Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Penny Outskirts

Town and Country Planning Act

Interesting evening's reading material! Don't they ever complicate things Rolling Eyes

I think we should have a go at re-writing the Town and Country planning act, to incorporate the "Living on your own land" proposal.

The whole act is here in it's current form:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

Part 4, Class A and Class B have potential to be amended :

PART 4 - TEMPORARY BUILDINGS AND USES

Class A

Permitted development:

A. The provision on land of buildings, moveable structures, works, plant or machinery required temporarily in connection with and for the duration of operations being or to be carried out on, in, under or over that land or on land adjoining that land.

.. (A.1 Dealing with mining)

A.2 Development is permitted by Class A subject to the conditions that, when the operations have been carried out—

(a) any building, structure, works, plant or machinery permitted by Class A shall be removed, and

(b) any adjoining land on which development permitted by Class A has been carried out shall, as soon as reasonably practicable, be reinstated to its condition before that development was carried out.

This would seem to allow what we would like to do, but needs clarifying.

Class B specifically refers to the 28 day rule:

Class B
Permitted development
B. The use of any land for any purpose for not more than 28 days in total in any calendar year...

Somehow changing these two bits in some way is possibly what is required.

Remember though, these are just the general rules governing planning, local planners can interpret these to fit in with local environmental needs. What we need to establish is the principal of the right to erect a temporary dwelling on land which is being used for purpose of self-sufficiency, for longer than 28 days, but fulfilling all the requirements of Class A, so that when you move on, no one will know you have ever been there.

It must be conscise, not be open to misinterpretation, or be able to be exploited by developers to gain permanent planning.

Off you go then... Very Happy
Rob R

Re: Town and Country Planning Act

Penny wrote:

You don't want what I could manage to write at 11pm... Wink
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:

Be funny though Laughing I can't think anymore now. Reading the act this evening has been enough for my brain to cope with. A stab at it in the morning is probably a better idea!
JohnB

I once attended a talk by someone who had a devious plan involving the 28 day rule and 13 adjoining plots of land, but I can't remember the details now.

There is an active Tiny House movement in the USA, and many tiny houses are built on trailers to get round the building codes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJLSoUkh1Vs

One of those, and 13 plots of land could be a solution! Buy 13 large plots with other people, and divide them into smaller plots! It would be interesting to work out how to create and maintain gardens!

I'm going to a creating eco-village networking event at Lammas next weekend, and some useful ideas may come out of that.
Jo S

Penny wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Penny wrote:

Be funny though Laughing I can't think anymore now. Reading the act this evening has been enough for my brain to cope with. A stab at it in the morning is probably a better idea!

A former job of mine involved reading Bills and Acts. There was much stabbing of one's eyeballs involved, no matter what time of day.
Penny Outskirts

Part 4 and part 6 are the bits to read,

I'm playing with part 6 class B

At the moment, adding (h) to the Permitted Development options. So far I've got "(h) the provision, rearrangement or replacement of a single temporary dwelling for the... sole use of the landowner, where the development is reasonally neccessary for the purpose of self sufficient living"

Then there would need to be definitions for "temporary dwelling", "landowner", "Reasonally neccessary" and "self sufficient living"

Gah!!!!
Rob R

I don't feel any closer to coherent thought on the subject this morning neither pale
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
I don't feel any closer to coherent thought on the subject this morning neither pale

Laughing Good night?
Rob R

Reading a 'new' book - The Theft of the Countryside
Penny Outskirts

Rob R wrote:
Reading a 'new' book - The Theft of the Countryside

Why doesn't amazon do a blurd on books - Mad

Good?
Rob R

'Interesting' is the word I would use. You could try the authors website: http://www.marionshoard.co.uk/

Published in 1980 and written as the farmer firmly the evil villain, who of course was heavily subsidised back then.
Penny Outskirts

I've e-mailed her with a link to the government website Laughing
Rob R

Rolling Eyes Laughing

I've just finished The Politics of Self Sufficiency, which was written around the same time - it was interesting to note how things have changed, and how they haven't...
Penny Outskirts

Love this quote:

"The poor themselves can create a poverty-free world — all we have to do is to free them from the chains that we have put around them."

Muhammad Yunus
James

JohnB wrote:
I once attended a talk by someone who had a devious plan involving the 28 day rule and 13 adjoining plots of land, but I can't remember the details now.

You could do it, but it would involve being a bit nomadic. The law requires that no PERMANENT structure is emplaced, so living in a dismantleable building, like a yurt for example, could be done thus:

Set up 13 seperate companies. sell off your small holding in 13 portions to the 13 comanies. Each company has a seperate "blue line" within the T&C rules (total land curtilage under legal ownership). If you divided it like a cake with 13 wedges, you could put your Yurt right in the middle and without detailed land surveying, it would be very hard to say whose blue line you were within.
JohnB

James wrote:
You could do it, but it would involve being a bit nomadic. The law requires that no PERMINANT structure is emplaced, so living in a Yurt, for example

I've lived in my van right outside my house for nearly 9 months. I'm not putting up and taking down a yurt every month, when I could start the engine and drive my home a few yards!

I'm getting involved with the new Welsh One Planet Development policy (part of TAN6). It looks very promising.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home