Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
chickenlady

Tomatillos.

The tomatillos have grown really well in the garden and extremely exuberantly in the greenhouse (escaping out of the door and through the skylight). I've just picked the first one and tried it raw - tastes like lemony cucumber. Never grown these before - I'm going to have so many that I'll have to search out some easy recipes.
pollyanna

They freeze well.
Shan

They are good for salsas.
Green Rosie

If you have more than you can deal with do not put them on the compost heap - years later I still have them popping up everywhere Rolling Eyes
chickenlady

Thank you for the tip about not putting them on the compost heap. Also, didn't know that you could freeze them - thank you.

We've been eating them raw at the moment, as they're ripening only one at a time so far.

Waiting for the glut so I can make some salsa.

Very Happy
Hairyloon

If you have more than you can deal with do not put them on the compost heap - years later I still have them popping up everywhere Rolling Eyes

Sounds like the kind of invasive weeds that I approve of. Can they knock nasturtiums off the top slot? Friend's plot is totally overrun with them...
Shan

They take on a life of their own!
chickenlady

They take on a life of their own!

You're right about that! Bloomin' things have taken over the greenhouse and also have gone mental in the raised bed. Can't see any of the other poor little veg plants trying to grow - the tomatillos have smothered everything. I just hope I like Salsa when/if I ever get round to making any.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home