Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
wellington womble

Transylvanian Naked Necks

Anyone raised these? I can't say they really appeal, but I've read they make good meat birds. I'm trying a bit of everything this year to see what works for us here. So far, I've got Dorkings, Croad Langshans, Poulet not-de-Bresse, Light Sussex and Salmon Faveroles. Don't really want monster Jersey Giants or Brahmas, can't find any Ixworths. What other table birds are good (I want to try some Ross/Cobb types for for comparison, but I can't take 50 at once at the moment)
Ty Gwyn

Would`nt be surprised if there is Cornish Giant in the breed mix of a Ross Cob.
dpack

are those the ones that look like vultures crossed with a small carnivorous dinosaur?
wellington womble

Yep. Hideous imho, but supposed to be good meaty birds. I was looking at commercial meat hybrids, and these are one of the ones available.
dpack

thought so, i met some and although they look well scary they actually seemed quite nice ( compared to some breeds )
Chez

I've known a couple of people who eat them and they report good things. They're too freaky looking for me though Smile
dpack

re meat breeds the norfolk black has my recommendation for taste, texture and size but i have no idea about timings, food to meat conversion or personality.
dpack

ps i do mean chooks not the turkeys of the same name Wink
wellington womble

So long as they don't attack me, I'm not concerned at the moment. I just want to try different things and see what works for us.

ETA can't find any, except a sort of franchised growers arrangement. They do seem to be bred for free range.

How're your Cobbs going, Chez?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

re meat breeds the norfolk black has my recommendation for taste, texture and size but i have no idea about timings, food to meat conversion or personality.

If you want a taste test, sainsburys are selling these, whole and in bits.
dpack

that is where i discovered them , quite a few later i'm still impressed at how good they are.
chickenlady

I've raised a few in the past. They were one of the most friendly birds I've come across. Gentle and calm. Can't comment on how they taste though.
wellington womble

That's good to know. My supposedly calm Dorking (who is just eight weeks old) went for my shoes when I caught his run mates for ringing. I plumped for some eBay Ixworths in the end, but the geese and ducks will vacate the incubator in a couple of weeks, so I might give these a go next.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home