Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
DawnMK

Top Bars have arrived

Gpt home from work today and the 2 top bar hives we orderd on friday had arrived, he is in the garage now putting them together and putting on preserative ready to be moved into tommorrow.
Question the two swarms we got over the week end are going into them, what can i do to help them settle in, I read somewhere using lemon grass oil can help.
Tavascarow

Rubbing some old wax & propolis on the inside will help.
Gives new wood that lived in before smell that swarms like.
I would go carefully with lemongrass oil.
A little around the entrance is good for attracting swarms to a bait hive, but to much can have the opposite effect.
Personally I wouldn't bother.
DawnMK

Thank you Very Happy
I will stick with the beeswax and propolis
Hairyloon

Top bar hives are pretty simple aren't they?
A few short planks put together.
And you've got to put them together yourself... so you've bought a few short planks?
Are they cheap?

Reminds me of the "Perfect Pancakes" they were selling: "just add eggs and milk". Wink
DawnMK

Got them from Thorne Bees as we are both working long hours we just didnt have time to make any, they were 61 each here is the description
This type of hive is used extensively in Africa and the Caribbean. Complete with 24 simple bar frames with groove for wax starter. Flat, plywood roof. Centrally placed in the floor is a mesh panel for removing debris which also includes a simple varroa drawer. The flat packed hive is made from 1/2" exterior quality plywood. All plywood will require a timber preservative. A 10 donation is given to Bees for Development with every hive sold.

Length of body 880mm
Width at base 350mm
Width at top 485mm
Cut away entrance measures 170 x 10mm with a 340 x 50mm alighting board

we are more than happy with them, quick delivery as well, we needed other stuff as well so all came at once, Bees are now installed.
When time allows we will make a couple up as spares.
Hairyloon

I wasn't criticising, just wondering what the market was like. It seems a reasonable price.
DawnMK

If anyone is looking at making some cash I think there is a market for resonably price ntionals and top hives, the ones on ebay didnt seem that substantial although cheaper, we have ordered a national off ebay, but it dosent come with anything, I found many on there charge high delivery charges I could organise my own courier for a lot less, my only alteration I would make to the set up we got is to run a retaining stip on the top edge so you can site the top bars easily, if they are slightly over the lid dosent sit on right so hubby is going to run a small strip along the sides for me.
Hairyloon

If anyone is looking at making some cash I think there is a market for resonably price ntionals and top hives...

I think you are probably right. Anyone got plans? And what sorts of wood are suitable?
Tavascarow

If anyone is looking at making some cash I think there is a market for resonably price ntionals and top hives...

I think you are probably right. Anyone got plans? And what sorts of wood are suitable?
IMHO there's more money to be made producing nuclei, especially top bar nucs.
With the current resurgence in interest in bee keeping there is a dearth of bees to populate hives.
One breeder here in Cornwall is charging 210 for a national nuc, & 230 for a top bar nuc. As they are the only people I know producing top bar nucs anywhere in the country, no trouble selling them AFAIA, even though IMHO those are very inflated prices.
DawnMK

there are free plans on the internet available, also stands would be a good thing, we have ours sitting on bricks, again when hubby has time he is going to make some stands for all the hives, just a never ending list of things for him to do, I think with wood it dosent want to be to heavy, as I am sure there are many people like me who have to do things on there own, I just about managed to get the hives down the garden and in place on my own I did also think some sort of handles on the roof would be helpful as we dont all have long arms Rolling Eyes
And yes please top bar nucs would be great Very Happy
Hairyloon

You as well are probably right, but on that count i am lacking tools, materials and knowledge
On hive kits, I am only lacking knowledge and inclination.
Tavascarow

You as well are probably right, but on that count i am lacking tools, materials and knowledge
On hive kits, I am only lacking knowledge and inclination.
If you look at Dave Cushmans A-Z in the Links sticky in this section there are plans for all the bits of nationals as well as other types of hive.
Wink
Hairyloon

It wasn't the knowledge I was expecting to be hard to come by. Wink DawnMK

I am not a DIY'er I am happy to pay people for there skills Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home