Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
vegplot

Top 10 apps from Download.com

This is a somewhat anecdotal tongue in cheek look at what happens when attempting to install the top 10 free apps from Download.com.

Unpleasant things can happen.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/?PageSpeed=noscript

I've not tried to repeat the experiment but after recently installing a free screen capture app (I took the precaution of using a clean up-to-date sacrificial machine, fortunately) I ended up with a machine with so many problems it needed a complete re-install. And that was just one app.

To summarise the report...

Quote:

And it doesnít matter which antivirus you have installed ó weíve actually done this experiment a number of times with different antivirus vendors, and most of them completely ignored all of the bundled crapware. Avast did a pretty good job this time compared to some of the other vendors, but it didnít block all of it for sure.

There are also no safe freeware download sitesÖ because as you can clearly see in the screenshots in this article, it isnít just CNET Downloads that is doing the bundlingÖ itís EVERYBODY. The freeware authors are bundling crapware, and then lousy download sources are bundling even more on top of it. Itís a cavalcade of crapware.

Each time we ran through this experiment over the last few months, different software would end up being bundled in a rotation, but every single software that bundles itself ends up bundling the same culprits: browser hijackers that redirect your search engine, home page, and put extra ads everywhere.

Because when the product is free the real product is YOU.
Nick

Re: Top 10 apps from Download.com

Quote:

Because when the product is free the real product is YOU.

When people understand this, Facebook will collapse.
sgt.colon

If it's free it's not for me, is my ethos.

Facebook makes me laugh as it usual has stuff down the side adverts, advertising stuff I've already bought. They need to smarten up.
Nick

Downsizer is free.
tahir

Downsizer is free.

That's more than Tooting ever achieved
henchard

but after recently installing a free screen capture app

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 it has a screen capture tool built in to the OS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool
sgt.colon

Downsizer is free.

Well yes, quite. I stand corrected but let's not be pedantic. Razz
vegplot

but after recently installing a free screen capture app

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 it has a screen capture tool built in to the OS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

I wanted video at the time. Something that was quick to install use once then throw away.
dpack

Downsizer is free.

i lived in tooting for 12 yrs ,bits of it were quite free Laughing
sgt.colon

Downsizer is free.

i lived in tooting for 12 yrs ,bits of it were quite free Laughing

Are you Wolfie Smith? Very Happy
dpack

no Laughing dpack

with regard to freedom in tooting i dont think it would be wise to discuss the implications of that concept .

i will tease a bit though ,

ask a well known tv panel show guest who popped 2 squats for her in one saturday morning.

ask a random copper who didnt like my wolf being off lead why he failed to run me over in his panda car.

ask why some made man south london gangster enemies became pals

dont ask about maybury st cos i might tell yer and yer mind would melt

tooting wasnt free but freedom is a state of mind that can make everyone free Wink

no comment from here on Cool
sean

Awww, I loved/love Tooting. The Tooting Tavern before the marketers changed it into The Freedom & Firkin was a splendid pub and they'd let you take your drinks across to the Sree Krishna when a table became available.

The Castle, Queen Vic and The Selkirk weren't bad either.
vegplot

Four posts to get to Tooting. No need to for a map. sean

Four posts to get to Tooting. No need to for a map.

You're mixing it up with Dorking. All roads in SW London have signs for Dorking.
dpack

do we know each other from there?

my wolf was a regular in the toot ,uncle at the shree was a wonderful chap ,mr siuwe(spp?) taught me singapore style cooking after we shared yang long form on the corner by the shree one early morning etc etc

did you do the col bogey walk from the aircraft valves factory to the ice cream works for the firework display ?

mayburyfest?longleyfest?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home