Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Tay

Transporting a fireplace

I've just acquired a Victorian fireplace on eBay. It will replace a modern chrome, neon blue-lighted eyesore that is currently defiling our living room. Although it's local, it will be too far to carry. Does anyone have any idea what size car you'd need to transport a fireplace? All I know is that it is just shy of 50inches wide. Or is a van the only way?
Ty Gwyn

Normally the Victorian lounge cast and tiled fireplaces are usually 38 x 38 ins,
There are letters and numbers on the back of the cast at the top,that you can date the fireplace from,i forget the formula,but i`m sure you can find it on the internet,or ask an antique dealer.
Tay

That's really helpful, thank you.
dpack

unless you have a large estate car by the time you have wrapped it in blankets etc to stop it getting damaged or damaging the car a van will be much easier

they are quite heavy and awkward to balance so unless you have enough space to hold both ends/sides it easy to trap a finger if wriggling them into a car boot etc ,if the do go in it can sometimes be quite hard to get them out as well.
Tay

Went down the van route in the end. Thanks for the advice.
dpack

with big heavy things van is usually the best option ,ive broken a few fingers trying to get stuff in or out of cars .
gregotyn

I thought they came apart, into mantle, sides, with tiles and middle if they are big which yours certainly is!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home