Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
shadiya

Ticks

Does anyone know a good way of getting ticks of a cat? Hebe has a small one under her chin and it's a bit small for doing the yank and twist thing (that I normally get someone else to do..... Embarassed )
chez

I do yank-and-twist with tweezers even on small ones and it seems to work ok.

Can you try and smother it with vaseline? Or is her chin too hairy?
shadiya

Well, she IS a cat so I 'm pretty sure she's supposed to have a hairy chin... Wink

I don't have any vaseline, what with it being nasty petrochemical stuff, but I have got some Burts Bees hand stuff which is kind of similar I suppose. I might start by trying that as am less than convinced by my tweezer twisting abilities. thanks for the tip Very Happy
chez

I have had to get small ones out of the baby on occasion. Fewer claws than a cat; but the same amount of un-co-operative wrigglyness, I imagine.

Glad to see you around. Even if you do have ticks Smile
arvo

I know the phrase for 'I have a tick in my belly button' in French if that helps at all.
Dogwalker

Can you get tick hooks from a vat/ pet shop near you they are much easier than tweezers.
Midland Spinner

The best sort are called "Pro-tick" and it's a sort of scoop, not tweezers.

Nip to the vet first thing - they usually have some sort of tick remover in stock.

Don't try to pull, twist, grease etc - just makes the tick spit into the wound and makes it worse.
Ty Gwyn

Always used a small pair of pliers,more grip than a tweezers,
If they re a bit stiff coming away,burn their arse with a fag,they soon release their grip.
shadiya

Hmmm, I thought burning them was a no no? I will ask my ex to pop in at the vets, am laid up with a dodgy back and not cycling eight miles for a tick scoop even though I do love the cat.

Chez : my first interview went ok apart from they think it's imperative I fix the flush toilet before we take things any further.... Shocked

I must say I do think it's odd the things normal people get their knickers in a twist about Confused
Treacodactyl

Yes, you should NOT burn or use Vaseline etc. http://bada-uk.org/defence/removal/indextickremoval.php

I use one of those tick twister tools and, so far, they have removed all the ticks we've found ok, the small tool even removed a tiny tick the other day.
Green Rosie

Why should you not use Vaseline? I occasionally get ticks that are too small to remove with even the smaller tick twister and was told to smother them in Vaseline and they would suffocate.
Treacodactyl

Read the link I posted. All the expert advice I've seen states you should only use special tools or tweezers if you have to otherwise the tick can regurgitate it's stomach contents, release saliva or leave mouth parts behind - all of which greatly increase the risk of infections such as Lyme disease. Even using petroleum jelly can stress the tick into releasing fluids.

Here's another link: http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/
shadiya

Thanks for the link Treac, have ordered a pack and in the meantime, Hebe seems to have lost her tick and I'm trying not to think about the fact that it may well have dropped off in my bed.....
AnneL

Yes thanks for the Link I've just bought some as well.
I meant to try and get something last year after we had a few tick problems.

One of our dogs had a real nasty tick under his chin last year, we had a real struggle to remove it. Afterwards he had a bald area for a while where the tick had been removed.
Green Rosie

Thanks for that Treac - I had always thought Vaseline was safe so will use other methods for the little ones in the future.
bio

I've just taken nine ticks of various sizes, three tiny ones, from my ferret using a Mikki Tick Picker from pets at home.

Its made a great job, they all came off alive and crawling, i just had to put a finger on top of the tiny ones as i removed them to stop them slipping through.

Ferret did not complain at all, the best £1.99 i have spent in a while, most useful little tool. Very satisfying pop when bursting the offending ticks made the job even more rewarding Laughing
Gai

My niece who was staying with us asked for tweezers last night. When asked why she replied that one of the dogs had a tick which needed removing. Whilst she was poking at said dogs belly OH decided to have a look. She was trying to remove a nipple Shocked
Went

If anyone knows how we can get one off the cat's ass without it either disappearing in a tight clench or without serious injury to the one who removes.... Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil
earthmamma

Gawber, swaddle the cat tightly in a towel then have a go Laughing
ninat

You need an "O'Tom Tick Remover" you get 2 sizes in the packet so even the small ones can be removed. simply unwind anticlockwise.
Went

You need an "O'Tom Tick Remover" you get 2 sizes in the packet so even the small ones can be removed. simply unwind anticlockwise.

We have tick removers and can usually get them without a problem...but given the location of the tick....
Midland Spinner

I second the swaddling tightly and have someone hold the cat firmly on the floor so it can't get its paws up to fight you.

As for the clenching - can't help there I'm afraid! Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home