Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Nicky Colour it green

three cornered leek

Just spotted some growing out of the top of the compost heap - anyone know if it is transplantable? I wouldn't mind having it as a permanent fixture - but not in the compost heap. I believe the seeds are spread by ants... I was hoping there was another way?
dpack

best way to find out is eat some and plant the rest Wink
Mithril

I'd risk moving it. But then I'm looking to buy some Very Happy
Treacodactyl

Take care where you plant it, it's very invasive and on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act in England and Wales i.e. don't plant where it can escape into the wild.
Nicky Colour it green

Take care where you plant it, it's very invasive and on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act in England and Wales i.e. don't plant where it can escape into the wild.

hmmm so it is -perhaps better if I dig it up and eat it.
Finsky

I have planted mine under black currant bushes where its growth is kept check.
It will grow in spring and I keep using it....and once the bushes turn green cutting the light out, they will stop growing and disappear till next spring again. Just like nature does it with spring bulbs.. Very Happy Wink

They've been in their current spot for few years now and the clump has barely spread further..give them more room and less challenging 'bed' and they will take over.
Jamanda

It's rampant here. I must have dug up a million bulbs this winter and I still missed some! Some of this was under trees and bushes.
Nicky Colour it green

interesting that I was reading that NT at Greenway are having a fight with it - we went to the beach this afternoon to a NT car park - there was lots there too, right by the newly landscaped path...makes you wonder if it is travelling on NT people.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Hmm. What conditions would keep it healthy-but-contained?
Jamanda

It grows between the cracks between the path and the wall in the park here. It doesn't seem to need much room!
Finsky

Sounds like they don't like competition....and the soil under my currant bushes has plenty of it... Laughing I don't keep those areas weed free...far from it
Laughing

Or..maybe it is because I usually tend to drop pile of mulches on top of them in late spring...never seen single flower from them yet..no seeds.
Where as wild garlic...oh well....that is another story..though they don't get 'blanket' over them.. Rolling Eyes
madcat

It's gone mental on the boat moorings and spread. Some came home with me and has got away in the garden . I'm planning a blitz on it . Very pretty but invasive.
lettucewoman

ah. Always thought that was wild garlic! whoops..... Sad
Nicky Colour it green

now I have started looking for it, have noticed large areas of it by roadsides etc - we have a little dotted around here and there - but not on an invasive scale - so perhaps not the right conditions for it?

sposed to be nice made into a pesto - but I don't have enough to try it
Mithril

So, my plan on buying some for a small / medium garden might not be wise? Embarassed
Finsky

So, my plan on buying some for a small / medium garden might not be wise? Embarassed

Oh don't go and buy any! If you want some..I can dig few up and get you started .... Laughing
If you are unsure....try them in good size container/planter at first..if you get flowers, chop them off so they don't seed all over the place.
Plants themselves are not big and in that wise they would be fine in smaller space. At least when they are in container...they 'should' not spread that easily...issue would be 'only' with seeding.
They would not need any fancy compost neither..just some garden soil and they would be happy.. Very Happy
Mithril

Oh don't go and buy any! If you want some..I can dig few up and get you started .... Laughing
If you are unsure....try them in good size container/planter at first..if you get flowers, chop them off so they don't seed all over the place.
Plants themselves are not big and in that wise they would be fine in smaller space. At least when they are in container...they 'should' not spread that easily...issue would be 'only' with seeding.
They would not need any fancy compost neither..just some garden soil and they would be happy.. Very Happy

That would be super, thank you. Smile
NorthernMonkeyGirl

How do you think they'd like a bright indoor windowsill? Finsky

How do you think they'd like a bright indoor windowsill?

No idea..worth of trying...there is many outdoor bulbs that are grown indoors. You might need to move them to 'rest' outdoors when they are dormant and bring them in again just as they start coming through again. So that they do experience the seasonal changes that tricker its growth cycle.
Finsky

That would be super, thank you. Smile
I think I still have your address from last time...I get them in post after weekend Wink
Mithril

Brilliant, thank you! Very Happy Finsky

Little bit 'whiffy' parcel is on its way... Laughing Mithril

Thank you Laughing evie2

We've got it in the garden, not much, didn't know what it was. OH strimmed it the other week, his idea of gardening Rolling Eyes but flowers have popped up and I've told him it's edible so he wont strim them again. Mithril

Finsky - they have arrived. Thank you Smile madcat

Now the fun starts. I'm trying to do for the stuff here , it hitch hiked from the boat moorings on the roots of something else and is spreading .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home