Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Ticks!

Found one on the dog, went rummaging for some removal implement, by the time I got back she'd knocked most of it off, with a few bits still stuck under the skin.

I've trimmed the fur around it so I can keep an eye on it, and dolloped a bit of honey on for general healing/anti-bacterial stuff.

Anything else to be done immediately?

My vet doesn't do "sensible opinion over the phone" Mad Rolling Eyes
Woo

I'd be inclined to throw on some iodine if you have any and just keep an eye.
They are horrid. our cat has them most days at the moment. our vet here wont supply the tick and flea stuff for cats, just flea.
The dog gets them rarely as his treatment has the 'tickocide' stuff in.
That said he was treated yesterday and managed to pick one up on his nose. I rubbed some of the oily residue from his neck and it was gone today.
I know we all worry about lyme disease but it is rare. one of my kids had a tiny one on her and she is still in fine fettle!
maybe use some smelly oil on your dog to deter them.
Its what i do with the kids now, almond oil seems to make them think twice, that and a dose of red wine vinegar applied to the bugger makes them get off pretty well. (recommended by an Italian Pharmacist)
OtleyLad

Ticks can carry Lyme disease - very nasty - and it is spreading into areas that never had it before. Our dog had it for 4 years before a vet tested for it Rolling Eyes
Don't want to scaremonger but if doggy starts limping after normal exercise and/or the glands swell up - get him/her checked out for Lyme asap. Don't let it get a hold.

Whoops - someone's mentioned Lyme already - but do watch for symptons (there are others).
dpack

basic first aid /nursing should be fine,any probs see the vet

for next time waspease spray chills and chemically paralyses them so as you can remove them with a simple anticlockwise quarter turn

direction matters and dont squeeze

dont try petrol on the tick on the dogs bo...cks Shocked it works but makes him jump
Rob R

Re: Ticks!

My vet doesn't do "sensible opinion over the phone" Mad Rolling Eyes

Does any vet? I've never heard of any vets that offer a telephone consultancy.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home