Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Green Rosie

Today's harvest - Nov 2nd

Today from my garden I picked a large bowl of raspberries, the last of the courgettes and 2 strawberries!

From the polytunnel I got 3/4 of a bucketful of spuds, a basket of tomatoes, a trayful of chillies, 4 green peppers and about 12 small butternut squashes that went in really late and I thought ould come to nothing. Very Happy
sean

I've dug a load of jerusalem artichokes this afternoon.
Green Rosie

I've dug a load of jerusalem artichokes this afternoon.

puke_r
You can keep those Laughing
Treacodactyl

It's been a little strange here for the last few weeks. Today, for example, the bees are still flying and taking in pollen, butterflies are still courting, there's caterpillars still about and many trees are still rather green. Feels more like September than November. Looking ahead it's going to finally get colder later in the week.
Shan

I have about 300 ripe peppers in the greenhouse and a mental block about doing anything about them... Shocked
dpack

I have about 300 ripe peppers in the greenhouse and a mental block about doing anything about them... Shocked

stuff one each with saffron rice as a side dish and swap the rest of em for gin in the local shop?
Mistress Rose

It has started to turn colder here, although not very cold. Shan

stuff one each with saffron rice as a side dish and swap the rest of em for gin in the local shop?

It's the doing of anything that's providing the problem... I open the greenhouse door... look at the peppers... close the greenhouse door... ignore the peppers... and all the time they are yelling in pepper language that I'm a terrible pepper something something whatever person...
chickenlady

Laughing

Goodness knows what my shivering basils are calling me.
Slim

It's the doing of anything that's providing the problem... I open the greenhouse door... look at the peppers... close the greenhouse door... ignore the peppers... and all the time they are yelling in pepper language that I'm a terrible pepper something something whatever person...

Do you have freezer space? Coring and slicing won't take tooooooo long, and then that's it. (Heretical expletive I love how easy it is to freeze peppers, why must everything else need blanching?)
gregotyn

No need to blanch runner beans, Slim-well I never did. Slim

No need to blanch runner beans, Slim-well I never did.

Fantastic! I just googled around, and found the usual advice to blanch, but several other posts where people prefer unblanched frozen beans. Glad to add another veg to the list of easy freezing! Very Happy
dpack

tomatoes for sauces need no blanching, just divide whole ones into pan sized portions and freeze. throw em in the pan frozen and there isnt even any chopping as they "fall" naturally.

thinking of tomatoes the last 10 kg of bigboys and about 5kg of randoms got harvested this week. bigboys ripen indoors rather well if they have got to the slightly yellow green stage.
Mistress Rose

I find runner beans are pretty poor frozen whichever way I do them. I have tried blanching/not blanching, cutting in chunks or long slivers, but they don't seem to keep their flavour for more than a couple of months whatever I do.

I am still waiting for my quinces to come down to me, but managed to find a couple of quite good bunches of grapes; one for MIL and one for us.
Shan

Do you have freezer space? Coring and slicing won't take tooooooo long, and then that's it. (Heretical expletive I love how easy it is to freeze peppers, why must everything else need blanching?)

Thanks, I'll give it a go..... when I'm finished procrastinating...
Shan

Dug up some Jerusalem artichokes yesterday and baked them in thee wood burner with butter last night...yummmmmmmmmmmmmm dpack

rosemary and thyme (not the gay gardening sleuths)

and 12 ltrs of apple juice from ancient trees which should start bubbling quite soon Beer
Mistress Rose

4 more quinces and a bunch of grapes from the greenhouse. The frost has done for the runner beans, so the half dozen or so we have had is the lot now. Green Rosie

I find runner beans are pretty poor frozen whichever way I do them. I have tried blanching/not blanching, cutting in chunks or long slivers, but they don't seem to keep their flavour for more than a couple of months whatever I do.

