Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Annemieke

Time to eat pheasant!

This time of year there is always lots of shooting around us. Most of it is pheasants, and apparently the surplus sometimes ends up being buried. In Holland, where I came from, pheasant was a great luxury so this has always amazed me.
Now is the moment to buy game; you can always freeze it if you don't want it straight away. Rabbit of course can be shot all year round and is cheap - and very healthy. Both rabbits and game birds are far better for you (and nicer!) than any so-called 'free-range' chicken from the shops.
For recipes, see for instance:www.gametoeat.co.uk/
http://www.ruralsports.co.uk/recipe-ideas-category.html
www.chanctonburygame.co.uk
VM

I've had very nice pheasant and partridge this year, from the freezer. Got it from the lovely Woodlands Organic Farm - www.woodlandsfarm.co.uk who supply veg boxes and lots of other stuff, near Boston.

I have in the past felt under-confident about cooking game but last few times I've cooked it, has been delicious, though I say so myself!
Annemieke

It's nice to try new things, especially if they are successful!
Love, AW.
Finsky

We had season first ones last nights dinner Very Happy
And very nice it was too...unfortunately our birds were bit battered so had to selectively chop all the best bits. Made pot of pheasant korma...YUM!
Very Happy
All the 'trimmings' I boiled with some chopped carrots for the dog..and she loves it. Usually she is very picky eater and I have to really 'tease' and encourage her to tuck in, but given some warm pheasant and carrots and soaking all the cooking water into dog biccies and now she can't wait until next meal. This morning I found her sitting next to her bowl, waiting for me to serve her rumbling tummy.. Laughing
LynneA

We had partridge on Sunday.

And Sheba had some on Tuesday morning. She very carefully removed the carcasses fron the bin and unwrapped them, without making a sound or a mess.

When caught, she had that "Well, you didn't want them" look on her face Laughing
perlogalism

We do pretty well on the game front too:

This was my garage just before Christmas last year. We have a friend who's a beater and he just brings us what ever the shoot would otherwise discard. Crazy isn't it? From our point of view it's effectively free, the only thing we like to do is to provide a couple of large Game Pies to the shoot each year.

Now, all I need to do is get the same sort of arrangement for Venison.... Wink
OtleyLad

We got 3 (prepared) pheasants from the local farmer's market last sunday - 3 for £10, same price as last year. Great value.
Lorrainelovesplants

The butcher in Wadebridge is £6.50 for a brace of pheasants.

Im wanting 2 pheasants and 2 partridge for Christmas dinner.
dpack

the roadkill rate goes up as well cos the escapees potter about in the wrong places
perlogalism

Im wanting 2 pheasants and 2 partridge for Christmas dinner.

Shame you don't live closer to me then Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

Can you post them? Laughing
robkb

We got 3 (prepared) pheasants from the local farmer's market last sunday - 3 for £10, same price as last year. Great value.

That's what I pay in That London, so much for regional differences Wink

Hmm, it's gone up - it's now 3 for £12. B'stards Sad
Mistress Rose

The main road kill season is after the shooting season I find. At present they are a bit jumpy and run. Those that survive the shooting are too full of themselves for being so clever, and also the cock pheasants are keen to show the hens how brave they are. Sadly, they always lose against a car. Very Happy vegplot

That's what I pay in That London, so much for regional differences Wink

Hmm, it's gone up - it's now 3 for £12. B'stards Sad

You sure that's not city pigeon? Wink
Lorrainelovesplants

Have now got my 2 pheasant and 2 partridge. Im 'doing' the pheasant today, the partridges are already done. God they are small!

Apparently, Ive to look forward to some more pheasant from Colin, my kind friend.
Treacodactyl

Picked up locally 4 pheasants, 4 mallard and two woodcock all in the feather for about £10 the lot. Took a little while to work through them but I now have some more material for making mackerel feathers and flies.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home