Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
tai haku

tomatillo seed

I'm in the process of planning next year's veg garden (ah the sweet sweet smell of freshly printed seed catalogues) and am wanting to take my mexican cooking obsession to the next level by mass producing tomatillos.

I was planning to order Real Seeds' "Dr Wyche's Yellow" but it was only when my order arrived this week that I realised it'd already sold out.

The reason for my post is two-fold:
1. Does anyone have particularly positive (or negative) experiences with any other variety/seed supplier's strain? and
2. More cheekily I understand these things supposedly self-seed like no-bodies business - does anyone have self-saved seed of a strain they like which they would be willing to share/swap for some interesting chilli seeds?
DorsetScott

Re: tomatillo seed

2. More cheekily I understand these things supposedly self-seed like no-bodies business - does anyone have self-saved seed of a strain they like which they would be willing to share/swap for some interesting chilli seeds?

Tai, I have a few seeds of physalis philadelphica I can happily put in the post for you if you PM me your address. Haven't grown them yet so can't personally comment on them but a neighbouring plot holder at my allotment grew them and had great success
sgt.colon

Just on a side note and not related to your Tomatillo's, I have a few chilli seeds you can have Tai. I couldn't even get them to germinate and I wouldn't want them to go to waste.
robkb

I tried to grow Physalis Peruviana from Sutton's James Wong range this year. Germination was rubbish, and those that did germinate popped their clogs long before they ever fruited Sad
tai haku

hi all - thanks for the replies. It seems I had not fully exhausted my seed catalogues; managed to track down the variety I was after (Dr Wyche's) and another one I was interested in (de milpa) from Nicky's Nursery at an exceedingly fair price. Will let everyone know how they perform.

Sarge - thanks for the chilli offer but to be honest I'm already drowning in chilli seeds for different varieties I want to grow each year at the moment - if anyone wants any let me know Very Happy
Luath

Have grown both the green and purple tomatillos in the past; easy to grow, prolific, good fun. I preferred the taste of the purple ones, good to eat raw and in cooking. Can recommend Nicky's Nursery; try Thomas Etty esquire too; might pop up on e-bay, I've had some great seeds from there
chickenann

I grew some this year, they took up a lot of space but once they got going were very easy to care for and prolific. Think they are Suttons, marketed as James Wong. Wouldn't bother with them again as they are just so big. If you want the left over seed, then just PM me.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home