Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
vegplot

This social engineering trick breaking into email accounts

This social engineering trick makes breaking into email accounts scarily easy...

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/06/19/this-social-engineering-trick-makes-breaking-into-email-accounts-scarily-easy/
dpack

clever,i tend to ignore any such requests .if a service goes off i then get pro active to restore it .
vegplot

You could always just ask people for their passwords...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opRMrEfAIiI
dpack

Rolling Eyes

i spose they leave the doorkey under the mat as well Laughing
jema

Nasty but they do need to have your mobile.
dpack

could an auto dialler gather enough mobile numbers to pay for itself?

even with a low hit rate and a moderate gain from each hit i would think it worthwhile if one was so inclined
vegplot

All you need is a honey-pot form and ask for it. I discovered a fake PayPal login site last month (reported and now closed down) which did exactly that. People are conditioned in entering their email and mobile on a form...

Nick

even with a low hit rate and a moderate gain from each hit i would think it worthwhile if one was so inclined

You need the mobile number *and* the email address of the victim. Autodialler won't help, I should think.
Nick

You need the mobile number *and* the email address of the victim. Autodialler won't help, I should think.
Hairyloon

And your email address.
Neither is hard to get hold of, but not so easy to tie the two together... although there are plenty of sites out there that will ask you for them.
dpack

quite a lot of folk have both on their contact details on social media and trade adverts Rolling Eyes Nick

quite a lot of folk have both on their contact details on social media and trade adverts Rolling Eyes

Yep, as with almost all security breaches, human action is the weak point.
dpack

yep the human is usually the weakest link. Behemoth

I think you mean 'organic interface'. dpack

you are borg and i claim my 5 Nick

Dyslexics of Borg, prepare to be ass laminated!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home