oh poor boy vets trip maybe just to check nothing is wrong.

Actually - rewind Laughing I sniffed it again after this mornings wash....and there was a slight humm of pee Rolling Eyes , so have washed again in pure soap liquid (don't have any bio stuff) and on a longer cycle......but if he does it again, its definately a trip to vet for a check up.....and I'm not actually holding my breath that this wash is going to work but will try. He's fast asleep in the main part of the bed now......as the cushion bit is still in the wash as that was the only part I put down last night Confused Poor old boy.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home