Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
sean

Tip run, yayyy

The nice man at the recycling centre only charged us seventeen quid for our rubble and plasterboard.
And we got three Dartington Crystal tumblers and a cast iron frying pan for 2.50 the lot. Very Happy
Jamanda

I was very tempted by a very nice big teapot too - but it was too big for us.
Treacodactyl

I've yet to sample the delights of the local recycling center. Do you still get a confusing number of allowances or do you just pay for what the council isn't obliged to take?
sean

The one near us (dunno if you've a closer one) just charges for rubble, plaster/board, asbestos and tyres I think. As far as I can tell it's down to their skill and judgement to decide whether you're 'trade' or not. They've always been very helpful and reasonable in my dealings with them, I was expecting to be charged 25ish for the amount of stuff we had.
Treacodactyl

Oh, it seems to be even more confusing than I thought, strangely it seems each tip has different prices.

The bit that's puzzled me is the x number of bags in y months rules - how do they keep track?

And then what's included, it says a modest DIY jobber can take 12 sacks of waste material in a 6 month period, but that doesn't include rubble which is chargeable so what does it actually include?
arvo

I'm confused as all hell too.

I thought you *could* take rubble as they just used it as building hardcore (and therefore didn't need to pay for it to go into landfill).

I feel sorry for builders, the new rules that have come in about industrial waste are applied to any waste they've still got in skips. It must cost them a fortune.

Not sure what the solution really is; I recognise that there's only a limited amount of landfill and landfill is the least good of all solutions but it is battering the building industry at a particularly low point.
onemanband

I don't know current policy at my local household recycling center as I don't use it - I don't generate much household waste and it's a pain in the arse asking permission to enter in my truck and then negotiate the 90' corners in the public entrance.

Hardcore should be cheap to dispose - I pay between 0 and 20 to dispose of a 1.5ton load of hardcore direct to crushing facility. Hardcore can still go to landfill at a reduced rate as it is used as capping/temporary roads.

Plasterboard cannot now go to landfill. As I understand it new pb offcuts must be recycled. Used 'contaminated' pb can still go to landfill. For large building contracts you can get pb only skips. For the small builder - I don't know . I don't generate many pb offcuts and the odd bit I have just goes to transfer station in the rest of stuff I can't recycle.

I think all household landfill waste should be charged for.
For example .......
One person may employ a kitchen fitter - that kitchen fitter will charge say 150 waste disposal.
Somebody else may fit their kitchen themselves and take their waste to council site. That waste goes to landfill. Council has handling and transport costs, landfill operators charges and landfill tax (64/ton). I guess that same kitchen would still cost council 100 to dispose. I suppose the landfill tax goes back into govt coffers but there is still a cost.

Why should my council tax/income tax/or wherever it comes from, pay for somebody else's consumerism ? If you can afford a new sofa / kitchen / bathroom, you can pay to dispose of the old one yourself.

I've said the above on here before - but when you pay over 150/ton to dispose of waste it doesn't seem fair when DIYers / householders dispose of the same waste (sometimes left by their builders ) for no cost.
Jamanda

We only had a small amount of plaster board, but it went into its own skip.
Nicky Colour it green

our recycling centre wont take plasterboard at all.
mochyn

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with plaseterboard? I have a small quantity of bits that will need to go soon.
Treacodactyl

What's stopping you breaking plasterboard up, putting it in a sack and sticking it out for the dustman?

Obviously it's good to be able to recycle it if you can but I can't seem to track down a list of stuff you can or can't put out for the dustman provided it's in a suitable sack.
vegplot

Re: Tip run, yayyy

The nice man at the recycling centre only charged us seventeen quid for our rubble and plasterboard.
And we got three Dartington Crystal tumblers and a cast iron frying pan for 2.50 the lot. Very Happy

Sounds like a petrol station promotion.
Nicky Colour it green

What's stopping you breaking plasterboard up, putting it in a sack and sticking it out for the dustman?

Obviously it's good to be able to recycle it if you can but I can't seem to track down a list of stuff you can or can't put out for the dustman provided it's in a suitable sack.

nothing - that's where it went.
Treacodactyl

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with plaseterboard? I have a small quantity of bits that will need to go soon.

Quote:
Gypsum, when mixed with biodegradable waste, can produce hydrogen sulphide gas in landfill which is both toxic and odorous.

From: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/waste/32148.aspx
jema

When did plasterboard change? and what's the big deal with it?

Have not noticed any charges at our recycling centre apart from for fridges etc.
mochyn

Thanks for thta, Treac. The biggest bits will be going on Freegle, but there will be bits that are useless. Better talk to the council, I suppose. Nicky Colour it green

I'm only talking about the debris created when Mr Cig fell through the ceiling...

Rolling Eyes

problem is if the recycling centres make things too arduous or expensive then there will be more fly tipping etc.
vegplot

Quote:
Gypsum, when mixed with biodegradable waste, can produce hydrogen sulphide gas in landfill which is both toxic and odorous.

From: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/waste/32148.aspx

Show me landfill that isn't odorous or doesn't produce hydrogen sulphide.
onemanband

And I am sure I read somewhere that it uses less energy and pollution to recycle pb rather than making fresh pb. Treacodactyl

I'm only talking about the debris created when Mr Cig fell through the ceiling...

I would do the same. The tip I used to use had a large sign up stating it did not take gypsum products but it happily took commercial plasters waste by the bucket load!

Being pragmatic, any fair sized chunks new plasterboard I would try and recycle, any small bits and bobs from general DIY would get put out with the rest of our rubbish unless the council advise me differently.
Luath

Our tip is run by the council, but the recycling itself is by a private company; there is a separate skip for plasterboard, but as far as I gather it's to stop folk putting it into the hardcore/rubble skip. I' m not sure if the plasterboard goes for recycling or is otherwise disposed of.
For rubble, we're allowed to dump so many bags over a certan period of time in the skip, and after that it's deemed commercial and you have to pay/have a certificate etc.

Our tip is my favourite 'shopping experience' Cool Laughing
arvo

And I am sure I read somewhere that it uses less energy and pollution to recycle pb rather than making fresh pb.

I think you're right. The gypsum can be ground up again and reformed and its easier and possibly cheaper too, than digging it up.
foggy

Had loads of great stuff from the recycling centre over the years, from tables to a wee purple tractor for the little boy.

Passed through the other day & they'd emptied the sale area. Whether it's because of all the recent rain (it's a huge outside re-sale area, with a small indoors bit for clothes/furniture) or they're having a clear out I don't know.

Cig - you'll have been there - the Newton Abbot one.
Nicky Colour it green

Had loads of great stuff from the recycling centre over the years, from tables to a wee purple tractor for the little boy.

Passed through the other day & they'd emptied the sale area. Whether it's because of all the recent rain (it's a huge outside re-sale area, with a small indoors bit for clothes/furniture) or they're having a clear out I don't know.

Cig - you'll have been there - the Newton Abbot one.

Toby's is gone from Newton too - i love a reclaim yard me....
foggy

They have a little area in Fermoy's. Shockingly dear, however.

Ever been to Steptoe's in Exeter?
Nicky Colour it green

They have a little area in Fermoy's. Shockingly dear, however.

Ever been to Steptoe's in Exeter?

yeh Smile more my budget - Tobys in Exeter are still going, but it seems more made things and fancy high priced stuff then things I could afford. seems sad that it is a lot cheaper to buy a new pine door (for example) than a second hand one.

having said that they had this big old cast iron bread oven that was so tempting... just need to remodel entire house.....
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Array Home