Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
gz

tree ID please

I've done a blogpost, including a request for tree ID....apologies for not putting the picture straight on here,but it is 3Mb...

http://gzandco.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/more-gardening.html

Edible? Or just leave it for the birds....
OtleyLad

Looks like Whitebeam (Sorbus aria):

Fruit - raw or cooked and used in preserves etc. The fruit is usually bletted if it is going to be eaten raw[2, 3, 5, 105, 115, 183]. This involves storing the fruit in a cool dry place until it is almost but not quite going rotten. At this stage the fruit has a delicious taste, somewhat like a luscious tropical fruit[K]. Fruit from some trees has a pleasant mild flavour and a mealy texture, we like eating small quantities of it. The fruit can also be dried and ground into a powder and mixed with cereals such as wheat[2, 46, 66]. The fruit is about 10 - 12mm across[200].

This is from here.
gz

Thankyou Smile
gz

looking closer, the leaves are not atall serrated.
It does look like some sort of sorbus,but the leaves look like a prunus!
Mistress Rose

Could it be Swedish whitebeam? It is often grown as a street tree as it is fairly small and compact. If it is a whitebeam the underside of the leaves should be white, which is hard to tell from the picture. Otherwise it could be some sort of crab apple, as some of the ornamentals have very odd fruit.

Were the flowers spread our as individual ones, or in flat plates of flower? The former would suggest crab apple, the latter whitebeam.
gz

just looked at swedish whitebeam...the leaves on that are indented, almost like hawthorn.
I'm thinking more prunus than sorbus now, but the fruits still look like rowanberries so far
tahir

I think it's some kind of sorbus, not a prunus. Where's mochyn?
sean

Where's mochyn?

In a tent somewhere dressed up as Medieval-Biggles Mum?
dpack

Laughing

re the tree it does seem more likely to be sorbus than prunus from the description so far

there are rather a lot of them and they also cross breed to give hybrid ones.

perhaps the name is less important than does it taste ok,some of the sorbus var have very nice berries for jelly but there are a variety of sources that recon there are toxicity issues with some types and either raw or over ripe berries can be BAD.
gz

as far as I can gather it is the seeds that are the toxic problem (cyanide compounds, as with apple pips)

Will report back on taste, possibly combined with the local wild apples....
Falstaff

as far as I can gather it is the seeds that are the toxic problem (cyanide compounds, as with apple pips)

Will report back on taste, possibly combined with the local wild apples....

Plum seeds, almonds etc all have those "cyanide compounds" - anything which tastes of almonds and is natural will.

However the concentration is so very low that for humans they are effectively non-poisonous unless consumed in huge amounts.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home