Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Green Rosie

Tomato varieties reviewed

I've just blogged about the 11 varieties of tomato I grew in the polytunnel this year:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Tomatoes!

What has been good and bad for you this year?
OtleyLad

We went for traditional varieties this year and have been really pleased - here they are in order of tastiness (less to more):

Moneymaker - lots of large fruit - reasonable taste.
Beefmaster F1 (very similar to your Potiron Écarlate) - a few very large fruits - reasonable taste.
Gardeners Delight - lots and lots of small fruit - very tasty.
Tumbling Toms - lots and lots and lots of small fruit - even tastier (this has been a surprising success - especially as they've been grown outside)
Golden Crown - moderate amounts of small/medium yellow fruit - the tastiest.

Green Zebra - the verdict is out as they are yet to ripen

Of course each season is so different from the next that what does well one year may struggle the next - but i'll be growing Gardeners Delight, Tumbling Toms and Golden Crown next year for sure.
Nicky cigreen

I grew just two varieties this year

sweet olive - which is my favourite cherry tomato of all time.
and gardeners delight as they are prolific and make good roast tomato passata

18 plants in total, and overwhelmed with tomatoes at the mo
Green Rosie

Make sure they are not already ripe - they are still very green when ready but a gentle squeeze and tug will tell you if they are ready or not.
Calli

We grew Tigerella and will definately grow again. They flourished better in one location so will hopefully remember that. Marmande were poor in the situation allocated - will change that next year. The best crops were the golden cherry - tons and tons of them.

Harvest has been pretty good this year!

http://www.exile-in-galway.com/
Bodger

This year we've grown some of those 'Black Russians' that someone on here recommended at the beginning of the season. They don't keep well and soon go past their best but they are one of the tastiest tomatoes that I've ever grown. If we can find them next year, then we'll grow them again.
OtleyLad

Make sure they are not already ripe - they are still very green when ready but a gentle squeeze and tug will tell you if they are ready or not.

I did try them but they are still not ripe Rolling Eyes
Green Rosie

This year we've grown some of those 'Black Russians' that someone on here recommended at the beginning of the season. They don't keep well and soon go past their best but they are one of the tastiest tomatoes that I've ever grown. If we can find them next year, then we'll grow them again.

If you are stuck finding seeds let me know Bodger and I can send you some over. They are a bit pricey but soooooo tasty!
Bodger

Apart from the Black Russians, I've grown five other varieties too. Just one of each mind and they've all been very different taste wise. Some have performed better than others but my well laid plans have gone to cock, mainly because the labels that I so carefully placed by the side of them when I planted have all been lost. The one that I wont be planting again, is the plum tomato, because to my mind the fruits have proven to be quite tasteless.Embarassed Lloyd

This year, as my needs are reduced due to being single, I only bought four plants for hanging baskets. I bought them from Suttons Seeds, two Firecrackers and two Hunderds and Thousands.

The latter certainly live up to their name, I have had to reinforce the bracket they hang from. Some are tiny explosions of flavour, perfect for poncing up a meal, others are of the standard cherry variety, but every bit as tasty. The quantities are astonishing!!

The Firecrackers are a bit later coming on, but firm and tasty, with an interesting appearance being mottled red and yellow. They tend to get sliced into sandwiches for my lunchbox.

All in all, very happy with both varieties this year. Very Happy
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Harbinger in the greenhouse - decent size, ripening now, but disappointingly tasteless/pappy.
Tumbling tom on the windowsill - only a handful of fruit.
I've now sown some Tiny Tim on the windowsill, they claim to grow with less light and at any time of year (as a houseplant). Worth a shot!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home