Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Northern Boy

Tips from a commercial mushroom hunter

Was doing some 'keyboard foraging' and came across this. Thought some of you might like it. It's from California but is relevant here I think.

http://www.fungaljungal.org/orgfiles/CHANTY.html
tai haku

read in Stamets that the chap who wrote Dune used to pour all his chanterelle cleanings under a couple of pines in his garden; now aforementioned Dune chappy doesn't have to bother with going out foraging he just wanders out to his pines for chanterelles.

All my mushroom debris (there isn't much) gets placed somewhere I feel might be suitable as a result.
Treacodactyl

Interesting but doesn't things like "Soil compaction: Apart from suicidal methods like raking, I believe soil compaction to be the biggest human danger to mushroom habitat. 90 percent of the time in chanterelle turf" suggest if you want things like fungi to flourish you should limit people into woods?

I'll remember to fill in and pat down holes in future, I think I do most of the other things.
jema

I can't say I have ever seen hoards of people actually off a main trail in any woods at any time, for that matter you rarely see that many people at all.
So I really doubt that compaction is a big issue in general.

The tips though seem excellent, and common sense.
bubble

I can't say I have ever seen hoards of people actually off a main trail in any woods at any time, for that matter you rarely see that many people at all.

The tips though seem excellent, and common sense.

compaction is a big problem in'' paintball game'' woods
Treacodactyl

I initially thought something similar. I have been in some woods that have virtually no life on then floor due to the amount of people using them, but they have tended to be small and near large populations.

But thinking about it, even some large remote woodlands still have signs of quite heavy use over the years. And if you look at it another way, some places seem to be quite devoid of many fungi and perhaps that's an indication of over compaction along with other factors?

It's not just down to feet though, if you look at the damage done by commercial forestry for example it's little wonder fungi might struggle. Sadly something I don't think the forestry review will tackle either.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home