Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
NannyP

Too hot to garden

In the sun it's 48.7C this afternoon...far too hot to be outdoors. Will have to wait until after 8pm to do any more planting Shocked Neutral
tahir

Blinking nora, couldn't be doing with that Shocked Shocked
Northern_Lad

tahir wrote:
Blinking nora, couldn't be doing with that Shocked Shocked

No, blinking NannyP, I don't think 48C is though possible where Nora lives.

What is it in the shade? Thermometers over here would have happily hit 60 two weeks ago, but only been 27/28 in the shade.
NannyP

The thermometer is digital, and as my husband pointed out, it was in a very specific place. Up against the front wall of our south facing house.
The normal mercury thermometer in the shade at the back on the wall was showing 30C.

Very Happy
Just Jane

30C in the shade here too - and I just had 12 steres of firewood delivered for the winter!!!
marigold

It's lovely here - 18degC according to the BBC weather site (though I'm sure my garden is warmer than that!) and with a nice fresh breeze off the sea.
sean

Keeps raining here.
marigold

We had a lot of rain yesterday and more expected, but today is goooood Very Happy .
dougal

NannyP wrote:
In the sun it's 48.7C this afternoon...

The thermometer is digital, and as my husband pointed out, it was in a very specific place. Up against the front wall of our south facing house.
The normal mercury thermometer in the shade at the back on the wall was showing 30C.

Accepted that it was very *hot*, but thermometers "in the sun" don't tell you much. A shiny probe would give a very different reading to a matt black one!

The usual temperature quoted by meteorologists and weather forecasters is the *air* temperature - which is measured in the shade, (for official purposes inside a standardised, white painted, louvre-sided box called a "Stevenson screen"). It even needs to be mounted a standard height above the ground... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen

There must have been about 5cm of rain here last night, (most of it falling in two half hour deluges), but its been really lovely today.
(And no, I don't have a standardised rain guage... Very Happy)
NannyP

I only use it as a guide...it interests me to see how hot it is when I feel it is hot etc. I also use it in the incubator when I'm hatching eggs...it's worked well so far.

It's now 15C Shocked and Midsummers Day Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
NannyP

sean wrote:
Keeps raining here.

Whereabouts in North Devon are you Sean.
We moved here from Great Torrington last July.
NannyP

Just Jane wrote:
30C in the shade here too - and I just had 12 steres of firewood delivered for the winter!!!
Shocked Shocked
You must be all wood burning.......we have oil central heating and a fire...so will only have 3 steres (I think) Confused
sean

Great Torrington. Very Happy
NannyP

Laughing Laughing Laughing Whereabouts?
sean

The posh end of course. Near the Commons on the road out to Bideford.
NannyP

Ah good....for a moment I wondered whether I was talking to another Sean Shocked

We lived at the bottom of Mill Street, on the South side.
sean

Handier for the pub than we are then.
NannyP

Oh yes, not much a walk for us, and a little walk up 150 yds, on the way home, was just enough exercise Laughing Laughing
Just Jane

NannyP wrote:
Just Jane wrote:
Shocked Shocked
You must be all wood burning.......we have oil central heating and a fire...so will only have 3 steres (I think) Confused

Pretty much so - only put the underfloor (electric) on if it gets really cold. Am hoping the wood will more than do the winter - used 10 last year but then it was mild

Wednesday/Thursday we had a couple of massive storms with at times torrential rain (water couldn't get down the downpipe quick enogh & we have the 100mm guttering here) & temperature dropped about 10 degrees - luckily no flooding
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home