Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Nell Merionwen

top secret project. (the beginning of Merionwen)

would anyone be interested in spoilers?
cir3ngirl

Oh yes Laughing
Went

Go on then... Shocked
Nell Merionwen

As some of you may be aware I am a phytotherapist/aromatherapist. I have a strong ethic regarding natural products so have spent the last 12 months researching natural cosmetology. This has also included a course on the subject.
With these aims and ethics in mind I am putting together a business that is dedicated to producing natural and organic skin care products. There will be a range of themes to each line and formulations.
I plan to get a quicker start to getting this off the ground with a crowd funding pitch to fund a wider range. If the pitch is not successful then I will start with a smaller range and build from there. I am aiming to take the "hobby" and make it work in a more professional and enterprising way.
I am currently working on the techie side of things with BA. Things like web design and marketing. Unfortunately his time is also being taken up with his own work and although I can read and work in HTML I still need his wider wisdom.
I have wanted to do this for a long time but never wanted to do it without fully understanding the science behind it. So I took the proactive step and went out there and filled my little brain with it.
It's quite exciting and I am hoping for the best....
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Oooooo sounds like a good 'un, can't wait to see what you come up with Very Happy
Nell Merionwen

body butters, massage bars, facial serums, bath milk, and many many more...I'm also open to suggestion.
Went

That's not a spoiler that's a full blown bath of bubbles and a rub down with a tub of body butter..... Shocked

That sounds great, I wish you well with your ventures - let us know when you get your crowd funding set up - I am sure we can all help promote it. Very Happy
Midland Spinner

What they said - go for it.

Yay
Nell Merionwen

That's not a spoiler that's a full blown bath of bubbles and a rub down with a tub of body butter..... Shocked

That sounds great, I wish you well with your ventures - let us know when you get your crowd funding set up - I am sure we can all help promote it. Very Happy

That's really kind, thank you x
Nicky Colour it green

ooo very exciting - good luck with your plans!
sally_in_wales

I think you've been in touch with the same certifying chemist that I use haven't you? If not, shout and I'll send you copies of my current paperwork so you can see how it looks after you've had it all passed, if you are going for a package deal with him it can be handy to see whats covered in the finished document Cool
Nell Merionwen

I think you've been in touch with the same certifying chemist that I use haven't you? If not, shout and I'll send you copies of my current paperwork so you can see how it looks after you've had it all passed, if you are going for a package deal with him it can be handy to see whats covered in the finished document Cool

I have yes. He has been a wonderful mine of information and help. He is a real sweetie. Having a nosey at your copies would however, be useful Smile
AnnaD

Your project sounds brilliant, I look forward to seeing the finished products! sally_in_wales

if you can bear with me a day or two I'll dig them out and forward them over. It may help you think of any small extra ingredients you need to add that haven't as yet come up. vegplot

Great stuff. Something to get your teeth into (organic toothpaste?). I hope you succeed. AnnaD

You could make sunscreen! All those ones in the shops are rather dubious, especially when they contain aluminium. Nell Merionwen

Sunscreen will be looked into. Cool Nell Merionwen

for those with fb access here is the fb page.
When the website is up and running there will be a blog on there to show updates and so on but for now there is this.
Barefoot Andrew

I hope you succeed.

Me too. I want to be a kept man Wink
A.
Green Rosie

Oooh - best of luck Very Happy catbaffler

Good luck - I've just "liked" your page! Very Happy Nell Merionwen

Good luck - I've just "liked" your page! Very Happy

Thank you Lorna and Rosie x
lettucewoman

oooooooh...'citing! Good luck!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Snowball

Very exciting. Very best of luck. Chickem

Good luck Cool
You will be brilliant x
Mithril

Good luck with it. MornieG

Sounds a fantastic enterprise and good on you for taking the leap of faith and going for it. Every good wish for your success. Just want to find a moisturiser for my maturing...................oh ok aging....skin that actually has any effect, getting dryer all the time.

Mo.XX
Nell Merionwen

Sounds a fantastic enterprise and good on you for taking the leap of faith and going for it. Every good wish for your success. Just want to find a moisturiser for my maturing...................oh ok aging....skin that actually has any effect, getting dryer all the time.

Mo.XX

it's in hand Wink
Rob R

I hope you succeed.

A.

Kept where?
Went

I hope you succeed.

A.

Kept where?

Probably in the lab instead of a rabbit Shocked
Nell Merionwen

I hope you succeed.

A.

Kept where?
In the shed! Laughing
Nell Merionwen

I hope you succeed.

A.

Kept where?

Probably in the lab instead of a rabbit Shocked
now there is an idea!
Barefoot Andrew

Shocked
A.
Went

Shocked
A.

Did you really think this was just a mess around - get out now before you're ex foliated and buffed

http://tinyurl.com/b7wkrl5

it is all planned out......
Nell Merionwen

That scary Smithesque photo would Not make good advertising Very Happy NorthernMonkeyGirl

If you need any allergic-to-the-21st-century testers, give us a shout Wink Nell Merionwen

If you need any allergic-to-the-21st-century testers, give us a shout Wink you're on x Shan

On the website side, I have found Serif Webplus X6 to be very useful. OtleyLad

Best of luck with all that Nell. I'm sure you'll do well. flower Nell Merionwen

I am going to spend this afternoon with pen and paper doing formulating Smile powerjen

Good luck with your new venture!

