- 1.3-1.6Kg ripe tomatoes
- 400ml chicken or veg stock
- 45ml / 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée.
- 30-45ml / 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- 2-3 tsp sugar.
- small handful of fresh basil, plus extra to garnish.
- crème fraîche.
- Plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in cold. Peel off the skins and quarter the tomatoes.
- Put them in a large pan and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 10 mins until the tomatoes are pulpy.
- Stir in the tomato purée, vinegar, sugar and basil. Season with s&p, then cook gently, stirring, for 2 mins.
- Process the soup in a blender, then return reheat gently.
- Served topped with croutons, a spoonful of crème fraîche, and garnished with basil leaves.
Use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the base if each tomato before plunging into the boiling water. The skin will then peel back easily from the crosses.
That's what the recipe says anyway. I didn't bother with skins removal; I just quartered the toms and went straight to step 2.