Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
OtleyLad

This years Garlic

This is the third crop from my own selected bulbs - I save the biggest from each year's crop to plant in the following October/November.
This year's been a good one:

In comparison the squash leaf on the left is perhaps 15ins across.
Tavascarow

Looking good.
What variety?

Smile
OtleyLad

Looking good.
What variety?

Smile

These started life as Early Purple Wight
Mistress Rose

Good crop Otley Lad. I have had the Wight varieties too. It ought to work for us as we are not too far from the Isle of Wight.
Behemoth

White rot has claimed my crop. Sad
gardening-girl

I bought huge bulbs in a market in Spain last year, planted them in October. Best garlic we have grown. Will be saving some to plant this year.
Mistress Rose

You were lucky they grew so well GG. Sometimes Spanish garlic is rather disappointing in the UK, but as you are in a fairly mild area, you may have been all right. I have grown the Wight varieties and find they work quite well for us.
OtleyLad

You were lucky they grew so well GG. Sometimes Spanish garlic is rather disappointing in the UK, but as you are in a fairly mild area, you may have been all right. I have grown the Wight varieties and find they work quite well for us.

I've grown mine in polytunnels for the last 3 years as really cold/wet winters can rot them off. They do occupy a bed for 7-8 months but then can be followed on by useful summer-sown crops that will give me stuff into the autumn (French Beans, Spinach, etc.).
gardening-girl

Yep, we now grow ours in the tunnel. Great laughter from the ``````````good old boys`, but we had the last laugh when they saw the size of the bulbs. We also feed ours with sulphate of potash. Mistress Rose

Growing in a polytunnel will help a lot. I grow mine outside and the bulbs don't get very big, or taste very strong either. I added wood ash to them one year, but think the sulphate of potash, as recommended, works better. I haven't grown any the last couple of years, as we don't use much and it didn't seem worthwhile.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home