I make toiletries and remember the formulating part was the hardest bit of it all. It was one thing to 'make a product' but it was something else completely to then put that concoction down on paper as an exact formulation!
Nell Merionwen

Good luck with your new venture!

I make toiletries and remember the formulating part was the hardest bit of it all. It was one thing to 'make a product' but it was something else completely to then put that concoction down on paper as an exact formulation!
Thank you x
I tend to do it the other way around. I formulate on paper and transfer to percentages. Then I know I can reproduce accurately and scale up or down.
sort of start with a mission statement and go from there.
sally_in_wales

its calculating allergen percentages that always gives me a headache, partly because the IFRA website is so horrible to find your way around, and even very common and widely considered to be 'safe' ingredients often have just enough of one of the notifiable potential allergens to need it adding to the label. I do have a spreadsheet that crunches most of the numbers for me, but I like to do the odd one from scratch to double check no errors are creeping in, and it always takes me ages Nell Merionwen

its calculating allergen percentages that always gives me a headache, partly because the IFRA website is so horrible to find your way around, and even very common and widely considered to be 'safe' ingredients often have just enough of one of the notifiable potential allergens to need it adding to the label. I do have a spreadsheet that crunches most of the numbers for me, but I like to do the odd one from scratch to double check no errors are creeping in, and it always takes me ages

It's labelling that is taking up most of the time....Gah...rules and regs!
sally_in_wales

Yep. On the plus side, once you have it cracked for most of your range, a new variation isnt that hard to do as you have the basic layout already prepared.
I think the reg that I found most painful was the stamped for trade scales being so expensive compared to an identical but not stamped model.
Nell Merionwen

Yep. On the plus side, once you have it cracked for most of your range, a new variation isnt that hard to do as you have the basic layout already prepared.
I think the reg that I found most painful was the stamped for trade scales being so expensive compared to an identical but not stamped model.
This is the reason that anything I am making has to be a test sample to give away at the moment. I'm praying the crowd funding pitch pans out. If not I will have to take things really slowly as all available funds will have to go on regulation and suitable equiptment leaving little for raw ingredients. However, I'm not adverse to slowly slowly catchy monkey Smile
Nell Merionwen

Twitter set up @Merionwen Went

Twitter set up @Merionwen

In time a Pinterest account would be good and useful to drive traffic through to your site.
sally_in_wales

the website address is showing an error when you click through from twitter. I know it isnt all ready yet but some sort of pretty holding screen would be an idea maybe?
Nell Merionwen

the website address is showing an error when you click through from twitter. I know it isnt all ready yet but some sort of pretty holding screen would be an idea maybe?

I know...we're on it Wink *pokes BA with stick*
Nell Merionwen

In time a Pinterest account would be good and useful to drive traffic through to your site.

ooh good point!
Nell Merionwen

Pinterest done. User name is Merionwen...imaginative eh? Nell Merionwen

Merionwen e-mail is set up.
Helen@merionwen.co.uk
Barefoot Andrew

I know...we're on it Wink *pokes BA with stick*

It's in hand...
A.

ETA Basic 1&1 holding page in place for now. Will sort something merionwen-esque later.
mochasidamo

I am going to spend this afternoon with pen and paper doing formulating Smile

How are you dealing with the extortionate lab testing costs? Probably a bit our of date but we don't do any creams and potions with our hive products at 150 a recipe....
sally_in_wales

How are you dealing with the extortionate lab testing costs? Probably a bit our of date but we don't do any creams and potions with our hive products at 150 a recipe....

Its not quite so bad these days, there are a couple of certifying chemists who will do 'groups' of recipes together, allowing for a very small amount of variation within a specified set of ingredients. Nell and I use the same chemist and whilst its still a major expense, its nowhere near as bad as it was when I first got my soaps certified. You still have to cough up for stamped for trade scales, register as a comsetics manufacturer with the DTI, have trading insurance that specifically covers cosmetics and all the other usual stuff, but about 180 will now get a small handful of closely related recipes certified as one batch.
Nell Merionwen

Its not quite so bad these days, there are a couple of certifying chemists who will do 'groups' of recipes together, allowing for a very small amount of variation within a specified set of ingredients. Nell and I use the same chemist and whilst its still a major expense, its nowhere near as bad as it was when I first got my soaps certified. You still have to cough up for stamped for trade scales, register as a comsetics manufacturer with the DTI, have trading insurance that specifically covers cosmetics and all the other usual stuff, but about 180 will now get a small handful of closely related recipes certified as one batch.

What Sally said. The only real restriction I have found so far is in the controls over packaging. Any creams/lotions have to be in an air tight container and open jars are not really an option due to contamination. A sensible requirement really. But I'm looking in to it.
mochasidamo

Excellent Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home