Try cooking them the way I have written about here - http://eco-gites.blogspot.fr/2015/08/the-best-way-to-freeze-beans.html
Green Rosie

Yesterday I picked the last of the tomatoes for green tomato chutney as well as half my chillies. Mistress Rose

Not enough beans to do anything with this year. Just had the few that arrived in the normal way, which is cut diagonally across and simmered for a few minutes in water. Shan

Some bastard rodent is eating my beetroot, so I guess I am going to have to harvest the lot and do something about them. Treacodactyl

Bake, skin and put in vinegar - pickeled b*stard rodent! Shan

Got to catch them first! dpack

Fenn number 4 in a tunnel box baited with peanut butter Wink

be careful, those things can break a finger Embarassed
Shan

Do you know how likely I am to break a finger? It's almost a given!!!! I think I will have to put up with the damn rodents! Shocked gregotyn

However much I don't like rodenticides I use them when I have to. But I am currently curbing the mice that have come in with traps and will be setting one or two larger traps to check if there any rats about. The local council do for rats as well I am told so worth getting in touch. Mistress Rose

You could always use a live trap Shan. They don't spring hard enough to break a finger. You have to transport rodent at least a couple of miles though. gregotyn

Bit unfair passing the problem to a. n. other MR., unless of course a. n. other does the same back-spreading the genes around! I have a theory that the only good rodent is a dead rodent.
You won't break a finger if you hold it at the other end, Shan, though I must admit it is a bit of a surprise when it goes off when you least expect it.
gregotyn

3 down so far, millions of mice to go! dpack

Do you know how likely I am to break a finger? It's almost a given!!!! I think I will have to put up with the damn rodents! Shocked

fenn 4 is a bit big for mice Laughing they are suitable for rat, stoat etc ( and probably anything up to mink if you lay them right for a head grab) ,the domestic mouse sized stuff wont break most fingers, the bigger rat sized ones can be a bit nasty if you are not careful.

with the "little nipper"type i hold the sprung bar from behind and gently push down and wiggle it a bit until you get a very fine set, polishing the lever and hasp with 1200 gt emery paper makes for a smooth action and screwing the trap to a board makes handling easier and safer.,treadle up to an edge so it can be placed up to a wall or whatever.
wellington womble

I think I have a stoat. Honestly, the back to nature lifestyle is all very well, but I never expected so much wildlife. I have never in my entire (fairly countrified) life knowingly encountered a stoat for heavens sake. But as soon as I get some quail, the poor things get their heads eaten off.

On the plus side, the remains of the quail proved effective in baiting the fox trap. Wildlife 1 - WW 1. Even for now (except that is fox no 4. How many of those are there going to be for goodness sake?!)
Mistress Rose

Wildlife is great in its place, which isn't in the house or garden. We occasionally get mice in the house, so have to evict them and find where they are coming in. We had trouble with rats for a while round our yard, so were very careful about getting rid of all food waste including any wrappers and had to use poison I'm afraid. Not a thing I like, but has to be done sometimes.

I have seen a stoat in the woods, and our 'lad' saw one playing in the sawdust heap one morning. Husband recently sprained his ankle fairly badly by jumping down from the tractor into a scrape the badgers had dug looking for grubs. He didn't get much sympathy as he had partly filled in the scrape and keeps forgetting he his now 67, so perhaps behaving like a 20 year old isn't wise. (I have been very good about listening to his moans about how it hurts and making sure he has crepe bandage to put round it.)
gregotyn

3 more mice have flung themselves onto mouse traps since I last posted! dpack

i'm fairly adventurous with dinner but i donít think mice or foxes count as harvest Laughing

re fox 4 ,there will be a steady supply of them looking for a chicken dinner and re mice 3 in a short time makes me think you have "plenty" so keep at it is best policy with both .
gregotyn

Traps reset as soon as contents unloaded, and will be investing in 2 more as backup. They are a harvest, dpack, used as fuel! I do wish they would go with their eyes closed though!
I agree that I probably have plenty of reserves waiting to replenish the current front line.
Mistress Rose

Going back to actual harvest and forgetting the mice, I got the last 2 quinces that deigned to come down last week. Also got a couple of apples I could reach and a bunch or grapes from the greenhouse. The birds seem to have been at the apples left on the tree, and I can't reach them, so unless they fall, the birds will be finishing them off I am afraid. Green Rosie

This week I have harvested from the polytunnel and outside:

Lambs lettuce, mibuna, turnips, savoy cabbage, red cabbage, leeks and I even dug up some errant spuds I found!
Shan

Well done.

I need to have a 2nd go at the kale, swiss chard and the beetroot.
Shan

Oh and the jerusalem artichoke
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home